Omega Service question

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
KidKeith
Name: KidKeith

Omega Service question

Post by KidKeith » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:49 am

Hey all,

I have a question about Omega service. Just sent in my Speedy Pro purchased here.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=61738

I'm perfectly happy with the watch, it just had stopped keeping time and had a scuff on the crystal, etc. Sent it through my AD here in Louisville. Got an email back saying the US service has to send it to Switzerland for service, new crystal and new hands (??). Cost is pretty steep IMO. Damn near half what I paid for the watch itself. Just trying to get some feedback here if this seems normal in your experiences.

Thanks guys and gals,
Adam

christopherwilliam
Name: Christopher

Re: Omega Service question

Post by christopherwilliam » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:03 am

Yeah I went through the same thing with my Speedy. I had them send it back to me and then I sent off to Rik at Timecare Inc. Awesome guy and has serviced all of my watches since.
I like stuff....

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:25 am

They want nearly $2000 for a service - crystal and hands ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

KidKeith

Post by KidKeith » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:40 am

BBK357 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:25 am
They want nearly $2000 for a service - crystal and hands ??

$1495 and 10 week turnaround... I just think that is a lot. The Omega site says $750 for a service for a mechanical Chrono. That's where I was at in my mind and to get double that in response was kind of mind blowing to me. And why would they change the hands? I've never seen an issue with the hands...

Thank for the feedback. I'm just trying to get a sense of if this is "normal" or not.

KidKeith

Post by KidKeith » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:40 am

christopherwilliam wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:03 am
Yeah I went through the same thing with my Speedy. I had them send it back to me and then I sent off to Rik at Timecare Inc. Awesome guy and has serviced all of my watches since.
What was his price and turnaround time if you don't mind me asking?

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:43 am

Not normal.

I’ve had a lot of watched serviced that that price is crazy.

Rolex and omega always want to change hands- it’s not needed in most cases and you can tell them no.

For a speedy service and crystal I would think $800-900 tops from omega.

DEATH FROM ABOVE

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:18 am

Seems high and, unless I'm missing something from the pictures, there's no way the watch needs new hands. I'd ask them what the cost would be for a movement service and new crystal. I'm not even sure a new crystal is necessary based on the pictures, but it's my understanding that acrylic crystals can lose integrity over time.

Knome
Name: Ken

Post by Knome » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:18 am

From what I've heard, besides vintage repairs where tritium/radium is involved, they change the hands because it takes too much time and skill to remove the hands (especially the chrono hand) without breaking them or damaging them in a way that will make them loose/unreliable when remounted.
The chrono hand is put on especially tight since it has to withstand the "snap back" whenever the chrono is reset and still maintain its setting. The service centers just remove the hands, usually rendering them unusable in the process and just replace the hands during reassembly.

Personally I've only ever had experience with Omega service when it comes to 1950s vintage Seamasters. I know that Omega lowered their service fees across the board for "non complicated" movements, but I guess chronos and movements older than 1940 are still pricey to service. The good thing about swatch group service is that they should return all the parts they swapped out when you get your watch back, unless your AD doesn't give them back. Both vintage seamasters I've gotten serviced came back with little baggies full of my original gears, screws, crystal, crowns, etc.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:20 am

^^^The 861/1861 movement has always had the reputation of being more expensive to service, but $1,495 still sounds high. Interesting info on hand replacement.
Last edited by JBZ on Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

KidKeith

Post by KidKeith » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:22 am

JBZ wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:18 am
Seems high and, unless I'm missing something from the pictures, there's no way the watch needs new hands. I'd ask them what the cost would be for a movement service and new crystal. I'm not even sure a new crystal is necessary based on the pictures, but it's my understanding that acrylic crystals can lose integrity over time.
Thanks. Yes I just emailed them exactly that, based on the feedback I've read here. Requested individual cost of 1)service, 2) crystal replacement and 3)hands replacement.

Crystal has a scuff at the 12 that I put on myself after purchase. Hit it against my truck while getting out D'oh! It doesn't NEED replacement but it would look better with a new crystal for sure.

