Golden Tuna Shrouds :options

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
daveH
Name: dave HYDE

Post by daveH » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:04 pm

Morning Guys From Down under
I have a Seiko 7C46 7009 golden tuna circa 1990, I was a proffessional diver for 20 years so this watch, the toughest unit u could buy at the time, has done a lot of honest work. The problem, as I'm sure has been aired before, is the not so tough shrouds. I'm on my second, its got a couple of dings out of it filled with 2 pack. So what are my options here:-
a. New shroud part no 85260220 hideosly expensive and will allmost certainly get chipped again...
b. Is there any body out there that repairs these to a high standard ?
c. I c there r a number of funky new 1000m divers in red and green , their shroud is tougher ( ?? ) apparently, will that fit ?
d. what other shroud will fit, I hear the 600m will but is it also made out of porcelian ?
e. I see the aftermarket s/s versions on ebay for $99, any thoughts ?

any body whos been through this or has any ideas thanks in advance for your help.

Dave. Cairns

daveH

Re: Golden Tuna Shrouds :options

Post by daveH » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:07 pm

pix of battered Tuna
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:23 pm

I would leave it the way it is.

manitoujoe
Name: Mark

Post by manitoujoe » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:09 pm

Each scar is a story. I know I don’t have many stories about my watches. I’d leave them alone too. Cool watch!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

amckiwi
Name: Stu

Post by amckiwi » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:05 am

What they said

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:07 am

I’d leave it too.

You didn’t know it at the time you purchased but that ceramic shroud is a tough pill to swallow on replacement.

I don’t think the 600m shroud will fit? Pretty sure that one is metal but could be wrong on fitment. Im pretty sure the current darth tuna shroud will fit. If that aftermarket one fits maybe you could have the stainless steel black cerakoted? At $99 it might be worth a shot?

Might be a good idea to email or call Seiko or Otto Frei to get a real quote on the part. Sometimes those selling this shroud like to price gouge. It still won’t be cheap but IF you really want one at least you’ll have peace of mind knowing you have a spare.

It’s a great watch. The 7c46 is still the workhorse in modern tunas and will easily last another 30yrs in yours properly cared for. Thanks for sharing yours

Morethan1
Frequent bumper of posts
Name: Alex

Post by Morethan1 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:02 pm

The one you have is titanium which came with the 600m version. As you can tell they are interchangeable.

The 600m quartz tuna and the 1000m quartz use the same case. I guess seiko saw the case could take more pressure and just increased the wr.

The best thing would be just use the one you have. It is tougher that the new ceramic ones. Cheers

giorgos mg
Name: Giorgos

Post by giorgos mg » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:21 am

I have available if someone is interested.

If this is against the rules please delete

ImageImage

G

daveH

Post by daveH » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:22 pm

thats the original ceramic shroud, my one is in two bits ! they are very hard but brittle. I think morethan1 is correct. I have the 600m on now which is wearing thin. I dont suppose its possible to recoat it with ceramic so I'm thinking I might try dipping it in alkaline and taking it back to bare titanium. Thx for everyones input.

daveH

Post by daveH » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:24 pm

Imagetook the ceramic off ( major sanding with silicone carbide paper } and got it back the natural titanium, then two pac clear. Here it is with my SAR.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

watchdawg
Name: Vic

Post by watchdawg » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:47 am

You did a great job. Looks great