Lockdown Survival - what are you doing?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
User avatar
BlueSky
Posts: 461
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:47 pm
Name: David

Re: Lockdown Survival - what are you doing?

Post by BlueSky » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:56 pm

It's amazing to watch somebody who knows what they're doing with that stuff.

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 45643
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Lockdown Survival - what are you doing?

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:29 pm

gwells wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:47 pm
yeah.

or like where they took out a wall, and instead of fixing the plaster between the two rooms, they put a drop ceiling in the kitchen that runs across where that wall used to be.

:rolleyes:

or where my electrical panel has circuits that when i cut them off, turn off outlets in 3 different rooms on two different floors. but not all of the outlets in any of those rooms.
funny I had to fix a lot of that stuff already. mainly the wall switches working outlets in different rooms :banghead:

in the room I am extending now they ran plumbing thru the wall instead of next to the header 14 inches above it. wtf :crybaby: so i had to reroute the plumbing first. then I had to rerun 2 outlets that were daisychained. :scratch:

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 45643
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Lockdown Survival - what are you doing?

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:30 pm

mattcantwin wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:23 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:07 pm

I am still figuring it out. I have never been able to make it right imo. :crybaby:
I think that's the secret; you don't have to make it "right" - just close enough.
my dad told me the samething. i easily get sucked into creating a headache trying to make sheetrock perfect.

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 45643
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Lockdown Survival - what are you doing?

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:32 pm

BlueSky wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:56 pm
It's amazing to watch somebody who knows what they're doing with that stuff.
yep you are correct. i knew a guy who could mud in corners and finish them all in one day. he was amazing at it.

User avatar
HapaHapa
Posts: 8532
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 9:57 pm
Name: Eric
Location: Redondo Beach, CA

Re: Lockdown Survival - what are you doing?

Post by HapaHapa » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:57 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:24 pm
gwells wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:47 pm
yeah.

or like where they took out a wall, and instead of fixing the plaster between the two rooms, they put a drop ceiling in the kitchen that runs across where that wall used to be.

:rolleyes:

or where my electrical panel has circuits that when i cut them off, turn off outlets in 3 different rooms on two different floors. but not all of the outlets in any of those rooms.
Ha! Reminds me of my old house. There was such a rat's nest of wiring it is an absolute wonder the house never burned down.

When we renovated the house, we actually tore down the section that had the worst electrical offenses. I was glad to see it gone so I didn't have to get the "you are a shithead" glare from my electrician.
An electrician declined to do work at one of my prior residences. Reason was “Mickey Mouse”.

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 45643
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Lockdown Survival - what are you doing?

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:21 pm

HapaHapa wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:57 pm
Ryeguy wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:24 pm
gwells wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:47 pm
yeah.

or like where they took out a wall, and instead of fixing the plaster between the two rooms, they put a drop ceiling in the kitchen that runs across where that wall used to be.

:rolleyes:

or where my electrical panel has circuits that when i cut them off, turn off outlets in 3 different rooms on two different floors. but not all of the outlets in any of those rooms.
Ha! Reminds me of my old house. There was such a rat's nest of wiring it is an absolute wonder the house never burned down.

When we renovated the house, we actually tore down the section that had the worst electrical offenses. I was glad to see it gone so I didn't have to get the "you are a shithead" glare from my electrician.
An electrician declined to do work at one of my prior residences. Reason was “Mickey Mouse”.
That is my house :mrgreen:

User avatar
gwells
Posts: 7468
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 11:05 am
Name: Greg
Location: NoVA

Re: Lockdown Survival - what are you doing?

Post by gwells » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:34 am

*sigh*

there is a lot of "mickey mouse" here in the renovations they did before we bought. much of which you don't find out until you really start to pull things apart.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Posts: 10543
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:03 am
Name: Jeff

Re: Lockdown Survival - what are you doing?

Post by JBZ » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:56 am

The immense happiness I feel about the fact that I cut apart our very old playscape and had the pieces hauled away is incredibly disproportionate to how hard the job actually was. But I'm happy, so I guess it's the little things.

