Which watch do you feel will appreciate most in 10 years?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Re: Which watch do you feel will appreciate most in 10 years?

Post by blkgsl » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:44 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:42 pm
blkgsl wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
blkgsl wrote:Hublots. Specifically, the early models with carbon fiber dials and ceramic bezels, not the multiple iterations they spawned like ice bang, matte bang, finger bang, etc. Those are the ones to watch out for, imo.
I believe it’s Matt bang, without the “e” on the end. Don’t forget that non-limited model; gang bang.
Lmao

You laugh, but I’m still not sure if a Matt bang is (a) Matt banging (b) someone banging Matt or (c) several Matt’s banging each other.
First is a limited edition of 300 pieces; second is re-issue of 500 pieces; third is a non-numbered "limited production" run.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:49 pm

blkgsl wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:42 pm
blkgsl wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
blkgsl wrote:Hublots. Specifically, the early models with carbon fiber dials and ceramic bezels, not the multiple iterations they spawned like ice bang, matte bang, finger bang, etc. Those are the ones to watch out for, imo.
I believe it’s Matt bang, without the “e” on the end. Don’t forget that non-limited model; gang bang.
Lmao

You laugh, but I’m still not sure if a Matt bang is (a) Matt banging (b) someone banging Matt or (c) several Matt’s banging each other.
First is a limited edition of 300 pieces; second is re-issue of 500 pieces; third is a non-numbered "limited production" run.
Well, that clears it right up.

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:51 pm

by the time all of that is done, you'll probably have more things that "need clearing up."

1954Selmer
Name: RC

Post by 1954Selmer » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:25 pm

In 2019, I buried another loved one..
Damn. I just want to live another 10 years, because my "life list" is not complete..

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:26 pm

1954Selmer wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:25 pm
In 2019, I buried another loved one..
Damn. I just want to live another 10 years, because my "life list" is not complete..
Good perspective.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:41 pm

Any many mighty mo........WAG..... or any other method you choose....

substitute

Post by substitute » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:55 pm

Step1. Buy every Mkii
Step 2. ???
Step 3. Profit

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:29 pm

substitute wrote:Step1. Buy every Mkii
Step 2. ???
Step 3. Profit
The best part of that plan is the watch will be unworn since you still might not have it yet.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:26 pm

gr8sw wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:08 am
I'm praying Grandpa's gold pocket watch comes back in fashion :pray: :lol:
I can get behind this ;)

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

watchingyou

Post by watchingyou » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:55 am

Whichever one my wife lets me keep.
Ed -

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:14 am

I would never invest in a watch. Just now how I think about watches, regardless of what it is. If I am going to invest money, it will be for something where I know I can make a profit.
If I have money for X watch, it will be because I want it and will wear it. If In 10 years I see that this watch is worth way more than I paid and I see fit to sell it, well cool. But buying a watch as an investment is something I would never do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:35 am

substitute wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:55 pm
Step1. Buy every Mkii
Step 2. ???
Step 3. Profit
most I ever made on a watch sale was on a MKII.......I actually think I made a few $$ on all 5 I had.... but nothing touches the Kingston Plank
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:55 am

I don't think that even Rolex sports models have outperformed Index funds the past 10 years...........

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:12 am

tattoo chef wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:14 am
I would never invest in a watch. Just now how I think about watches, regardless of what it is. If I am going to invest money, it will be for something where I know I can make a profit.
If I have money for X watch, it will be because I want it and will wear it. If In 10 years I see that this watch is worth way more than I paid and I see fit to sell it, well cool. But buying a watch as an investment is something I would never do.

Now if you bought when I did and kept them instead of flipping you could of did great as a investment. I bought at reasonable prices and just bought vintage watches I thought were cool with no thought as a investment at the time a lot of our forum members bought a vintage Tudor snowflake like I did some kept them some did not we bought them because we liked them and never realized that some of the vintage we collected would go up so drastically were if we let them go we would never be able to replace them. Vintage Rolex subs and those GMT could be had for 3500-4500 and Tudor subs for 75% less than today. You might be right the vintage watch market might be at the top price they can be sold for were there might be no more profit but I thought 2000 for a vintage Tudor snowflake was crazy at the time I bought mine so there might be profit because it just might get crazier than it is now. Vintage military watches might of topped off so vintage Rolex or Tudor subs might be the way to go quantity price and demand.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:13 am

dnslater wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:55 am
I don't think that even Rolex sports models have outperformed Index funds the past 10 years...........
This is shitty to say, but all this investment talk smacks of people who can't afford a watch trying to justify financial lunacy. Rolex has always held value well which made them good for flippers. However, the idea that you can park 40% of your retirement into a watch collection and watch it shoot to the stratosphere is so stupid.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:21 am

