Dedalus
Professor J
Name: Jared

Re: Blancpain Barakuda

Post by Dedalus » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:34 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Chocodove wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:10 pm
Ryeguy wrote:I just picked up another boat, so my watch collection is now in “enjoy what you’ve got” mode.

I’ll always appreciate luxury watches, but I’d rather take the kids fishing or exploring the coastline than pay what Rolex is asking today.

My MM300 is more than adequate.
I actually just sold my Sub last week. It was worth way more than I paid and I got over retail even from a grey dealer. This after wearing this particular example for almost two years. Crazy.

A lot of non-watch stuff to do with that money, especially with my first little one on the way.
Congratulations!

Boats and luxury watches have nothing on discretionary income removal compared to kids.

Just wait until you price out strollers.

This ^^^Image

As far as the watches above. Great sizes. I don’t care for faux-patina, but that Zenith :love:

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:38 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:03 pm
Chocodove wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:I just picked up another boat, so my watch collection is now in “enjoy what you’ve got” mode.

I’ll always appreciate luxury watches, but I’d rather take the kids fishing or exploring the coastline than pay what Rolex is asking today.

I actually just sold my Sub last week. It was worth way more than I paid and I got over retail even from a grey dealer. This after wearing this particular example for almost two years. Crazy.

A lot of non-watch stuff to do with that money, especially with my first little one on the way.
Congratulations!

Boats and luxury watches have nothing on discretionary income removal compared to kids.

Thanks, Chris. Can't wait :mrgreen:
- Todd

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:50 pm

Chocodove wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:38 pm
Ryeguy wrote:
Chocodove wrote:

Congratulations!

I have no doubt you will be a great Dad. Teach them to love the outdoors as much as you do, and you will be well ahead of the pack.

Don’t forget the standing invite to the Seacoast.
Last edited by Ryeguy on Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:15 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:50 pm
Chocodove wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:38 pm
Ryeguy wrote:
Chocodove wrote:

Congratulations!

I have no doubt you will be a great Dad. Teach them to live the outdoors as much as you do, and you will be well ahead of the pack.

Don’t forget the standing invite to the Seacoast.
Of course, on both accounts. :thumbsup:
- Todd

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:06 am

It's crazy price wise Todd, but crazy cool to see pictures of ! :grin:

That's what I'll do..just enjoy the pics. ..Thanks very much !!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cabaiguan
Name: Raf

Post by Cabaiguan » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:13 pm

logan2z wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:27 am
Torrid wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:13 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:08 am
jimyritz wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:00 am
I love this one...but at $13,400 USD :(
That's less than a ceramic LV Rolex costs these days, and like $10,000 less than a GMT2. I'm not sure this one is particularly expensive in the current scheme of things.
It’s sad we have to preface it with those terms. It’s lunacy price wise. Are there enough buyers in the world to sustain this? Maybe my outlook has changed, but I changed jobs months ago, doubled my income and I feel even less likely to part with large sums for a watch seeing how quickly the prices go up.
I make a comfortable living, and I don't even know what my collection is "worth" these days (probably a lot). However, when you start looking at what $15,000 will buy in watches versus in everything else... :raised:

I could justify a Sub at $6,000. I can't at $12,000+. Maybe I'm just not rich enough for the watch game, but I'm in the 90-95th percentile of earning. Are watches really now a "one percenter" thing?
I think there are still reasonable deals to be had in the luxury watch world, you just have to be willing to look beyond brands like Rolex.

Personally, not much has piqued my interest for a long while but the new Zenith A384 reissue has changed that. The case shape might be polarizing but I really like it and the movement is obviously very significant horologically. If the 37mm size works for me then I will seriously consider picking one up (unfortunately I missed an opportunity to try it on at a Zenith event at Topper this week :( ).

With an MSRP of $7900 and the typical Zenith AD discount, I think the watch could be a real bargain. I'm surprised there hasn't been more chatter about it from some of the more slight-of-wrist DWCers.

I'd take this over a SS Daytona in a heartbeat (for a fraction of the price and no multi-year wait).

Agree. This Zenith is a stunner and I do like the smaller size. Rolex is just plain stupid right now. This won’t last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A ship of war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:59 am

A steel 3-hand sports watch at more than $5-6K....nah

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:42 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
I could justify a Sub at $6,000. I can't at $12,000+. Maybe I'm just not rich enough for the watch game, but I'm in the 90-95th percentile of earning. Are watches really now a "one percenter" thing?
I guess it is a numbers game....

Someone in the top 5th percentile of U.S. household family incomes would need to still spend 7-8% of their annual after-tax income to buy a new basic stainless Rolex sub. This would be a tough call for most.... however Rolex is counting on the people int he top 1-2% buying multiple Rolex watches...... and the worldwide nouveau rich in China and many other countries. Middle class is not buying Rolex watches like they could 40 years ago, but there are enough people at the top worldwide to make it work.

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Name: Jeff

Post by jswing » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:38 am

logan2z wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:35 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:
Torrid wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:13 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:08 am
jimyritz wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:00 am
I love this one...but at $13,400 USD :(
That's less than a ceramic LV Rolex costs these days, and like $10,000 less than a GMT2. I'm not sure this one is particularly expensive in the current scheme of things.
It’s sad we have to preface it with those terms. It’s lunacy price wise. Are there enough buyers in the world to sustain this? Maybe my outlook has changed, but I changed jobs months ago, doubled my income and I feel even less likely to part with large sums for a watch seeing how quickly the prices go up.
I make a comfortable living, and I don't even know what my collection is "worth" these days (probably a lot). However, when you start looking at what $15,000 will buy in watches versus in everything else... :raised:

I think there are still reasonable deals to be had in the luxury watch world, you just have to be willing to look beyond brands like Rolex.

Personally, not much has piqued my interest for a long while but the new Zenith A384 reissue has changed that. The case shape might be polarizing but I really like it and the movement is obviously very significant horologically. If the 37mm size works for me then I will seriously consider picking one up (unfortunately I missed an opportunity to try it on at a Zenith event at Topper this week :( ).

With an MSRP of $7900 and the typical Zenith AD discount, I think the watch could be a real bargain. I'm surprised there hasn't been more chatter about it from some of the more slight-of-wrist DWCers.

I'd take this over a SS Daytona in a heartbeat (for a fraction of the price and no multi-year wait).

:thatshot:

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Name: Jeff

Post by jswing » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:38 am

Chocodove wrote:

Congrats Todd! :cheers: