Bulgari Octo

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
goaliechris
Name: Chris

Re: Bulgari Octo

Post by goaliechris » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:56 am

After spending some time with it, I really like it but I agree with the comment in here - if I had FU money this would be a great watch to add to the collection. But for me it’s in a tough price bracket for someone who needs to be more choosy with his funds. I mean it’s in a similar place to the AP RO (or was until the after market went absolutely insane).

That thinness is really impressive in person though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Re: Bulgari Octo

Post by BacoNoir » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:53 pm

deepcdvr wrote:
BacoNoir wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:49 am
JBZ wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:43 am
I know Hodinkee has mixed appeal here, but I usually enjoy their "A Week on the Wrist" write-ups.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/bulga ... tic-review
While I've never really paid much attention to the brand, I've always equated them with the LV/Gucci of the watch world. Many of you know how much I like Ti watches, well add in the world's thinnest Chronograph (breaking a 32 year record) at 6.9mm thick, add in a GMT function and an auto movement and I am impressed.

With the price surges on AP RO 15400's lately, I've been thinking of flipping mine and quite a few frugals, and adding a little money to pick up a WG Sub 116619LB (Smurf). I tried one on at a GTG about 6 months ago and was smitten - still am.

With my income and lack of bonuses these days, I had just about given up on getting a PM watch, so the only way to do so was flip. I wasn't willing to do so with the AP RO or BLNR, but the prices of both have gone nuts lately. Now, a PM watch is obtainable if I do some shuffling in the collection with one of my nice pieces and a lot of my frugals. I still can't give up the BLNR, so the AP RO is the only one to consider. While I love it, selling it for nearly double what I paid for it is a rare opportunity in the watch world. Most of us are lucky to make a little and more often, take a loss when our tastes change over time.

So now, back to the point. With the Bvlgaria I still wouldn't have a PM watch, but I would keep the Genta look in my collection and have a very unique piece. Still the WG Sub is calling my name and I love the heft and shade of blue. Probably still going for the Smurf, but this gives me some pause to think, because I could swap, not have to sell anything else and still put some money back in the watch fund account.
Tough choice, but for most I assume the sub would be a no brainer - although for most of us non-ballers, a WG sub would be a grail or exit watch.. I love the look of the Bulgary and it would got a lot of wrist time, but I would only buy one (over the sub) if I was rolling in $$ and could afford to buy it just to add diversity to the collection. If the choice is Bulgary over the Roo, I think it is worth the experiment - it’s a hot watch..
Yeah, while I dig the chrono, I think the Smurf is the direction I’ll head. I have a call into my AD to see if he’ll still honor the price we discussed last year - not sure since the market’s gone nuts, but he did come through with the discounted BLNR price for me 2 years after I got on the list and the market had already gone nuts on those.