Flipper’s diary

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Post Reply
User avatar
deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Posts: 10944
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:29 pm
Name: Paul

Flipper’s diary

Post by deepcdvr » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:03 pm

Don’t know if you guys have ever seen this guy’s stuff, but I’m a kindred spirit. Fun read

http://flippersdiary.blogspot.com/2016/ ... arine.html

Anyway, he briefly talks about the B&R Type Marine - has anyone here had one? Looks cool :salute:
VR/
Paul

NEVER SETTLE!

CarloDWC
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:08 am
Name: Carlo

Re: Flipper’s diary

Post by CarloDWC » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:33 pm

I like that watch, I saw it for sale a couple of times actually and it seemed sleek and wearable. I think it was also not too expensive. The bracelet reminds me of Sinn... I wonder if they were making it for B&R...

Thank you for posting, Paul.

User avatar
deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Posts: 10944
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:29 pm
Name: Paul

Re: Flipper’s diary

Post by deepcdvr » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:39 pm

CarloDWC wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:33 pm
I like that watch, I saw it for sale a couple of times actually and it seemed sleek and wearable. I think it was also not too expensive. The bracelet reminds me of Sinn... I wonder if they were making it for B&R...

Thank you for posting, Paul.
Yeah bracelet looks Sinn/Tutima’ish

40mm and quartz, used about 800 bucks, give or take
VR/
Paul

NEVER SETTLE!

User avatar
Ruggs
Posts: 492
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:19 pm
Name: Andrew
Location: San Francisco

Re: Flipper’s diary

Post by Ruggs » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:43 pm

Honestly reading this guy's stuff kinda got me into this a few years ago. Kind of a deep rabbit hole as there are a lot of posts, but a good read.

User avatar
BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Posts: 25075
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:01 pm
Name: Vladimir Makarov
Location: Ohio

Flipper’s diary

Post by BBK357 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:45 pm

Great size. So light you forgot you had a watch on. Only problem is strap options. Super small lug spacing so only a few B&R factory options.


Image
-
Image
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

CarloDWC
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:08 am
Name: Carlo

Re: Flipper’s diary

Post by CarloDWC » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:50 pm

deepcdvr wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:39 pm
CarloDWC wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:33 pm
I like that watch, I saw it for sale a couple of times actually and it seemed sleek and wearable. I think it was also not too expensive. The bracelet reminds me of Sinn... I wonder if they were making it for B&R...

Thank you for posting, Paul.
Yeah bracelet looks Sinn/Tutima’ish

40mm and quartz, used about 800 bucks, give or take
Now that you mentioned the specs I recall seeing a similar model with oil filled case, something having an unbelievable water resistance lie 11,000 m, yeah, here it is:

Image

User avatar
BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Posts: 25075
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:01 pm
Name: Vladimir Makarov
Location: Ohio

Flipper’s diary

Post by BBK357 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:53 pm

-
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

User avatar
deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Posts: 10944
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:29 pm
Name: Paul

Re: Flipper’s diary

Post by deepcdvr » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:07 pm

CarloDWC wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:50 pm
deepcdvr wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:39 pm
CarloDWC wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:33 pm
I like that watch, I saw it for sale a couple of times actually and it seemed sleek and wearable. I think it was also not too expensive. The bracelet reminds me of Sinn... I wonder if they were making it for B&R...

Thank you for posting, Paul.
Yeah bracelet looks Sinn/Tutima’ish

40mm and quartz, used about 800 bucks, give or take
Now that you mentioned the specs I recall seeing a similar model with oil filled case, something having an unbelievable water resistance lie 11,000 m, yeah, here it is:

Image
Lol that’s nuts

I do remember that one now :thumbsup:
VR/
Paul

NEVER SETTLE!

User avatar
dnslater
Posts: 5731
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:52 pm
Name: Nick
Location: Indiana, USA

Re: Flipper’s diary

Post by dnslater » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:05 am

I've come very close several times in picking one of these up. Hard to find in good condition that isn't either a crazy price, or without many of the bracelet links.

