Suggestions for online Rolex sport watch dealers (gray)

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
mbakes
Name: Mike

Post by mbakes » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:10 am

Did a search but not find too much other than don't go with DavidSW. A friend in Manhattan wants to pick up a Sub, preferably new or close. He asked if I could give some names of reputable gray market dealers. NYC would be perfect but would consider others. Thanks and sorry if repetitive. I tried.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Re: Suggestions for online Rolex sport watch dealers (gray)

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:20 am

For brand new, they're all pretty much the same. I like this guy though:
http://www.takuyawatches.com/

He's friendly and actually answers your questions when you email. I'm sure there are a million sellers in NYC, but none that I know who are active on the internet - NYC is a pretty expensive place to run an internet business.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:10 am

Takuya (Thanh Do) is good. I've also had good luck with OCRolexguy (Patrick Aziz). And I think you'd be fine with DavidSW for a new watch (or even a gently used one). The issue right now is that all the greys are charging higher prices on Rolex due to the AD shortage. As long as you're willing to pay the extra, you should do fine with any of the "trusted sellers."

PGERRITY
Name: Pat

Post by PGERRITY » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:12 am

I’ve used DavidSW a dozen times for Rolex/AP/Omega. I’ve never had any issues with him at all. I bought my current sub from him BNIB. Got my 682 from him as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:22 am

JBZ wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:10 am
Takuya (Thanh Do) is good. I've also had good luck with OCRolexguy (Patrick Aziz). And I think you'd be fine with DavidSW for a new watch (or even a gently used one). The issue right now is that all the greys are charging higher prices on Rolex due to the AD shortage. As long as you're willing to pay the extra, you should do fine with any of the "trusted sellers."
Patrick and Tony G (SD Watches) are both good.

christopherwilliam
Name: Christopher

Post by christopherwilliam » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:06 am

Another vote for Patrick; good dude. If he doesn't have it, he can get it, also.
I like stuff....

MDF
Name: Mark

Post by MDF » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:08 am

I have used both Takuya and DavidSW no problems with either one.
Regards,

Mark

Knome
Name: Ken

Post by Knome » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:24 am

I've purchased two watches from Patrick (OCWatchGuy) and both experiences have been excellent.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:41 pm

MDF wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:08 am
I have used both Takuya and DavidSW no problems with either one.
Same here. Good experiences with both, BUT better pricing with Thanh.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

jimyritz
Masshole

Post by jimyritz » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:00 pm

I have purchased from David (DSW) before but his pricing is sky high. I had a good experience with OCrolexguy, too... Maybe check out Bernard Watch...

jimyritz
Masshole

Post by jimyritz » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:03 pm

mbakes wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:10 am
Did a search but not find too much other than don't go with DavidSW. A friend in Manhattan wants to pick up a Sub, preferably new or close. He asked if I could give some names of reputable gray market dealers. NYC would be perfect but would consider others. Thanks and sorry if repetitive. I tried.
===============
He'd be better off walking into an AD-- the msrp on a new one is less than the sky high pricing of the grey markets. Now, there is much less of a chance of getting the Subs, GMT's, Daytonas, but he could get lucky. :shrug:

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:12 pm

jimyritz wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:00 pm
I have purchased from David (DSW) before but his pricing is sky high. I had a good experience with OCrolexguy, too... Maybe check out Bernard Watch...
I got semi-burned by Bernard watch. Unless they mis-price something (which happens sometimes), I'd never buy from them again.

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:38 pm

you should check with Tom (TSD) and see if his guy can source something for you. He seems to find some good deals.

TSD
Name: Tom

Post by TSD » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:46 pm

gwells wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:38 pm
you should check with Tom (TSD) and see if his guy can source something for you. He seems to find some good deals.
^^^ This. :grin:

We actually did discuss on the DL. Ramsy has some good connections.

ncstate1201
Name: Geoff B

Post by ncstate1201 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:04 am

I have bought from OCRolexGuy also and had good results

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club

Post by jswing » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:56 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:20 am
For brand new, they're all pretty much the same. I like this guy though:
http://www.takuyawatches.com/

He's friendly and actually answers your questions when you email. I'm sure there are a million sellers in NYC, but none that I know who are active on the internet - NYC is a pretty expensive place to run an internet business.
Second this, Takuya is the guy I've bought several from.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:55 am

I've bought from DavidSW several times - actually met him in Orlando at a Cracker Barrel with his family in tow :) ... Really nice guy. This was before he went 'big time' and I've seen his prices increase considerably since the old days.

