Do you still have the watch that got you started

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
dinexus
Name: Zach

Re: Do you still have the watch that got you started

Post by dinexus » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:06 pm

Freestyle ana-digi diver that my father gifted me freshman year when I started spending lots more time in the water:

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:12 pm

HapaHapa wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:06 am
This Citizen solar, which I still wear.
I had one of those, very cool watch.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:15 pm

goaliechris wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:49 pm

The Omega started the obsession. Circa 1999. Bond is cool. Image
This watch my first big purchase too, the auto model... in 2014 I believe.

Knome
Name: Ken

Post by Knome » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:30 pm

The first watch I bought was in 2005 and it was a MTM Blackhawk in Titanium, it had the words "SPECIAL OPS" on the dial and it was so dumb I loved it. It was quartz and had dual batteries you could wirelessly recharge via an included inductive charger stand you sit the watch on. The second battery powered a torch in the dial, 3 extremely bright LED lights that lit up an amber color. It was so bright you couldn't stand to look directly at it when lit. The manual actually had stated that as well. The battery lasted several months I only charged it twice a year unless I was using the torch a ton. I bought it on a whim after winning a nice Roulette jackpot in Vegas.

I lost it in 2010 during a road trip in the pacific northwest. Possibly stolen. I was drunk a lot. Then last year I found a full kit, NOS piece in steel on eBay from a seller in, of-all-places, Vegas. I was doubtful because the "buy it now" price was only 300 bucks, but I took a risk and pulled the trigger. To my relief and surprise, the watch arrived truly in NOS condition with all boxes, accessories, papers, and stickers all intact. Pretty impressive for a 11 yr old watch. Put it on the charger and the battery charged up no problem. While quite a bit heavier than my 1st example in titanium, the new one in steel brought back a lot of good memories of camping and diving and using the torch in each environment.

It sticks out like a sore thumb in my collection now, but I'll probably never sell it.

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:33 am

I was cleaning up my flickr account and found a this photo. I received it as a gift from an ex grilfriend a couple of years before discovering watchuseek. What I like about this photo is that this has been my most worn watch. I had to send it twice to service because the bezel would seize as I used it to surf and fish. It was my only watch at the moment and sometimes I wish I had a smaller collection so I could beat them up like I did to this one. But then I do enjoy having more than one watch :grin:

unsub073
Name: chris

Post by unsub073 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:37 am

dinexus wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:06 pm
Freestyle ana-digi diver that my father gifted me freshman year when I started spending lots more time in the water:

I had several Freestyle Sharks in the beginning, and no longer have them. I almost want to pick one up just for the hell of it.

mattjmcd
Name: Matt

Post by mattjmcd » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:55 pm

A TAG/Heuer 4000 was my first "nice" watch, from about 22 years ago. I still have it and wear it in rotation. It's pretty cool. Okay, it's super uncool... but it was a gift from my then-new (and still) wife.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:27 pm

unsub073 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:37 am
dinexus wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:06 pm

I had several Freestyle Sharks in the beginning, and no longer have them. I almost want to pick one up just for the hell of it.
I had the Shark's digital back in the day.

WatchTimes
Name: Jeremy

Post by WatchTimes » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:27 am

My first watch over $250 was a Movado Museum or a Baume Mercier Chrono. This was back in the late 90's.
It was simply a watch till I could afford a Rolex which is what I had always wanted.
A year or so later I bought a SS Datejust as I could not justify the funds for the SD which is what I really wanted.
I still have that DJ even though I RARELY ever wear it. I plan on giving it to my son someday and explaining what it meant to me to be able to buy it for myself yada yada

petethegreek
Name: Pete

Post by petethegreek » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:10 pm

711DE890-DCE9-4D9F-AC94-98A74BD54F26.jpeg
As a kid, I saved up for this Seiko and got it at Service Merchandise (for those who remember that store).

It reminded me of the watch James Bond/Roger Moore wore in one of the movies, but can’t remember which one. Fortunately my mom thought it was a cool watch and helped me out a bit.

Wore the heck out of it in middle school...now it only leaves the house for a battery change - I’m shocked it still works after + or - 30 years.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rick
Name: Rick-Holland

Post by rick » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:51 am

No as it is i think it's about 40 years ago.
But found a pic of what it was.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

petethegreek
Name: Pete

Post by petethegreek » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:41 am

You are right on the age, it has to be 40 or so years old.

The movie was Octopussy.

Here’s the watch:
77A7DA40-F74E-4EFB-A01A-C510AA39149F.png
rick wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:51 am
No as it is i think it's about 40 years ago.
But found a pic of what it was.

gonzomantis
Name: Mike

Post by gonzomantis » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:24 am

As a kid I saved for weeks, and bought a Casio. I thought it was cool because it had a display that would show a calendar for an entire month! I picked up the odd Lorus or Seiko quartz throughout youth and college, but never thought of it as collecting.

It was in the late 90's that a friend bought me this on one of her trips to Russia. We thought it was cool because she could pick up Vostocks for $10, and Poljot chronographs for $25. My first watch with a rotating bezel, and screw-down crown sent me down the rabbit hole.

It still runs! Not a great timekeeper, though.