Now I need to get grass to grow in the giant patch of dirt that was left behind.
Image

User avatar
unsub073
Posts: 3011
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:26 am
Name: chris
Location: Florida

Re: Lockdown Survival - what are you doing?

Post by unsub073 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:19 am

gwells wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:34 am
*sigh*

there is a lot of "mickey mouse" here in the renovations they did before we bought. much of which you don't find out until you really start to pull things apart.
We are afraid of what we will find when we start looking at doing that on our inside. Ours was built in 1973, and has gone through at least 3 renovations prior to us buying it, and we are always amazed at the previous owner's "handy" work.

User avatar
gwells
Posts: 7468
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 11:05 am
Name: Greg
Location: NoVA

Re: Lockdown Survival - what are you doing?

Post by gwells » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:39 am

maybe more "all thumbs" than 5 fingers handy.

i love the underlying construction of our house. built in 1951, all brick exterior, plaster walls (in that transition time, plaster on blue board not lathe), interior walls are 2x6 construction (which meant an extra deep medicine cabinet in the bathroom). and while no basement, a very accessible crawlspace.

but everything done to the house by owners was half-assed.

User avatar
amckiwi
Posts: 2101
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:11 pm
Name: Stu

Re: Lockdown Survival - what are you doing?

Post by amckiwi » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:03 pm

01C76A94-34D3-4840-9118-E49F203D4432.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
fastward
Fast Eddie
Posts: 11298
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: Lockdown Survival - what are you doing?

Post by fastward » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:29 am

Image

User avatar
sierra11b
Posts: 5320
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:37 am
Name: Eric
Location: Calunicornia

Re: Lockdown Survival - what are you doing?

Post by sierra11b » Sun May 03, 2020 1:00 pm

Made a delicious "kitchen sink" stromboli (oscar meyer bologna, gallo sliced salami, bulk italian sausage, some of my kid's lunch string cheese, kraft parm, couple slices of baby swiss, dash of dried italian herbs) with muffaletta as the sauce (giardiniera and tapenade mixed together). Was actually better the next day as you could cut perfect cold slices, and then pan fry each side in olive oil for crispiness (not pictured).

Image
Image
Image
Image

Then Friday night helped my buddy make a giant batch of Seafood Paella as a pre-sold togo special for 40 people at his steak house (him pictured)

Image
Image

User avatar
Blaine
Posts: 786
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:44 pm
Name: Blaine
Location: USA

Re: Lockdown Survival - what are you doing?

Post by Blaine » Sun May 03, 2020 3:29 pm

sierra11b wrote:Made a delicious "kitchen sink" stromboli (oscar meyer bologna, gallo sliced salami, bulk italian sausage, some of my kid's lunch string cheese, kraft parm, couple slices of baby swiss, dash of dried italian herbs) with muffaletta as the sauce (giardiniera and tapenade mixed together). Was actually better the next day as you could cut perfect cold slices, and then pan fry each side in olive oil for crispiness (not pictured).

Image
Image
Image
Image

Then Friday night helped my buddy make a giant batch of Seafood Paella as a pre-sold togo special for 40 people at his steak house (him pictured)

Image
Image
The Paella looks terrific! Last time I had it was a year ago when I married a couple in Mallorca. The Stromboli loos great too! My wife makes a great one too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Selym
Posts: 2297
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:16 pm
Name: Myles
Location: Massive Two Shits

Re: Lockdown Survival - what are you doing?

Post by Selym » Mon May 04, 2020 6:52 pm

sierra11b wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 1:00 pm
Made a delicious "kitchen sink" stromboli (oscar meyer bologna, gallo sliced salami, bulk italian sausage, some of my kid's lunch string cheese, kraft parm, couple slices of baby swiss, dash of dried italian herbs) with muffaletta as the sauce (giardiniera and tapenade mixed together). Was actually better the next day as you could cut perfect cold slices, and then pan fry each side in olive oil for crispiness (not pictured).
That sounds delicious, albeit a little too salty, or was it?