Seppia wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:19 am
Agree
“I’m buying this as an investment” said about stuff in general (including homes) usually means
“I can’t afford this but want to buy it anyway, so I’ll just come up with this bullshit excuse”
Don't get me wrong. Buying shit you can't afford is usually OK. I've definitely stretched myself thin to buy shit I didn't really need. However, I did it because I wanted to - not because I lied to myself.

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:22 am

If the past ten years are any indication, then of course vintage Rolex, Seiko, and Heuer. Seems that the vintage market in general is riding this wave.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:24 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
dnslater wrote:
This is shitty to say, but all this investment talk smacks of people who can't afford a watch trying to justify financial lunacy. Rolex has always held value well which made them good for flippers. However, the idea that you can park 40% of your retirement into a watch collection and watch it shoot to the stratosphere is so stupid.
I completely agree. We all buy lots of things we don’t need and sometimes can’t afford, but honestly unless you are someone buying and selling as a business for profit, the thought of buying watches because of possible investment is just silly.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:27 am

tattoo chef wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:24 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
dnslater wrote:
I completely agree. We all buy lots of things we don’t need and sometimes can’t afford, but honestly unless you are someone buying and selling as a business for profit, the thought of buying watches because of possible investment is just silly.

I agree, that is unless I had more money. Spencer Klein buys watches as investments. He just pick up a nipple dial Rootbeer Rolex. He has a few 6159's and 6105's also.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:29 am

I was at a antique show once was talking to a seller who sold vintage watches and other stuff. He said he sold his vintage watch collection he had at the time and used it to buy a house did not ask what type of watches he let go but he sold them way more than he bought them for. Went with my brother to the VA hospital the other day and I see a VFW magazine so I am in the waiting room so start reading it see a ad with you have any vintage Rolex subs or GMT's or US issued dive watches we buy them hoping a sucker will come along and sell a Tornek-Rayville or a Blancpain or Rolex or Tudor sub diver for cheap ripping off veterans very shameful all most wrote the phone number so I could jerk the ass-hole chain I bet the buyer hopping the vet has alzheimer's .

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:48 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:13 am
dnslater wrote:
The folks who really made money on "vintage" Rolexes, etc. were the folks who bought them brand new in the 1960s and 1970s (and maybe 1980s) and never had them serviced , so they kept the original dials and hands intact basically out of sheer laziness or because they just didn't care. In other words, they were people who were just buying a watch to buy a watch - not as an investment. They hit the lottery entirely by accident.

Same thing happened with comic books and baseball cards. By the time people realize they can buy stuff like that as an investment, it's usually too late to see a huge rate of return.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:51 am

JBZ wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:48 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:13 am
dnslater wrote:
The folks who really made money on "vintage" Rolexes, etc. were the folks who bought them brand new in the 1960s and 1970s (and maybe 1980s) and never had them serviced , so they kept the original dials and hands intact basically out of sheer laziness or because they just didn't care. In other words, they were people who were just buying a watch to buy a watch - not as an investment. They hit the lottery entirely by accident.

Same thing happened with comic books and baseball cards. By the time people realize they can buy stuff like that as an investment, it's usually too late to see a huge rate of return.
Yep. The "smart money" (like River Rat) already got into the watch game years ago. Stupidly, it seems to be the newer guys who know the least that are obsessed with watches as investments.

Here's a good rule of thumb for "watches as investments": If you need to ask someone's advice on what to get you're not the smart money.

Bradystraps
Name: Todd

Post by Bradystraps » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:56 am

For the record, I'm not looking to buy watches as investments. I'm looking to buy a somewhat vintage piece I can enjoy for a while and make a profit on down the road should I decide to sell it and not give it to my son. I think a 16800 fits the bill as a 1680 is more bills than I can afford!

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:58 am

16800 is a great watch. I highly doubt you'll lose money on it.

Bradystraps
Name: Todd

Post by Bradystraps » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:01 pm

JBZ wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:58 am
16800 is a great watch. I highly doubt you'll lose money on it.
I'm holding out for a matte dial in great shape.