Lockdown Survival - what are you doing?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
BlueSky
Name: David

Re: Lockdown Survival - what are you doing?

Post by BlueSky » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:56 pm

It's amazing to watch somebody who knows what they're doing with that stuff.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:29 pm

gwells wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:47 pm
yeah.

or like where they took out a wall, and instead of fixing the plaster between the two rooms, they put a drop ceiling in the kitchen that runs across where that wall used to be.

:rolleyes:

or where my electrical panel has circuits that when i cut them off, turn off outlets in 3 different rooms on two different floors. but not all of the outlets in any of those rooms.
funny I had to fix a lot of that stuff already. mainly the wall switches working outlets in different rooms :banghead:

in the room I am extending now they ran plumbing thru the wall instead of next to the header 14 inches above it. wtf :crybaby: so i had to reroute the plumbing first. then I had to rerun 2 outlets that were daisychained. :scratch:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:30 pm

mattcantwin wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:23 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:07 pm

I am still figuring it out. I have never been able to make it right imo. :crybaby:
I think that's the secret; you don't have to make it "right" - just close enough.
my dad told me the samething. i easily get sucked into creating a headache trying to make sheetrock perfect.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:32 pm

BlueSky wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:56 pm
It's amazing to watch somebody who knows what they're doing with that stuff.
yep you are correct. i knew a guy who could mud in corners and finish them all in one day. he was amazing at it.

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:57 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:24 pm
gwells wrote:
yeah.

or like where they took out a wall, and instead of fixing the plaster between the two rooms, they put a drop ceiling in the kitchen that runs across where that wall used to be.

or where my electrical panel has circuits that when i cut them off, turn off outlets in 3 different rooms on two different floors. but not all of the outlets in any of those rooms.
Ha! Reminds me of my old house. There was such a rat's nest of wiring it is an absolute wonder the house never burned down.

When we renovated the house, we actually tore down the section that had the worst electrical offenses. I was glad to see it gone so I didn't have to get the "you are a shithead" glare from my electrician.
An electrician declined to do work at one of my prior residences. Reason was “Mickey Mouse”.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:21 pm

HapaHapa wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:57 pm
Ryeguy wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:24 pm
gwells wrote:
yeah.

Ha! Reminds me of my old house. There was such a rat's nest of wiring it is an absolute wonder the house never burned down.

When we renovated the house, we actually tore down the section that had the worst electrical offenses. I was glad to see it gone so I didn't have to get the "you are a shithead" glare from my electrician.
An electrician declined to do work at one of my prior residences. Reason was “Mickey Mouse”.
That is my house :mrgreen:

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:34 am

*sigh*

there is a lot of "mickey mouse" here in the renovations they did before we bought. much of which you don't find out until you really start to pull things apart.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:56 am

The immense happiness I feel about the fact that I cut apart our very old playscape and had the pieces hauled away is incredibly disproportionate to how hard the job actually was. But I'm happy, so I guess it's the little things.

Now I need to get grass to grow in the giant patch of dirt that was left behind.

unsub073
Name: chris

Post by unsub073 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:19 am

gwells wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:34 am
*sigh*

there is a lot of "mickey mouse" here in the renovations they did before we bought. much of which you don't find out until you really start to pull things apart.
We are afraid of what we will find when we start looking at doing that on our inside. Ours was built in 1973, and has gone through at least 3 renovations prior to us buying it, and we are always amazed at the previous owner's "handy" work.

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:39 am

maybe more "all thumbs" than 5 fingers handy.

i love the underlying construction of our house. built in 1951, all brick exterior, plaster walls (in that transition time, plaster on blue board not lathe), interior walls are 2x6 construction (which meant an extra deep medicine cabinet in the bathroom). and while no basement, a very accessible crawlspace.

but everything done to the house by owners was half-assed.

amckiwi
Name: Stu

Post by amckiwi » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:03 pm

01C76A94-34D3-4840-9118-E49F203D4432.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fastward
Fast Eddie

Post by fastward » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:29 am

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Sun May 03, 2020 1:00 pm

Made a delicious "kitchen sink" stromboli (oscar meyer bologna, gallo sliced salami, bulk italian sausage, some of my kid's lunch string cheese, kraft parm, couple slices of baby swiss, dash of dried italian herbs) with muffaletta as the sauce (giardiniera and tapenade mixed together). Was actually better the next day as you could cut perfect cold slices, and then pan fry each side in olive oil for crispiness (not pictured).