User avatar
mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama
Posts: 15746
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: Lockdown Survival - what are you doing?

Post by mattcantwin » Thu May 07, 2020 2:02 pm

Seeing as we've been staying safe at home; my wife felt we should pick up a couple of Adirondack chairs at Costco.


I put one together today - for her.


Image




Not sure if I'm ready to give mine up.


Image
Image

User avatar
Ryeguy
Posts: 4010
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:03 pm
Name: Chris
Location: Rye

Re: Lockdown Survival - what are you doing?

Post by Ryeguy » Thu May 07, 2020 2:18 pm

^^^ Cool!

I just invested in one of these (stock photo - not my backyard. Mine will have more empty beer cans around it :fro: ):
Image

My idea of the perfect social distancing tool.

User avatar
sierra11b
Posts: 5320
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:37 am
Name: Eric
Location: Calunicornia

Re: Lockdown Survival - what are you doing?

Post by sierra11b » Thu May 07, 2020 2:36 pm

Selym wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 6:52 pm
sierra11b wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 1:00 pm
Made a delicious "kitchen sink" stromboli (oscar meyer bologna, gallo sliced salami, bulk italian sausage, some of my kid's lunch string cheese, kraft parm, couple slices of baby swiss, dash of dried italian herbs) with muffaletta as the sauce (giardiniera and tapenade mixed together). Was actually better the next day as you could cut perfect cold slices, and then pan fry each side in olive oil for crispiness (not pictured).
That sounds delicious, albeit a little too salty, or was it?
Not at all. It actually all melds together quite well. In fact, I even sprinkled a little kosher salt over all the ingredients before rolling, and just a little over the top of the dough. Skip if you think it'll be too salty and you should still be just fine on seasoning.

A great chef taught me once that you can always add but never take away. If you need a little extra seasoning you can always sprinkle over the top of the finished product.

jlswatch
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:32 am
Name: John Schneider

Re: Lockdown Survival - what are you doing?

Post by jlswatch » Thu May 07, 2020 4:13 pm

Today baked a no knead bread we made yesterday. Fantastic bread and minimum effort. Image

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk


User avatar
mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama
Posts: 15746
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: Lockdown Survival - what are you doing?

Post by mattcantwin » Thu May 07, 2020 4:50 pm

That bread looks good. :cheers:
Image

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 45643
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Lockdown Survival - what are you doing?

Post by toxicavenger » Thu May 07, 2020 5:43 pm

My wife called me while I was out grocery shopping to inform one of our hives had swarm. Something new for me to figure out today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
sierra11b
Posts: 5320
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:37 am
Name: Eric
Location: Calunicornia

Re: Lockdown Survival - what are you doing?

Post by sierra11b » Thu May 07, 2020 7:06 pm

I would love to be your neighbor

User avatar
BacoNoir
Posts: 3299
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 6:33 pm
Name: Roger
Location: Colorado

Re: Lockdown Survival - what are you doing?

Post by BacoNoir » Thu May 07, 2020 8:37 pm

toxicavenger wrote:My wife called me while I was out grocery shopping to inform one of our hives had swarm. Something new for me to figure out today.
I think those are murder hornets and they are eating one of your chickens!
Image

User avatar
matt.wu
Wu
Posts: 28946
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:33 pm
Name: m@
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA

Re: Lockdown Survival - what are you doing?

Post by matt.wu » Fri May 08, 2020 8:44 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 5:43 pm
My wife called me while I was out grocery shopping to inform one of our hives had swarm. Something new for me to figure out today.
WTF is swarm? That looks crazy.
:htfu:

User avatar
unsub073
Posts: 3011
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:26 am
Name: chris
Location: Florida

Re: Lockdown Survival - what are you doing?

Post by unsub073 » Fri May 08, 2020 9:44 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 5:43 pm
My wife called me while I was out grocery shopping to inform one of our hives had swarm. Something new for me to figure out today.
Burn it to the ground?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], hoppes-no9, mellonb1, tyd450, unsub073 and 63 guests