General watch talk.
matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Re: Ahhhhh, screw it

Post by matt.wu » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:14 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:36 am
I’ll admit I’ve been eyeballing a new Garmin watch. The Alpina smart watch is kind of cool too. It uses a battery (2 year life span) instead of rechargeable, but the idea is a typical “smart watch” needs to be recharged every few days which is not not acceptable on a week long camping trip.

I’m off to kayak to a downed WW II P-47 and do a little diving to check out the wreckage. I have the coordinates to the location of the plane wreckage, and with a Garmin I could find it no problem. I’ll be using my iPhone sealed in a zip lock duct taped to the kayak.
I just bought a Fenix 5X :doh:
:htfu:

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:24 pm

i'm one of those weirdos who wears a watch to sleep, so i never worry about "grab and go" so much. i make the switch the night before when i'm getting ready for bed. set/wind a little before crashing and all good to go in the morning.

nweash
Name: Nick

Post by nweash » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:37 pm

gwells wrote:i'm one of those weirdos who wears a watch to sleep, so i never worry about "grab and go" so much. i make the switch the night before when i'm getting ready for bed. set/wind a little before crashing and all good to go in the morning.

Samsies

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:03 pm

BacoNoir wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:01 am
tattoo chef wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:46 am
Are we that busy that if you don’t have a winder for your autos or it’s a mechanical, that taking 30 seconds or so to set it is an issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not me. I don't mind the winding and time setting. It's kind of medatative - slow and purposeful.
Feel the same.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:21 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:14 pm
Ryeguy wrote:
I’ll admit I’ve been eyeballing a new Garmin watch. The Alpina smart watch is kind of cool too. It uses a battery (2 year life span) instead of rechargeable, but the idea is a typical “smart watch” needs to be recharged every few days which is not not acceptable on a week long camping trip.

I’m off to kayak to a downed WW II P-47 and do a little diving to check out the wreckage. I have the coordinates to the location of the plane wreckage, and with a Garmin I could find it no problem. I’ll be using my iPhone sealed in a zip lock duct taped to the kayak.
I’ve been eyeing that one too. We’re heading to the Navy Exchange here at Pearl Harbor and I could see me impulse buying one if the prices are decent.

With all the running, biking, and surfing I do, I think I’d actually use it quite a bit.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Ahhhhh, screw it

Post by Joeprez » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:03 pm

unixshrk wrote:Love the DLC aerospace. Great travel watch.

Do this or the GS gmt or a seamaster bond quartz.

Then add seiko solar tuna and an apple watch.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:16 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
I’ll be using my iPhone sealed in a zip lock duct taped to the kayak.
My brother-in-law bought this for me several years ago after he witnessed me stuffing my phone into a Ziploc. :thumbsup:

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:22 pm

i got to see the GS GMT 9f's om NYC last year and they are a great watch. the only one I like better it the under the radar SBGV245
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:36 pm

I have only two automatics now and I keep them wound well enough swapping that it’s rare I have to set them, but I wouldn’t mind getting another quartz again. I’d like to get a Tuna. Quartz would be a much better choice for my job.

I recently switched jobs which within a month I’ll have doubled my income but I don’t have any grand plans for something higher end.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:51 pm

What about a Sinn UX?

Selym

Post by Selym » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:08 pm

Torrid wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:36 pm
I recently switched jobs which within a month I’ll have doubled my income
Congratulations! :cheers:

Same industry?

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:46 pm

Selym wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:08 pm
Torrid wrote:
I recently switched jobs which within a month I’ll have doubled my income
Congratulations! :cheers:

Same industry?
Thanks! Yep, much larger railroad doing the same thing. There’s some big money out there in this industry.

hidden by leaves
Name: Anthony

Post by hidden by leaves » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:35 pm

Torrid wrote:I have only two automatics now and I keep them wound well enough swapping that it’s rare I have to set them, but I wouldn’t mind getting another quartz again. I’d like to get a Tuna. Quartz would be a much better choice for my job.

I recently switched jobs which within a month I’ll have doubled my income but I don’t have any grand plans for something higher end.
Congrats Heath great to hear! Glad it's happening to a good guy if it's not happening to me Image

Send lawyers, guns and money...

