Looking for details on my great grandfathers pocket watch.

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Ryan

Looking for details on my great grandfathers pocket watch.

Post by Ryan » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:08 am

I first saw this about 10 years ago on my fathers (formally my grandfathers) roll desk. Dad said it belonged to his grandfather, but didn't really know much about it. Well he's traveling the nation and stopped by to give it to me for Christmas. I'm in love with it! Friends of my grandfather build the stand for it which I thought was cool. So I said LET'S OPEN IT UP. I was really surprised to see a Rolex movement inside (because I know nothing about them)

So anyway, any of you OGs have some info on this guy?

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Re: Looking for details on my great grandfathers pocket watch.

Post by Steve O. » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:42 am

Bucherer is a large watch and jewelry retailer based in Switzerland. They've sold private label watches under the Bucherer name for many years, and continue to do so today under the Carl Bucherer name. Movements by various manufacturers were used, including Rolex. I believe that they are currently the largest Rolex retailer.

I'm no expert, but I would guess by the case style that your watch dates from the 1930's or maybe a little earlier. One thing of note, and again I'm no expert, is that it appears that the dial has been refinished. The C. Bucherer's logo looks like it may not be original, as I don't believe that an apostrophe "S" was ever used.

In any case, it's a nice watch with an exceptional, nicely decorated adjusted movement, and solid gold case.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:59 am

Thanks Steve, it looks like it was serviced in 1947 (some markings inside the case back

hoppes-no9
Name: Dan

Post by hoppes-no9 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:47 pm

I know nothing about vintage pocket watches.

But I do know that this is the coolest way to display one that I've ever seen!!! :cheers:

The fact that it's been in your family for 3 generations makes it even better.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:45 am

Never found out much more but I do keep it on our mantel now. Maybe one day I’ll rehab the movement and put it in PAM style case

caesarmascetti

Post by caesarmascetti » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:49 am

Ryan wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:45 am
Never found out much more but I do keep it on our mantel now. Maybe one day I’ll rehab the movement and put it in PAM style case
Ryan let me know if you chose to to this. I had one made from a Hamilton 917 and love it.