Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Swatch cancels Zurich watch event over coronavirus fears

Post by logan2z » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:21 am

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/watchmakin ... s/45536998

Reported earlier this month but I hadn't seen anything about it so maybe news to others here.

It looks like Watches and Wonders (formerly SIHH) has also just been canceled.

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/watches--- ... s/45582792

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Re: Swatch cancels Zurich watch event over coronavirus fears

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:34 am

I’m flying back from disneyworld and things like this are really making me nervous.

We were careful but I really hope nobody in my family got exposed.

Honeybadger

Post by Honeybadger » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:45 am

I’m supposed to be in Vegas week after next for ConExpo. Trade show with an estimated 130,000 attendees. Can’t believe it hasn’t been cancelled yet. Definitely have mixed feelings about going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:47 am

Why the huge panic? I don’t get it?

Sure it can blossom but it’s nowhere near the damage flu does every year in this country. Right now it’s purely political which is sad. SF has hoards of diseased homeless on its streets but thought it was wise to declare an emergency for coronavirus despite the fact ZERO in that region have the virus? :rolleyes:

Wash hands frequently, carry some hand sanitizer, tell your kids to keep their hands away from their face unless clean, use the towel to handle door handles after washing hands in public restrooms. You’ll be fine.

My job requires me to wash my hands dozens of times a day and I teach people how to properly wash their hands. I do apply hand sanitizer before eating lunch as I’m constantly on the road and often eat in my vehicle. I haven’t been sick in two+ years.
Last edited by sierra11b on Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:53 am

sierra11b wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:47 am
Why the huge panic? I don’t get it?

Sure it can blossom but it’s nowhere near the damage flu does every year in this country. Right now it’s purely political which is sad. SF has hoards of diseased homeless on its streets but thought it was wise to declare an emergency for coronavirus despite the fact ZERO in that region have the virus? :rolleyes:

Wash hands frequently, carry some hand sanitizer, tell your kids to keep their hands away from their face unless clean. You’ll be fine.
Right. The flu has had more impact.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:56 am

You can wash your hands 100 times in a day and it won’t make a difference when someone coughs or sneezes next to you.

I’m not one to believe hype- but this is a nasty virus that has a much higher percentage of fatality than the flu and can land peope in the icu faster than the flu.
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:04 am

BBK357 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:56 am
You can wash your hands 100 times in a day and it won’t make a difference when someone coughs or sneezes next to you.
True. But it’s not panic time.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:25 am

I’m not panicking, but until a trustworthy country starts to report fatalities given a large enough n, I think an excess of care makes sense.

I’ve talked to Chinese students who managed to make it out in time and they’re telling a much more dire story that what the Chinese government is reporting.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:33 am

I just read a good article on this. It turns out, the viruses with lower mortality rates are actually more difficult to contain.

For example, flu mortality is only about .1%, but many people walk around infected, so it spreads.

This new virus is supposed to have a mortality rate of about 2% with the potential for some people to be infected but have no symptoms. So again, easy to spread.

In contrast, SARS and MERS were about 60% mortality rates but killed far fewer people.

The higher mortality viruses are actually less dangerous because you are either so sick or you die before you can press the illness.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:37 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:25 am
I’ve talked to Chinese students who managed to make it out in time and they’re telling a much more dire story that what the Chinese government is reporting.
Right. Anything a communist country states you can pretty much multiply by three or more.

But on the same token I’m not sure there’s any solid data on mortality rate so not sure how Ben has such data? I know he’s in the medical profession but guessing there’s no cases at his hospital either. From what health officials says currently it seems like it’s high risk populations (infant, elderly, immunocompromised) which is basically the same for flu and any other considerable pathogen.

I’m dealing with an establishment currently going through epidemiological traceback for foodborne illnesses because of a couple causalities. You won’t hear about it because it’s not a major chain such as chipotle, but it happens all the time. 3000 people die of foodborne illness every year in the US and those are just the confirmed cases investigated by the health authority. So be sure to starve yourselves as well!

DenverBuff
Name: Vic

Post by DenverBuff » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:50 am

By all accounts, this is just a particularly nasty flu bug that of the people infected, 80% only feel mild effects. So no, this isn't Stephen Kings "The Stand".

I'm old enough to remember the Swine Flu, Bird Flu and SARS panics. I'll wait for more evidence to come in before I start wearing a mask.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:56 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:33 am
I just read a good article on this. It turns out, the viruses with lower mortality rates are actually more difficult to contain.

For example, flu mortality is only about .1%, but many people walk around infected, so it spreads.

This new virus is supposed to have a mortality rate of about 2% with the potential for some people to be infected but have no symptoms. So again, easy to spread.

In contrast, SARS and MERS were about 60% mortality rates but killed far fewer people.

The higher mortality viruses are actually less dangerous because you are either so sick or you die before you can press the illness.
Yeah, viruses with high mortality rates are not particularly efficient from an evolutionary standpoint, because they have a harder time propagating. So they're less likely to lead to a pandemic. Also, I believe the mortality rate for SARS is about 10%. MERS has a higher rate (like 35% or something), but health professionals theorize the a lot of MERS cases are mild and thus don't get reported, which might skew the results. It's still some scary stuff, no doubt.

On flu, the low mortality rate combined with the general public's acceptance of it at this point both probably lead to the spread ("it's just the flu, I can run out to the drug store/grocery store").

The 2% mortality rate is troubling, especially when you look at it from a large scale, but it's probably too early to assume that this is where the mortality rate will end up. There's too much that's unknown right now.

So I personally don't think it's time to panic, but it is time to be concerned. My wife and I are in our early fifties and both in relatively good shape, so I'm not particularly worried about us. The virus seems to be leaving kids alone for the most part (unclear whether it's skipping them or they are being infected but asymptomatic). I'm more worried about my parents and other more elderly relatives.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:02 am

DenverBuff wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:50 am
By all accounts, this is just a particularly nasty flu bug that of the people infected, 80% only feel mild effects. So no, this isn't Stephen Kings "The Stand".

I'm old enough to remember the Swine Flu, Bird Flu and SARS panics. I'll wait for more evidence to come in before I start wearing a mask.
I was diagnosed with n1h1 in 2009. It was terrible.

I’d be cautious if I were a late senior or had infant aged kids, but I wouldn’t change my daily habits just yet.

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:14 am

DenverBuff wrote:By all accounts, this is just a particularly nasty flu bug that of the people infected, 80% only feel mild effects. So no, this isn't Stephen Kings "The Stand".

My line of thought :shrug:
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

caesarmascetti

Post by caesarmascetti » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:28 am

This is so much hype.....statistically 98% of all people that have had it have recovered, 2% have dies of that 2% 89% had other issues compromised immune systems, pulmonary disorders etc.....so other malady. SO the odds of a healthy person contracting it and dying is less that 1%.

For perspective nearly 10,000 people have dies this year in the USA of the flu...the normal seasonal flu

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:19 pm

The case out of Sacramento was a woman from Solano county. Travis AFB is in Solano county and that’s where some traveling back were quarantined. The virus didnt just drop out of the sky. You can bet the local health authority or airmen didn’t fully contain the situation. Hopefully the area epidemiologists can contain and clear everyone associated. The local authorities aren’t giving any information but you can bet that’s were it started here.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:23 pm

sierra11b wrote:
DenverBuff wrote:

I’d be cautious if I were a late senior or had infant aged kids, but I wouldn’t change my daily habits just yet.

Yes H1N1 was nasty. My wife got it when she was pregnant with my son. I was scared to death because I just took care of a baby the week before who’s mom had it and she ended up dying, never got to see him.
DEATH FROM ABOVE

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:26 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:23 pm
sierra11b wrote:
DenverBuff wrote:

Yes H1N1 was nasty. My wife got it when she was pregnant with my son. I was scared to death because I just took care of a baby the week before who’s mom had it and she ended up dying, never got to see him.
My moms friend died from flu two years ago at 52 and in good health! She posted on FB on how she couldn’t shake it and died a week later from complications due to pneumonia.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Swatch cancels Zurich watch event over coronavirus fears

Post by BBK357 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:29 pm

I’m not panicking but I would def be prepared, especially those in larger cities with a lot of international flights.

If we believe China and their botched numbers- it has almost a 3% mortality rate. The flu is about .05% mortality rate- of course that changes every year.

So if everyone in the world got the flu, 15 million would die. If everyone in the world got Wuhan Coronavirus, over 220 million would die.

I don’t get any inside info from work- we do get updates. I am not a traveler like some of you guys. What makes this more dangerous than other virus’s is the incredibly long incubation period.

And yes it was mentioned- for some odd reason it’s not really harming kids. So strange.

Last edited by BBK357 on Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DEATH FROM ABOVE

DenverBuff

Post by DenverBuff » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:34 pm

I just find it incredible that these viruses emerge every single year from the same regions of the Far East and can be traced directly to millions of people sleeping, eating, crapping and fornicating within arms length of poultry, pigs, bats and rodents. And every year we have to scramble around and spend bazillions to develop a vaccine because of non-existent hygiene in - I'll say it - 3rd world shitholes.

Yet at the same time - and without getting too political here - we are supposed to feel guilty about secure borders and tightening immigration standards. Ellis Island was nobody's idea of paradise. But it did serve a function.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:59 pm

^^^THIS! For the record I've never felt guilty about having secure borders.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/11-chinese-mi ... d=67620551

caesarmascetti

Post by caesarmascetti » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:05 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:29 pm
I’m not panicking but I would def be prepared, especially those in larger cities with a lot of international flights.

If we believe China and their botched numbers- it has almost a 3% mortality rate. The flu is about .05% mortality rate- of course that changes every year.

So if everyone in the world got the flu, 15 million would die. If everyone in the world got Wuhan Coronavirus, over 220 million would die.

I don’t get any inside info from work- we do get updates. I am not a traveler like some of you guys. What makes this more dangerous than other virus’s is the incredibly long incubation period.

And yes it was mentioned- for some odd reason it’s not really harming kids. So strange.
I wonder out of the 3% mortality rate, what percentage of those were of compromised immune systems, older or had other conditions I would venture the large majority

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:33 pm

i would think most of the fatalities for most of these viruses are centered in the "at-risk" population. which is also true of whatever strain of the flu we get every year.

i fear pandemic more in something that has a longer incubation time. which leaves someone infectious longer before showing symptoms and, for virulent strains, incapacitated.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:41 pm

gwells wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:33 pm
i fear pandemic more in something that has a longer incubation time. which leaves someone infectious longer before showing symptoms and, for virulent strains, incapacitated.
This does seem more scary. Something with a high mortality rate that people can carry and easily transmit for a longer period of time while remaining asymptomatic or only mildly symptomatic.

DenverBuff

Post by DenverBuff » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:47 pm

According to the most recent analysis, the source of the virus was a cat that was served up as the main entree at some Chinese festival.

Apparently, Morris ate a bat with coronavirus and - after maybe the worst decision ever in the history of event catering - here we are.