Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Selym
Name: Myles

Re: Global slow down...

Post by Selym » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:27 am

Seppia wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:21 pm
Also, try to make 100% sure the network is free of other encumbrances. Even if it’s not your fault, a spotty connection that causes issues in communication is going to leave a general bad impression of you.

In bocca al lupo (Italian for best of luck)!
Exactly. Ditch WiFi and plug in to Ethernet if you can.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:11 pm

59yukon01 wrote:
JDC222 wrote:This is an interesting take on things. He is not the most eloquent of speakers but certainly some interesting opinions;

I don't doubt any of this and have had similar thoughts. Not saying this virus isn't a real threat either.

I remember about 10 years ago at my neighbor's party I met and spoke with a retired Secret Service Agent to several past President's, including Ronald Reagan. He's actually written a book called the Sneakin Deacon.

China was brought up and I remember he specifically stated China was, and is, our biggest threat/enemy, and are not to be trusted at all.
Agree.

caesarmascetti

Post by caesarmascetti » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:32 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:11 pm
59yukon01 wrote:
JDC222 wrote:This is an interesting take on things. He is not the most eloquent of speakers but certainly some interesting opinions;

I don't doubt any of this and have had similar thoughts. Not saying this virus isn't a real threat either.

I remember about 10 years ago at my neighbor's party I met and spoke with a retired Secret Service Agent to several past President's, including Ronald Reagan. He's actually written a book called the Sneakin Deacon.

China was brought up and I remember he specifically stated China was, and is, our biggest threat/enemy, and are not to be trusted at all.
Agree.
Chinese should be made to pay reparations to all the countries effected by this. Their attempt to hide the virus, imprisoning the doctor that first discovered it is the reason for the spread. The totalitarian Chinese state is a danger to the entire world

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:53 pm

caesarmascetti wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:32 pm
hoppyjr wrote:
59yukon01 wrote:

Agree.
Chinese should be made to pay reparations to all the countries effected by this. Their attempt to hide the virus, imprisoning the doctor that first discovered it is the reason for the spread. The totalitarian Chinese state is a danger to the entire world
Be careful about going down that path, as similar claims could be made about American politicians' efforts...
:htfu:

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Post by aikiman44 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:17 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:53 pm
caesarmascetti wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
59yukon01 wrote:

Agree.
Be careful about going down that path, as similar claims could be made about American politicians' efforts...
If you’re paying attention you’re aware how completely we effed this up.
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:53 pm

caesarmascetti wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
59yukon01 wrote:

Agree.
Chinese should be made to pay reparations to all the countries effected by this.
They already are scrambling by providing aid to Italy, France, Japan, Korea etc.

Italians could be heard praising China from the balconies. Trying to sweep all the bad PR under the rug.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:03 pm

Henryj wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:42 pm
You guys should try unemployment/job hunting while burning through savings in the middle of all this. I’m not doing so well.
Sorry Henry hope your luck changes and you find a job fast. See you got a virtual interview sounds like some of our members done that before. When I was having a hard time getting a job promotion some of the field supervisors knew I could do the job thought I was messing up on the interviews why I did not get promoted in the past. So the parks, auto shop and street supervisors of the city I worked for gave me a practice interview it helped I got the job the next time I got interviewed. Maybe some of our forum members can do that for you with a computer practice interview most are computer savvy. Just a crazy idea I had maybe there in the same field as you. Then they can give you pointers after the practice interview.
Last edited by River Rat on Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire

Post by aikiman44 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:14 pm

I hope the aid package is not shaping up to be just another tax break for the big corporations.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:44 pm

aikiman44 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:14 pm
I hope the aid package is not shaping up to be just another tax break for the big corporations.
It will be, with a side of free handouts to people who don’t really pay taxes all on the back of the middle class. Same as it ever was.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:55 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
aikiman44 wrote:
It will be, with a side of free handouts to people who don’t really pay taxes all on the back of the middle class. Same as it ever was.
Don’t forget local government, they spend it like water and federal tax dollars are the backstop.

caesarmascetti

Post by caesarmascetti » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:09 pm

matt.wu wrote:
caesarmascetti wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
59yukon01 wrote:

Agree.
Nope, sorry there is no equivalency between communist, totalitarian, Red China and the US, nope not buying it sorry

caesarmascetti

Post by caesarmascetti » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:11 pm

aikiman44 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:17 pm
matt.wu wrote:
caesarmascetti wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
59yukon01 wrote:

Agree.
If you’re paying attention you’re aware how completely we effed this up.
Of course I read all about the gov't jailing reporters and doctors try to warn the world in Nov about this thing in the US, oh wait that was in China

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:18 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:55 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:
aikiman44 wrote:
Don’t forget local government, they spend it like water and federal tax dollars are the backstop.
As a libertarian at heart, I hate to say this, but if there ever was a bureaucracy in place, it should be one to know where the money is due when shit like this happens, so EBT/welfare recipients aren't blowing $1000 on liquor and powerball.