User avatar
Ryeguy
Posts: 3477
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:03 pm
Name: Chris
Location: Rye

Re: Flipper’s diary

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:32 am

All I can say is “wow”. Also, either that guy is single or he has an extremely tolerant wife.

His opinion on the ZRC 300 has actually renewed my interest in that oddball watch.

User avatar
Steve O.
Posts: 1523
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:31 pm
Name: Uh, Steve
Location: Atlanta OTP

Re: Flipper’s diary

Post by Steve O. » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:07 am

Had one of these about ten years ago - Type Demineur/Bomb Disposal. Similar to the Type Marine. As I recall, lightweight and comfortable.


Image

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Posts: 9685
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:59 am
Name: Tom

Re: Flipper’s diary

Post by AtomicTom » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:48 am

Paul, that was ridiculously fun, and seriously have never even seen this
model before to tell the truth, and he's had it multiple times?!

But it really does look awesome like he said ! :salute:

Speaking of awesome though Paul. What a site, along with collection
of watches he has, or has had. :o It's pretty extraordinary actually !

Not sure have been to his site before, but sure am glad I know about
it now. ..Thanks so much sir !!!

User avatar
Ryeguy
Posts: 3477
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:03 pm
Name: Chris
Location: Rye

Re: Flipper’s diary

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:13 pm

Ruggs wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:43 pm
Honestly reading this guy's stuff kinda got me into this a few years ago. Kind of a deep rabbit hole as there are a lot of posts, but a good read.
Definitely a good read, but it also provides an interesting insight into how neurotic watch collectors can be.

For example, in his Steinhart blurb he talks about how he wore the watch (and I assume he liked it) until his boss pointed out it was a Rolex wanna-be (my summation, not his words). He immediately sold the watch.

Later, in his blurb about the Rolex 16660 Sea Dweller, he discusses how he felt troubled for having so much money tied up in one watch, so it too was flipped.

I think a psycho-analyst could have some fun looking into this guys internal conflict between acceptance and fiscal responsibility.

I guess the old advise of "buy what you like, wear what you like, ignore the opinions of others" was lost on him.

User avatar
deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Posts: 10944
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:29 pm
Name: Paul

Re: Flipper’s diary

Post by deepcdvr » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:23 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:13 pm
Ruggs wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:43 pm
Honestly reading this guy's stuff kinda got me into this a few years ago. Kind of a deep rabbit hole as there are a lot of posts, but a good read.
Definitely a good read, but it also provides an interesting insight into how neurotic watch collectors can be.

For example, in his Steinhart blurb he talks about how he wore the watch (and I assume he liked it) until his boss pointed out it was a Rolex wanna-be (my summation, not his words). He immediately sold the watch.

Later, in his blurb about the Rolex 16660 Sea Dweller, he discusses how he felt troubled for having so much money tied up in one watch, so it too was flipped.

I think a psycho-analyst could have some fun looking into this guys internal conflict between acceptance and fiscal responsibility.

I guess the old advise of "buy what you like, wear what you like, ignore the opinions of others" was lost on him.
Ryeguy wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:13 pm
Ruggs wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:43 pm
Honestly reading this guy's stuff kinda got me into this a few years ago. Kind of a deep rabbit hole as there are a lot of posts, but a good read.
Definitely a good read, but it also provides an interesting insight into how neurotic watch collectors can be.

For example, in his Steinhart blurb he talks about how he wore the watch (and I assume he liked it) until his boss pointed out it was a Rolex wanna-be (my summation, not his words). He immediately sold the watch.

Later, in his blurb about the Rolex 16660 Sea Dweller, he discusses how he felt troubled for having so much money tied up in one watch, so it too was flipped.

I think a psycho-analyst could have some fun looking into this guys internal conflict between acceptance and fiscal responsibility.

I guess the old advise of "buy what you like, wear what you like, ignore the opinions of others" was lost on him.

True, but I feel his pain to some degree. Not that i give two shts what other people think or say but if I were to keep a similar “diary” I would put him to shame. I have no idea how many watches I’ve flipped over the years, but the number would dwarf that guy. Sadly , I have consistently lost money on every single sale or trade lol
VR/
Paul

NEVER SETTLE!

User avatar
Ryeguy
Posts: 3477
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:03 pm
Name: Chris
Location: Rye

Re: Flipper’s diary

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:27 pm

Well, as crazy as I think you flippers are, I’m certainly the last person to pass judgment.

I could argue flipping is a lot more fiscally responsible than my situation with a full 20 slot watch box, of which I wear maybe 5 regularly. Even taking a loss is better than the $0 the watch is bringing in by sitting in my box gathering dust.

User avatar
r.palace
Posts: 7002
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:36 pm
Location: Tray-O-Five

Re: Flipper’s diary

Post by r.palace » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:07 pm

Ryeguy wrote:Well, as crazy as I think you flippers are, I’m certainly the last person to pass judgment.

I could argue flipping is a lot more fiscally responsible than my situation with a full 20 slot watch box, of which I wear maybe 5 regularly. Even taking a loss is better than the $0 the watch is bringing in by sitting in my box gathering dust.
This made me feel better about my serial flipping and yes that last line is why I flip when I do :grin:
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

User avatar
BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Posts: 25075
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:01 pm
Name: Vladimir Makarov
Location: Ohio

Re: Flipper’s diary

Post by BBK357 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:55 pm

Ryeguy wrote:Well, as crazy as I think you flippers are, I’m certainly the last person to pass judgment.

I could argue flipping is a lot more fiscally responsible than my situation with a full 20 slot watch box, of which I wear maybe 5 regularly. Even taking a loss is better than the $0 the watch is bringing in by sitting in my box gathering dust.

Oh I think you’re wrong.

Keeping around 20 watches would have saved me money the last few years. Instead I bought and sold and lost money on each and every one of my sales. Add service cost. Add shipping. Add the few that have been lost in the mail. It’s a money pit. If you don’t have a good plan you’re going to financially lose. I had no choice but to quit being a flipper.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

User avatar
deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Posts: 10944
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:29 pm
Name: Paul

Re: Flipper’s diary

Post by deepcdvr » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:35 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:55 pm
Ryeguy wrote:Well, as crazy as I think you flippers are, I’m certainly the last person to pass judgment.

I could argue flipping is a lot more fiscally responsible than my situation with a full 20 slot watch box, of which I wear maybe 5 regularly. Even taking a loss is better than the $0 the watch is bringing in by sitting in my box gathering dust.

Oh I think you’re wrong.

Keeping around 20 watches would have saved me money the last few years. Instead I bought and sold and lost money on each and every one of my sales. Add service cost. Add shipping. Add the few that have been lost in the mail. It’s a money pit. If you don’t have a good plan you’re going to financially lose. I had no choice but to quit being a flipper.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I’ve spent several Rolexes worth of $$ on my deals over the years :banghead:
VR/
Paul

NEVER SETTLE!

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 44234
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Flipper’s diary

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:05 am

paul you need to make a diary like this!!! lol

freaking always wanted a B&R bomb watch. they wear pretty small if i recall. kind of like a ARCHIMEDED OUTDOOR

User avatar
Ryeguy
Posts: 3477
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:03 pm
Name: Chris
Location: Rye

Re: Flipper’s diary

Post by Ryeguy » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:26 am

BBK357 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:55 pm
Ryeguy wrote:Well, as crazy as I think you flippers are, I’m certainly the last person to pass judgment.

I could argue flipping is a lot more fiscally responsible than my situation with a full 20 slot watch box, of which I wear maybe 5 regularly. Even taking a loss is better than the $0 the watch is bringing in by sitting in my box gathering dust.