Then Friday night helped my buddy make a giant batch of Seafood Paella as a pre-sold togo special for 40 people at his steak house (him pictured)

Blaine
Name: Blaine

Post by Blaine » Sun May 03, 2020 3:29 pm

sierra11b wrote:Made a delicious "kitchen sink" stromboli (oscar meyer bologna, gallo sliced salami, bulk italian sausage, some of my kid's lunch string cheese, kraft parm, couple slices of baby swiss, dash of dried italian herbs) with muffaletta as the sauce (giardiniera and tapenade mixed together). Was actually better the next day as you could cut perfect cold slices, and then pan fry each side in olive oil for crispiness (not pictured).

Then Friday night helped my buddy make a giant batch of Seafood Paella as a pre-sold togo special for 40 people at his steak house (him pictured)

The Paella looks terrific! Last time I had it was a year ago when I married a couple in Mallorca. The Stromboli loos great too! My wife makes a great one too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Mon May 04, 2020 6:52 pm

sierra11b wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 1:00 pm
Made a delicious "kitchen sink" stromboli (oscar meyer bologna, gallo sliced salami, bulk italian sausage, some of my kid's lunch string cheese, kraft parm, couple slices of baby swiss, dash of dried italian herbs) with muffaletta as the sauce (giardiniera and tapenade mixed together). Was actually better the next day as you could cut perfect cold slices, and then pan fry each side in olive oil for crispiness (not pictured).
That sounds delicious, albeit a little too salty, or was it?

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Thu May 07, 2020 2:02 pm

Seeing as we've been staying safe at home; my wife felt we should pick up a couple of Adirondack chairs at Costco.

I put one together today - for her.

Not sure if I'm ready to give mine up.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Thu May 07, 2020 2:18 pm

^^^ Cool!

I just invested in one of these (stock photo - not my backyard. Mine will have more empty beer cans around it :fro: ):

My idea of the perfect social distancing tool.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Thu May 07, 2020 2:36 pm

Selym wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 6:52 pm
sierra11b wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 1:00 pm
That sounds delicious, albeit a little too salty, or was it?
Not at all. It actually all melds together quite well. In fact, I even sprinkled a little kosher salt over all the ingredients before rolling, and just a little over the top of the dough. Skip if you think it'll be too salty and you should still be just fine on seasoning.

A great chef taught me once that you can always add but never take away. If you need a little extra seasoning you can always sprinkle over the top of the finished product.

jlswatch
Name: John Schneider

Post by jlswatch » Thu May 07, 2020 4:13 pm

Today baked a no knead bread we made yesterday. Fantastic bread and minimum effort. Image

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Thu May 07, 2020 4:50 pm

That bread looks good. :cheers:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu May 07, 2020 5:43 pm

My wife called me while I was out grocery shopping to inform one of our hives had swarm. Something new for me to figure out today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Thu May 07, 2020 7:06 pm

I would love to be your neighbor

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Thu May 07, 2020 8:37 pm

toxicavenger wrote:My wife called me while I was out grocery shopping to inform one of our hives had swarm. Something new for me to figure out today.
I think those are murder hornets and they are eating one of your chickens!

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Fri May 08, 2020 8:44 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 5:43 pm
My wife called me while I was out grocery shopping to inform one of our hives had swarm. Something new for me to figure out today.
WTF is swarm? That looks crazy.
:htfu:

unsub073
Name: chris

Post by unsub073 » Fri May 08, 2020 9:44 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 5:43 pm
Burn it to the ground?