Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Re: Christopher Ward C65 GMT Pepsi

Post by BacoNoir » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:37 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:58 am
Swiss-made Sellita SW330 - a GMT movement only 4.1mm high - the C65 Trident GMT measures in at a sleek 12.05mm

I like everything about it except for the labeling. In person the labeling might not be a as noticeable. I really like the swoop down case design on it also. I hope they are not using some big ass adjustable bracelet clasp that is 6 inches long.
So the that means the 24 hour hands moves rather than a jump hour hand, right? :think:
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:24 pm

BacoNoir wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:37 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
Swiss-made Sellita SW330 - a GMT movement only 4.1mm high - the C65 Trident GMT measures in at a sleek 12.05mm

I like everything about it except for the labeling. In person the labeling might not be a as noticeable. I really like the swoop down case design on it also. I hope they are not using some big ass adjustable bracelet clasp that is 6 inches long.
So the that means the 24 hour hands moves rather than a jump hour hand, right? :think:
Correct. The 24 hour hand is normally slaved to the hour hand, but when you set the crown to the second position, rotating the crown one way drives the date wheel and rotating it the other way makes the 24 hour hand advance in 1 hour "jumps".

So to operate when traveling, you would first set the hour hand to the local time (which would also advance the 24 hour hand), and then you would reset the GMT hand back to your "home" time.

IMO the "jump hour" hand method is more convenient because you do not need to "hack" the watch in order to reset the watch to local time. You simply pull the crown to the second position and when you rotate it the hour hand jumps. The 24 hour hand stays constant.

It really doesn't matter too much if you aren't jumping time zones that often, but if you do fly around a lot (i.e. a night in the west coast, a night in central, and a night east coast, all in one week) the "jump hour" is more convenient.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:15 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:24 pm
BacoNoir wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:37 pm
toxicavenger wrote:

Correct. The 24 hour hand is normally slaved to the hour hand, but when you set the crown to the second position, rotating the crown one way drives the date wheel and rotating it the other way makes the 24 hour hand advance in 1 hour "jumps".

So to operate when traveling, you would first set the hour hand to the local time (which would also advance the 24 hour hand), and then you would reset the GMT hand back to your "home" time.

IMO the "jump hour" hand method is more convenient because you do not need to "hack" the watch in order to reset the watch to local time. You simply pull the crown to the second position and when you rotate it the hour hand jumps. The 24 hour hand stays constant.

It really doesn't matter too much if you aren't jumping time zones that often, but if you do fly around a lot (i.e. a night in the west coast, a night in central, and a night east coast, all in one week) the "jump hour" is more convenient.
Yeah, I've gotten use to the quick jump hour hands I've had on the Omegas, PAMs and Rolexes that I've had and those movements have it right IMHO. Granted the SW330 and ETA equivalents are MUCH cheaper, but since I still have a few in my collection, no need to go with another GMT with the more time consuming time setting process.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006