Oh I think you’re wrong.

Keeping around 20 watches would have saved me money the last few years. Instead I bought and sold and lost money on each and every one of my sales. Add service cost. Add shipping. Add the few that have been lost in the mail. It’s a money pit. If you don’t have a good plan you’re going to financially lose. I had no choice but to quit being a flipper.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe, and certainly luck (i.e. lost watches, dealing with scammers, etc.) plays into the financial equation of being a flipper as well. You roll the dice a bit every time you sell, so it stands to reason a person who sells often will be bit more often as well.

I've never been a flipper, but I would think it also comes down to buying "right" and selling smartly. If you could keep your costs to about $250 per transaction (between the buying price and selling price plus shipping fees), and kept yourself to 5 or 6 transactions a year, your hobby costs you only about $1,500.

You could argue that $1,500 is "lost" money, but then again, you had the pleasure of trying out 5 or 6 watches that year. I can see some fun in that.

The biggest negative to being a "flipper" in my mind is the PITA of taking the sales photos and dealing with some WUS-type buyers. The fun I had in trying out all those watches would be quickly negated by dealing with some of those folks.

User avatar
Steve O.
Posts: 1523
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:31 pm
Name: Uh, Steve
Location: Atlanta OTP

Re: Flipper’s diary

Post by Steve O. » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:05 pm

Thought I'd weigh in here for what it's worth. I've been buying and selling watches for over twenty-five years. Before the internet, you had to find used watches at swap meets, pawn shops, and antique/thrift stores. It wans't easy, but at least you knew what you were getting. Then I discovered TZ in 2000, and it was on. I bought and sold there almost exclusively until they self-destructed some time ago. Literally hundreds of watches came and went over the years. I was the definition of a serial flipper. As I recall, most times I broke even, and sometimes even made a little. Of course the market was much different then. There certainly were no $9k Subs or GMT Masters. In fact, I bought my first Sub, a 14060, for a little less than $2.5k.

Sure, I'm still a flipper, but definitely not on the scale of those days. I've managed to keep a nice core collection that has risen in value, and mainly content myself these days with buying and selling underated vintage watches and a micro here and there. In all these years, I've only been burned twice - once small time, and once not so small. I think that may be because I try to follow two self imposed rules; I know it's a cliche, but Buy the Seller, and if even the smallest thing seems off, walk away. Or it could just be dumb luck.

User avatar
deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Posts: 10944
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:29 pm
Name: Paul

Re: Flipper’s diary

Post by deepcdvr » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:18 pm

Steve O. wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:05 pm
Thought I'd weigh in here for what it's worth. I've been buying and selling watches for over twenty-five years. Before the internet, you had to find used watches at swap meets, pawn shops, and antique/thrift stores. It wans't easy, but at least you knew what you were getting. Then I discovered TZ in 2000, and it was on. I bought and sold there almost exclusively until they self-destructed some time ago. Literally hundreds of watches came and went over the years. I was the definition of a serial flipper. As I recall, most times I broke even, and sometimes even made a little. Of course the market was much different then. There certainly were no $9k Subs or GMT Masters. In fact, I bought my first Sub, a 14060, for a little less than $2.5k.

Sure, I'm still a flipper, but definitely not on the scale of those days. I've managed to keep a nice core collection that has risen in value, and mainly content myself these days with buying and selling underated vintage watches and a micro here and there. In all these years, I've only been burned twice - once small time, and once not so small. I think that may be because I try to follow two self imposed rules; I know it's a cliche, but Buy the Seller, and if even the smallest thing seems off, walk away. Or it could just be dumb luck.
I’ve been really lucky as well and always “buy the seller”

I almost always lose money , though, because I’m impatient. That said, I suspect I wouldn’t be so upside down were it not for the internet and I had to sell in person.
VR/
Paul

NEVER SETTLE!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], HapaHapa and 23 guests