Selym

Post by Selym » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:05 pm

Torrid wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:46 pm
Thanks! Yep, much larger railroad doing the same thing. There’s some big money out there in this industry.
Yeah, it's a decent living. My father worked for railroads his entire career. Started out as a tower operator for the Boston & Maine, then moved on to train dispatcher for the Delaware & Hudson, locomotive engineer for Conrail, road foreman for Conrail, and back to engineer with CSX. He worked lots of nights, weekends, and holidays, though.

He even got a Seiko watch out of the deal, albeit a cheesy one. :grin:

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:42 pm

Selym wrote:
Torrid wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:46 pm
Yeah, it's a decent living. My father worked for railroads his entire career. Started out as a tower operator for the Boston & Maine, then moved on to train dispatcher for the Delaware & Hudson, locomotive engineer for Conrail, road foreman for Conrail, and back to engineer with CSX. He worked lots of nights, weekends, and holidays, though.

He even got a Seiko watch out of the deal, albeit a cheesy one. :grin:

Based on the bracelet I would have guessed Citizen
The Hapa

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:30 am

Sounds like a great decision for you Henry, and no matter which way you
go you'll be ending up with a terrific watch really. :thumbsup: ..The solar theme
always seems like the coolest route too because of the no changing the
batteries thing too ! :salute:

In a way, it's like a new, or futuristic kind of 'automatic' ! :grin:

dinexus
Name: Zach

Post by dinexus » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:43 am

+1 to an Aerospace. Love mine. Don't leave out the Sinn UX either, another kickass HAQ.

poppydog
aka Nelldog
Name: Steve

Post by poppydog » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:16 pm

Ryeguy wrote:

That sounds an awesome adventure; can you post some updates / pics on your return, please?

And on the quartz issue, I only have one, the CWC SBS diver, and I totally get the grab-and-go convenience of such a piece,
Regards

Steve

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:28 pm

Ryeguy wrote:

I like the thought of one of these watches but charging a watch every week doesnt' make sense to me.

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:50 am

Well, I think I’m getting there. Digi-tuna, Apple, and Aerospace. An analog diver (probably a Seiko solar like a 437), and I’m done, ha ha ha. I have 3 SKX007s, and a 777 NAFT that’ll be up for sale as soon as I get around to pictures and gathering up boxes and spare links and such.
61100A08-845C-4B6B-8E79-A7F1A711C392.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:15 pm

Cool. The new Seiko Arnie looks nice if you can deal with the size (and odd crowns). And Hamilton makes a lot of quartz versions of their field and other watches.

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:34 pm

Torrid wrote:
I have only two automatics now and I keep them wound well enough swapping that it’s rare I have to set them, but I wouldn’t mind getting another quartz again. I’d like to get a Tuna. Quartz would be a much better choice for my job.

Funny this thread popped up with this comment. Yeah that panned out. :lol: Finally getting back to work next week.

toxicavenger wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:28 pm
Ryeguy wrote:

I like the thought of one of these watches but charging a watch every week doesnt' make sense to me.

Yeah I haven’t come around to charging yet, but I’ve lost interest in mechanicals. SARB’s my only one left. I do wear it pretty regularly though and timekeeping is ok after some fiddling. My wife has the Samsung Gear watch, 40mm. I honestly wear my gold G-Shock most of the time. Not sure what’s next. If analog likely a Tuna again eventually. Still hate how easy that domed hardlex scratches. I’ve never not scratched one within the first week of wearing one.

MDF
Name: Mark

Post by MDF » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:11 pm

Also get a couple Scurfa's I think they are great!
Regards,

Mark

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Ahhhhh, screw it

Post by BBK357 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:24 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:

Wtf?!

You made fun of my tactix bravo I wore for 6 months.

I loved My garmin- but it was too big. I’d go Fenix next time for sure.

DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:47 pm

BBK357 wrote:
matt.wu wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:

Wtf?!

You made fun of my tactix bravo I wore for 6 months.

I loved My garmin- but it was too big. I’d go Fenix next time for sure.

Sold it already also. I have an Apple Watch for the “smart watch” now.
:htfu: