Oris + Hodinkee collaboration 6-26-19

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Re: Oris + Hodinkee collaboration 6-26-19

Post by logan2z » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:21 am

Despite the date window (which I could live without), I honestly think the standard 65 with blue dial is the much nicer watch for a lot less $$$

I don't see the appeal of the Hodinkee LE at all.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:26 am

As I've said before, I have no problem with someone trying to make a profit, but this is just like what happened with the Alpinist LE. It's such a dick move.

And it goes beyond this. I saw a well-known second hand dealer recently list a pre-owned Tudor BB GMT for $4,750. It just seems like dealers are taking advantage of folks well beyond what would allow them to make a reasonable profit.

I know, "don't hate the player, hate the game," and beating a dead horse at this point, but it just sours me on the whole hobby.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:48 am

JBZ wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:26 am
As I've said before, I have no problem with someone trying to make a profit, but this is just like what happened with the Alpinist LE. It's such a dick move.

And it goes beyond this. I saw a well-known second hand dealer recently list a pre-owned Tudor BB GMT for $4,750. It just seems like dealers are taking advantage of folks well beyond what would allow them to make a reasonable profit.

I know, "don't hate the player, hate the game," and beating a dead horse at this point, but it just sours me on the whole hobby.
I hate it. The few idiots who will pay anything to get a watch ruin it for everyone. I would never got into this hobby now.

abuemily
Name: Michael

Post by abuemily » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:05 am

bpax wrote:
Joeprez wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:42 pm
I think I’m gonna grab another one of these on joma...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ditto
Seeing this photo had me checking out Jomas and Recon. Think I may have to jump on one of these. I think the original is the way to go (for us thinner-wristed types, that is).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:04 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:48 am
JBZ wrote:

I hate it. The few idiots who will pay anything to get a watch ruin it for everyone. I would never got into this hobby now.
I don't think the hobby is quite so bleak. Sure, if you're talking Rolex and the insanity surrounding that brand at the moment, then yes the hobby sucks. But I think there are some really good value brands out there (Oris in general, Longines, Stowa, etc.) around which someone could create a terrific collection. One doesn't need to spend Rolex, Omega, or AP money to get a high-quality, good looking watch.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:10 am

logan2z wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:04 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
JBZ wrote:

I don't think the hobby is quite so bleak. Sure, if you're talking Rolex and the insanity surrounding that brand at the moment, then yes the hobby sucks. But I think there are some really good value brands out there (Oris in general, Longines, Stowa, etc.) around which someone could create a terrific collection. One doesn't need to spend Rolex, Omega, or AP money to get a high-quality, good looking watch.
Old Rolex, old Tudor, patek, and some AP are all that interest me. Unfortunately, most brands suck which is evinced by the exploding popularity of the few brands that don’t.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:27 am

logan2z wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
JBZ wrote:

I agree you can put together a nice collection without relying on the more expensive brands. Even at the "luxury" level, most pre-owned Omegas and Tudors (among others) can be had for reasonable prices when compared to MSRP (it's even true for a lot of Rolex models, particularly datejusts and oyster perpetuals). I just bought (another) BB 41 that sold new in May of this year, and I paid significantly less than MSRP for a gently used complete set.

I'm just annoyed by the naked attempt by second hand dealers to make outsized profits on the more popular brands or on LE's like this. People who buy a watch just to turn around and list it on ebay for $1,500 more.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:30 am

I’m just glad JLC hasn’t been included in the hype. Still one of the most interesting brands to me. I’m looking at a Duometre, and I can acquire one for the price of a new Batman on jubilee.

That’s stupid.
:htfu:

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:34 am

matt.wu wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:30 am
I’m just glad JLC hasn’t been included in the hype. Still one of the most interesting brands to me. I’m looking at a Duometre, and I can acquire one for the price of a new Batman on jubilee.

That’s stupid.
JLC is a brand that I respect a lot, and I was really glad to hear that your service experience was good. Unfortunately all of their dress watches have grown too large for me. Even so, I still might hunt down one of their smaller long discontinued complicated watches.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:54 am

matt.wu wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:30 am

That’s stupid.
JLC is one of my favorite brands and I think they represent good value. FWIW I also had an excellent service experience with them.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:59 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:10 am
logan2z wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
JBZ wrote:

Old Rolex, old Tudor, patek, and some AP are all that interest me. Unfortunately, most brands suck which is evinced by the exploding popularity of the few brands that don’t.
It sucks that you like the same watches as Ben Clymer :lol:

What I can say regarding the hobbie is that I should have bought the Pepsi GMT that I wanted since I was little instead of a lot of other meaningless shit I bought before getting married (cars, guns, knives, boats other watches). At this point, I may never get it as I won't pay the current prices for one.

I still like some Omega watches, and brands like Oris, Longines and Hamilton have some nice models out there.

Regarding JLC, I also wonder why prices have skyrocketed... probably because Ben Clymer doesn't like them :lol:

I still want a Master Memovox and a Tribute to Deep Sea... both 40mm.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:03 pm

Joeprez wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:59 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
logan2z wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
JBZ wrote:

What I can say regarding the hobbie is that I should have bought the Pepsi GMT that I wanted since I was little instead of a lot of other meaningless shit I bought before getting married (cars, guns, knives, boats other watches). At this point, I may never get it as I won't pay the current prices for one.

I still like some Omega watches, and brands like Oris, Longines and Hamilton have some nice models out there.

Regarding JLC, I also wonder why prices have skyrocketed... probably because Ben Clymer doesn't like them :lol:

Richemont seems to kill the sort of hardcore collector demand that drives crazy prices. ALS is a top top brand and their prices are flat.

You make a good point though - my enjoyment of this hobby does seem to have decreased in proportion to Hoedicky's ascension. It was a lot more fun when it was just a close knit group of weirdos posting on TZ's shitty antiquated board.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:24 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:03 pm
Joeprez wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
logan2z wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
JBZ wrote:

Richemont seems to kill the sort of hardcore collector demand that drives crazy prices. ALS is a top top brand and their prices are flat.

You make a good point though - my enjoyment of this hobby does seem to have decreased in proportion to Hoedicky's ascension. It was a lot more fun when it was just a close knit group of weirdos posting on TZ's shitty antiquated board.
Here here, TZ was good back in the late 90's when Ashford owned them. That's when I joined. Probably when most modern IG highrollers were still sucking on their mommy's tittie.

Whoever is paying current Rolex prices is helping TRF and others to gouge people

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:48 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:24 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:
Joeprez wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
logan2z wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
JBZ wrote:

Here here, TZ was good back in the late 90's when Ashford owned them. That's when I joined. Probably when most modern IG highrollers were still sucking on their mommy's tittie.

Whoever is paying current Rolex prices is helping TRF and others to gouge people
I learned so much from those guys on TZ. I joined, or at least started browsing, in probably 1998 or so. Redbar Adam was a nobody with a couple IWCs and every English speaking watch guy was on there.

dinexus
Name: Zach

Post by dinexus » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:36 pm

Here's one on reddit for $3500.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Watchexchange/ ... ition_for/

lol

Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Post by Jeep99dad » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:10 pm

That’s just silly, but I’m sure there’ll be some who’ll pay extra to have the Hodinkee special Oris
Good for the sellers if they can find guys with the money to burn on overpriced watches.
I wouldn’t even pay retail personally.
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:08 am

logan2z wrote:Despite the date window (which I could live without), I honestly think the standard 65 with blue dial is the much nicer watch for a lot less $$$

I don't see the appeal of the Hodinkee LE at all.
That’s my photo.Image
In general I think the Oris 65 is an overrated watch, especially at retail prices, I wouldn’t buy one at grey prices either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

93 Turbo
Name: Jules

Post by 93 Turbo » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:22 am

Jeep99dad wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:10 pm
That’s just silly, but I’m sure there’ll be some who’ll pay extra to have the Hodinkee special Oris Image
Good for the sellers if they can find guys with the money to burn on overpriced watches.
Yep. all I saw was a life style ad. If I buy this watch I could be tooling around in my 110, hanging back on my plank in the shore break, then having a few Ernest Hemmingway reflective moments while waiting for my boy friend... The Hodinkee dream.
Strength is = 2 or > than "tipping over a so- called smart car plastered in “Coexist” bumper stickers".

Pat McNamara.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:25 am

93 Turbo wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:22 am
Jeep99dad wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:10 pm
That’s just silly, but I’m sure there’ll be some who’ll pay extra to have the Hodinkee special Oris Image
Yep. all I saw was a life style ad. If I buy this watch I could be tooling around in my 110, hanging back on my plank in the shore break, then having a few Ernest Hemmingway reflective moments while waiting for my boy friend... The Hodinkee dream.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:56 am

I just realized this is also a screwdown crown. That was the thing that kept me from buying a 6263 Daytona back in the day, believe it or not. Manual wind watch, short PR, screw down crown. Why would someone want a watch like that?
:htfu:

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:13 am

matt.wu wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:56 am
I just realized this is also a screwdown crown. That was the thing that kept me from buying a 6263 Daytona back in the day, believe it or not. Manual wind watch, short PR, screw down crown. Why would someone want a watch like that?
But if it didn't have a screw down crown, the dive watch crowd would be screaming about how it isn't a real dive watch. I get that a no auto wind/no-date gets you a thinner case, but I'd rather have something more functional. A manual wind dive watch isn't particularly appealing to me.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:24 am

If you rotate watches like most of us do, it's a nonissue. I usually wear a watch once a week so I need to hand wind them all and set the time anyways.

This watch is still lame though.

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:32 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Joeprez wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
logan2z wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
JBZ wrote:

Yeah, miss the early TZ days. A lot less BS to deal with.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

gr8sw
Name: Pedro

Post by gr8sw » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:34 pm

‘I don’t worry about a thing, 'cause I know nothing’s gonna be alright’ Mose Allison

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:56 pm

:shh:
gr8sw wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:34 pm
do I hear $4500? :nutkick:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oris-Divers-Si ... 4278322300
'Make Offer' is enabled. $1200 sound fair? ;)