NEW MEMBER needs some info

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Fishboy37
Name: JM

NEW MEMBER needs some info

Post by Fishboy37 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:25 am

[img]Good Morning ,
Thank you for having me I'm brand new to this form . I am not an avid collector but I do enjoy the beauty of Seiko dive watches.
I presently own a Vintage Tuna Can and was given a watch I know nothing about. I was hoping to get some info here Its a model# 6105-8000 serial #8719130. The watch is an automatic and works fine. The only issue is the stem doesn't tighten down , it clicks in and out for adjustments but won't lock closed, not sure if that is normal? The other issue is it has a Seiko stainless band not sure if thats the original ?
I was hoping to get an idea what year this watch dates from and a estimate value?
Thanks in advance Fishboy37
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TSD
Name: Tom

Re: NEW MEMBER needs some info

Post by TSD » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:49 am

Fishboy37 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:25 am
I was hoping to get an idea what year this watch dates from and a estimate value?
Welcome. Your Seiko serial contains the production year and month of July 1968. If you google Watchrecon, you’ll see recent sales listings of that generation 6105, and it’s probably worth finding a watchmaker to change that stripped crown so it locks.

There are some nice rubber strap reproductions out there for a 6105. Maybe check out an Uncle Seiko waffle.
https://www.uncleseiko.com/store/p7/19m ... .2%29.html
Last edited by TSD on Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:10 am

Welcome! Man I love the dial and hand combo on that model. If you like the watch, definitely get the movement fixed. I like to have a perfect crystal on my watches, but otherwise I would leave everything else as is. Can't tell by the pictures, is the watch dirty or really really scratched?

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:27 am

the crown does not screw down on that model. it was a locking crown. looks like someone thought the watch had a snapon back so they used a pry tool on it. this watch is not called the Tuna can.

Fishboy37

Post by Fishboy37 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:03 am

TSD wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:49 am
Fishboy37 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:25 am
Welcome. Your Seiko serial contains the production year and month of July 1968. If you google Watchrecon, you’ll see recent sales listings of that generation 6105, and it’s probably worth finding a watchmaker to change that stripped crown so it locks.

There are some nice rubber strap reproductions out there for a 6105. Maybe check out an Uncle Seiko waffle.
https://www.uncleseiko.com/store/p7/19m ... .2%29.html
Thank you for your info !!!!

Fishboy37

Post by Fishboy37 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:09 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:27 am
the crown does not screw down on that model. it was a locking crown. looks like someone thought the watch had a snapon back so they used a pry tool on it. this watch is not called the Tuna can.
I am aware this is not a Tuna Can ,I also own one besides this watch . Im sorry but this particular watches crown does not screw down to lock? Not sure I understand . I can pull up a click for time adjust and another click to adjust date . When click down to the original position the crown spins freely . Is that normal ? and does it promote leakage?
Thank you

gonzomantis
Name: Mike

Post by gonzomantis » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:26 pm

There was a great link posted in the Seiko sub forum recently. It looks like a pretty comprehensive article.

The crown doesn't screw down like others. It is more of a twist action, that likely isn't working because the pin is damaged.

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=69068

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:58 pm

Fishboy37 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:09 am
toxicavenger wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:27 am
I am aware this is not a Tuna Can ,I also own one besides this watch . Im sorry but this particular watches crown does not screw down to lock? Not sure I understand . I can pull up a click for time adjust and another click to adjust date . When click down to the original position the crown spins freely . Is that normal ? and does it promote leakage?
Thank you
The crown does not screw down on this model of watch. zyes this is normal. Yes this model leaked often. No not all divers need a screw down crown. But this model did have some problems due to this design. If you decide to keep it you should get at least he gaskets serviced on it.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:54 am

Nice watch worth keeping and worth the money to have it serviced. They made two versions you have the older one here is mine some similarity's but differences in case and crown.
Some info on yours
https://wornandwound.com/hunting-down-a ... 6105-8000/
And the other model of it
https://wornandwound.com/review/afforda ... eiko-6105/
Both did not have screw down crown. A locking crown when you change the time or set the date when you push the crown back down you turn it and it will lock in place it just stops turning hard to explain. Been wearing mine for a 3-4 weeks now I normally switch watches but it seems my watch habit changing just not as important any more.