Longines HydroConquest Ceramic

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:53 am

I'm not a huge fan of the dial design and the lugs look super long but, at about $3500, this has to be the least expensive diver on the market with an all-ceramic case and bezel.

https://monochrome-watches.com/longines ... -on-price/

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Re: Longines HydroConquest Ceramic

Post by aikiman44 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:37 am

Kind of generic but cool looking.
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:50 am

The look of these without the finish, and ceramic has always been so nice,
and aggressive Andrew, and now with this stealthy personality, and addition
of ceramic it's that much more sporty, and cool. 8-) :) Nice Andrew, very
nice actually !

Thank you sir !!!

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:55 pm

Maybe it is the strap fitment, but the lugs seem to flair out in the middle creating a gap near the ends.

I want to like this, but the rational part of me just thinks what's the point? If I was going to snag a HydroConquest, I'd prefer to just get a steel one for $800 and call it a day. They would've been better off investing R&D costs for this into a new diver instead of an old design with a fancy case.

james80
Name: James

Post by james80 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:09 pm

To me the numbers, hour markers and hands are way out of proportion to each other and the lugs look weird. I agree with the comment above, I to want to love it but it’s not quite right.

Having handled a SS hydroconquest and hated the bezel I’d never buy one so I hope this is better.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:35 am

Longines and their lugs, always too something

gonzomantis
Name: Mike

Post by gonzomantis » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:23 am

james80 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:09 pm
To me the numbers, hour markers and hands are way out of proportion to each other and the lugs look weird. I agree with the comment above, I to want to love it but it’s not quite right.

Having handled a SS hydroconquest and hated the bezel I’d never buy one so I hope this is better.
I wonder if it is a tapered strap, and they just got the taper started too soon.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:26 am

streetracer101 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:55 pm
I want to like this, but the rational part of me just thinks what's the point? If I was going to snag a HydroConquest, I'd prefer to just get a steel one for $800 and call it a day. They would've been better off investing R&D costs for this into a new diver instead of an old design with a fancy case.
Have to agree with this. The only thing I found somewhat interesting was the price of the watch, which seemed to prove that one could produce an all-ceramic watch for mid-3K.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:10 am

Agree with Andrew, if someone really wants a ceramic watch, this is a great alternative.

And yes, the lugs issue is super apparent in that photo.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

BramleyGreg

Post by BramleyGreg » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:38 pm

That is a nice piece for sure.

A large part of me is thinking:
"Oh... I think that is over priced for a Longines piece."

But in reality, they are quite an underpriced brand considering their longevity and good reputation over the years, so I guess looking at this piece without previous aforethought, it's a great piece at a fair price.

:thumbsup:

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:06 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:55 pm
This.

Hydroconquest has always been a great entry level diver but one you overlook once you really get exposed to what else is out there for a little more, unless you find a deal you cannot refuse or a beater.

Maybe they sell well at jewelry stores when piggybacked onto something for the mrs?

Longines, like many other brands, has been sucked into the heritage designs and they do them well imho, but I wonder if a lot of companies are suffering from "design block" so to speak? It has to be hard to re-invent yourself with a modern design that 1) most everyone will love, 2) hasn't been done before, and 3) isn't a sub.

TRUE LIBERTY

Post by TRUE LIBERTY » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:03 am

No problem with the lugs, actually like the overall case design. I am not usually a big fan of numbers on my dial but this one looks kinda nice and for a ceramic case design I really like, I think I can grow to really like the dial. And with something besides another 2824 movement but instead a modified 2892 with 60 plus hour power reserve is kind of unusual it's something my local AD shop will probably have and I gotta handle. Been looking for that one watch with a tough scratch resistant case. It might be this or the Bremont S500.