Thanks for the feedback all. Very much appreciated.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:54 pm

From what I understand, Omega will do a full service if they replace the crystal. I'm in same boat right now as I scuffed my crystal. I am waiting for the estimated cost.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:15 pm

Since when do you need to send a Speedy Pro to Switzerland to get it serviced? The whole thing, price and shipping, seems like total BS.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:24 pm

What Ken said. Sometimes these guys have an issue removing hands and reusing them. So to be safe they change them out. When the hands are installed the base of them does stretch out a little bit. If you have a good indy watchmaker they can close up the staff on the hands and reuse them.

R@cerx
Name: David

Post by R@cerx » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:30 pm

KidKeith wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:40 am
christopherwilliam wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:03 am
What was his price and turnaround time if you don't mind me asking?
Rik is usually 4 weeks on a Rolex service, a chrono might be a little longer though. You might also check Nesbit’s Watch Service. They are known to be Speedmaster experts. They serviced 3570.50 for me and I was very pleased.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:52 pm

Another vote for Nesbit. They are easy to communicate with. Follow Omega pricing structure, as is required for a parts account, but might not nickel and dime you for the extras.

The crystal is Acrylic right? Too deep to buff out scuffs? Astonishing that they would charge double the listed rate for just hands/plastic crystal. Sounds like the smart play is to sell mine at service time and just buy another since service history doesn’t seem to impact the price of used non vintage Speedy’s much.

shaneotool
Name: Paul

Post by shaneotool » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:12 pm

I’d tell them to send it back to you and then find someone else.

my 3570 is running about 10 or 15 seconds slow per day - stories like this is keeping me from sending it in for any service until absolutely necessary.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:44 pm

Does anyone know if omega or Nesbit can source a new bracelet for my 2254 if I get it serviced through them? The speedy style?

DEATH FROM ABOVE

ChuckW
Name: Chuck

Post by ChuckW » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:03 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:44 pm
Does anyone know if omega or Nesbit can source a new bracelet for my 2254 if I get it serviced through them? The speedy style?

Omega still sells the clasps and links, so I'd think full bracelets are still sold by them. I don't think they'd require service to order one for you. Just give them the reference number.
No, it's not Tourettes.

KidKeith

Post by KidKeith » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:48 am

Thanks for the great info all. I received an email from the AD saying "unfortunately it's all or nothing" when I asked for a pricing breakdown. Lol.

I emailed nesbit this am and we will see what they say.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:32 am

I've used both Nesbit and Sarraff, can't go wrong with either of them.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

KidKeith

Post by KidKeith » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:34 am

Jan at Nesbit just emailed me. They can do everything including crystal replacement for less than 1K USD and half the turnaround time. Omega doesn't service the 861 in the states any longer hence the higher cost (but $500?!). So clearly I am sending her to Nesbit. I feel like I owe you guys a beer!

Thanks all!

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:44 am

KidKeith wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:34 am
Jan at Nesbit just emailed me. They can do everything including crystal replacement for less than 1K USD and half the turnaround time. Omega doesn't service the 861 in the states any longer hence the higher cost (but $500?!). So clearly I am sending her to Nesbit. I feel like I owe you guys a beer!

Thanks all!
That's awesome!

FWIW, if anyone is looking for Rolex service, Mark Siriani (watchdoctorpa) is awesome. He's been servicing watches for decades, does fantastic work, has great communication - with pictures during the process - and is very, very reasonable. A full service for my sub cost $225 including shipping, took two weeks total and the watch was perfect upon receipt :thumbsup:
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:27 am

BBK357 wrote:

My watchmaker that works for me has a Omega parts account. I just stopped by his shop and we checked just on Omega's intranet today for a 2254 bracelet. They list It for $680.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:29 am

KidKeith wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:48 am
Thanks for the great info all. I received an email from the AD saying "unfortunately it's all or nothing" when I asked for a pricing breakdown. Lol.

I emailed nesbit this am and we will see what they say.
Nesbits do great work and are good people to deal with. But there are also other Omega certified Independents out there.

Good luck

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:37 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:27 am
BBK357 wrote:

My watchmaker that works for me has a Omega parts account. I just stopped by his shop and we checked just on Omega's intranet today for a 2254 bracelet. They list It for $680.
Very reasonable.