Also, Master Wu has been able to find me incredible deals over the years - I don't buy new, though.

Good luck!
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

mbakes

Post by mbakes » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:47 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. I sent him a link to this thread so he can decide where to buy. Might end up with a new forum member. I tried to post this a couple of times from Tapatalk without luck. First time I've had an issue. Anyway, thanks all1

dinnyf
Name: Dinny FitzPatrick

Post by dinnyf » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:46 pm

Hi all. I'm the guy that mbakes started this thread for and I'd like to thank him and all of you for taking the time to respond. The situation here in NYC is bizarre as many of you know. ADs don't have them, can't get them, and don't even know when they'll be getting them. And then there are the wait lists, although something in the way back of my mind says there may be some kind of legal issue with that, but I could be making it up from the days I was trying to find a bottle of Pappy! So the grey market is trading way over retail and even pre-owned are trading at or near retail for brand new.

Anyway, these posts are tremendously helpful. Because this is my first foray into the higher end watch world, I am a bit hesitant to go outside the AD system, especially since their pricing now is so much more attractive. (Am I really gaining that much of an advantage at an AD other than price right now?) But with the AD supply so constrained, I may have to bite the bullet if I don't want to wait. And who the hell wants to wait?!

Also need to decide date or no-date...but that likely will just be based on what I can get for a "decent" price.

TL;DR -- Thank you all for helping out a newbie, it's much appreciated.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:05 pm

Just be aware - the grey market prices on new or gently used subs are ridiculous right now. HQ Milton, which generally deals more in vintage pieces, has a 2015 no date Sub listed for $9,150. DavidSW has a BNIB Sub date listed at $11,275. You might be able to get a slightly better deal elsewhere, but the prices are obscene.

I'm a Rolex fan, but what's going on with shortages and prices right now has really soured me on the brand.

And welcome!

mbakes

Post by mbakes » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:21 pm

Welcome dinny! knew it was just a matter of time before you signed up. This is the Head-Case of watch forums. Buying a Rolex Sub now is crazy, imo. Get a Tudor Black Bay, Pelago or both and hope the prices come down at some point. I was lucky to get my sub before prices went nuts. If I was looking now, I would pass.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:54 pm

^^^I'd give Omega a look, too. They make some great dive watches.

Cabaiguan
Name: Raf

Post by Cabaiguan » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:22 pm

mbakes wrote:Did a search but not find too much other than don't go with DavidSW. A friend in Manhattan wants to pick up a Sub, preferably new or close. He asked if I could give some names of reputable gray market dealers. NYC would be perfect but would consider others. Thanks and sorry if repetitive. I tried.
David is excellent. Not sure where you got your info.

Rolex is on my sh!t list as of late. It’s pure lunacy and a disregard for their customers. Go with Omega...arguably better movements and you can walk out the door with a fantastic watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A ship of war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

mbakes

Post by mbakes » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:38 pm

Cabaiguan wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:22 pm
mbakes wrote:Did a search but not find too much other than don't go with DavidSW. A friend in Manhattan wants to pick up a Sub, preferably new or close. He asked if I could give some names of reputable gray market dealers. NYC would be perfect but would consider others. Thanks and sorry if repetitive. I tried.

Rolex is on my sh!t list as of late. It’s pure lunacy and a disregard for their customers. Go with Omega...arguably better movements and you can walk out the door with a fantastic watch.

I read it on a thread on DWC. Omega is a good choice.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:55 pm

Cabaiguan wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:22 pm

David has had more than a few fishy deals. TRF mods cover for his ass and delete legit complaint threads which is why he has such a great rep.