I'm sure the IRS could do it but not in short order during a crisis. We've had stimulus three? times in the last two decades?

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire

Post by aikiman44 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:47 pm

That’s a myth started back in the Reagan days. Most ‘welfare’ goes to disabled white people and children.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:55 pm

aikiman44 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:47 pm
That’s a myth started back in the Reagan days. Most ‘welfare’ goes to disabled white people and children.
Yep, statistically the vast majority of Welfare is spent on housing, food, transportation, and healthcare, but it is beneficial for some groups to convince people otherwise.

Also rural people tend to have higher poverty levels than people in large metro areas and receive more welfare. Much of this is concentrated in the south.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:01 pm

Rates versus counts:
https://www.nap.edu/read/9719/chapter/8
Which is obvious.

It doesn’t matter though - sorry to knock this thread off course. I’m going stir crazy.

If you get your “free” $1,000, I hope it helps you out. Maybe try to do something for somebody else, who’s even more hard up than you.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:04 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:01 pm

If you get your “free” $1,000, I hope it helps you out. Maybe try to do something for somebody else, who’s even more hard up than you.
Yeah, if we get it, thinking of leaving it as a big tip for a struggling local restaurant or something.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:22 pm

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:25 am

caesarmascetti wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:09 pm
matt.wu wrote:
caesarmascetti wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
Agree.
Nope, sorry there is no equivalency between communist, totalitarian, Red China and the US, nope not buying it sorry
Nobdy said the US and China are equivalent. But the early response to COVID infections in China and the US was for both administrations to downplay the issue rather than getting on the front foot and people will die as a result.

Now this; https://www.businessinsider.com.au/earl ... ?r=US&IR=T

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:48 am

Whatever happens, the response from those in charge will be that our efforts were worth it, even if we only have a fraction of data due to confirmed cases.

caesarmascetti

Post by caesarmascetti » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:54 am

bedlam wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:25 am
caesarmascetti wrote:
matt.wu wrote:
caesarmascetti wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
Agree.
Nobdy said the US and China are equivalent. But the early response to COVID infections in China and the US was for both administrations to downplay the issue rather than getting on the front foot and people will die as a result.

China did more than "downplay" they arrested the doctor who was trying to warn the world, and also several journalists who tried to get the word out. If they had been honest in November and warned the world as they should have this would have been very different IMO. The best thing to learn from this is that communist, totalitarian China cannot be trusted and should be treated as such. Then to try and spread disinformation that it was US servicemen who brought the disease to China, or threaten to withhold components for medication. The best thing the US can do after this is divest itself from China.

IMO your doing it as well comparing on an equivalent level China and the US

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:07 am

India is doing it better than most: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-17/ ... n/12059024

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:11 am

Henryj wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:28 pm
Asking for good thoughts, I have a job interview Friday. It’ll be interesting, I’ve never done a virtual interview before.
Kick ass Sailor!! :cheers:

Let us know how it plays out
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:19 am

caesarmascetti wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:54 am
bedlam wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:25 am
caesarmascetti wrote:
matt.wu wrote:
caesarmascetti wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
Agree.

China did more than "downplay" they arrested the doctor who was trying to warn the world, and also several journalists who tried to get the word out. If they had been honest in November and warned the world as they should have this would have been very different IMO. The best thing to learn from this is that communist, totalitarian China cannot be trusted and should be treated as such. Then to try and spread disinformation that it was US servicemen who brought the disease to China, or threaten to withhold components for medication. The best thing the US can do after this is divest itself from China.

IMO your doing it as well comparing on an equivalent level China and the US
This is entertaining as hell, but believe me - as one who gets to peak behind various curtains once in a while - don't believe a thing you see in the media - from any side of the aisle. Most "news", and I include both US and foreign outlets, rarely include any actual facts. There are scores of people employed by governments, corporations and extremely wealthy individuals, who work 24/7 to produce "news" that the sheeple swallow whole.

I'm not a tin hat wearing conspiracy nut - just saying that a lot of what you see/hear is produced and disseminated by people with an agenda (again, on every side of the aisle) and a giant grain of salt should be taken when consuming "news".

Carry on! :salute:
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:32 am

bedlam wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:07 am
India is doing it better than most: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-17/ ... n/12059024
India has some very innovative healthcare delivery methods.