Name: HeadDIK

Re: No date watches

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:08 pm

JBZ wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:11 pm
jeckyll wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:06 pm
JBZ wrote: snip

As I’ve gotten older, it’s gotten harder for me to read the date. Makes me appreciate the dreaded Rolex cyclops even more.

Say it ain't so!
I like the cyclops. It’s part of what makes Rolex Rolex. And I can’t see shit in low light anymore.
Me either, and I have 20-15 vision they say.

Honestly I use to only like watches with a date window. Because i used it all the time. Since I lost my job at Lockheed Martin i quit looking at the date as much. Now I noticed I have 3 watches without a date window. So I guess it isn't a hang up for me anymore. :scratch:

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:20 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
JBZ wrote:
jeckyll wrote:

As I’ve gotten older, it’s gotten harder for me to read the date. Makes me appreciate the dreaded Rolex cyclops even more.

Say it ain't so!
I like the cyclops. It’s part of what makes Rolex Rolex. And I can’t see shit in low light anymore.

Honestly I use to only like watches with a date window. Because i used it all the time. Since I lost my job at Lockheed Martin i quit looking at the date as much. Now I noticed I have 3 watches without a date window. So I guess it isn't a hang up for me anymore. :scratch:
I liked you better before...

We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:04 pm

jeckyll wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:20 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
JBZ wrote:
jeckyll wrote:

Say it ain't so!

I liked you better before...

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:45 am

On a day to day basis date versus no date is not a big deal to me. If the date works with the overall design, then great.

As Chris alluded to above, I'd much rather have no date than force a date window in where it becomes a distraction.

That said, when I travel on vacation, I do prefer watches with a date function. My favorite holidays are when I can leave the PC and mobile phones at home and just use the watch to let me remember what day it is.

unsub073
Name: chris

Post by unsub073 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:51 am

I tend to wear my no date's on weekends and vacation when I don't really care what day it is.

rain_maker
Name: Fred

Post by rain_maker » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:57 am

I used to think date was a must but have gradually moved to almost exclusively ND watches. Was a pain for the first couple of weeks when I switched over but that's mostly muscle memory of looking at your watch for the date.

I realized that half the time I looked at the date I didn't really "see" it, meaning I didn't remember the date even 5 min later. Now I've gotten used to checking the date once in the am and remembering it for the day. So it their own way, ND watches are better for your mental acuity!

gr8sw
Name: Pedro

Post by gr8sw » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:08 pm

usually prefer watches with date or day/date for the complication and usefulness, but do keep a couple no-dates to appease the symmetry gods :cheers:
‘I don’t worry about a thing, 'cause I know nothing’s gonna be alright’ Mose Allison

mfxr
Name: MattF

Post by mfxr » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:14 am

I have both in my collection, but I do like the simplicity of just setting the time when rotating through my watches.

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:23 am

unsub073 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:51 am
I tend to wear my no date's on weekends and vacation when I don't really care what day it is.
I’m thinking this. A no-date will be my retirement watch.
If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:50 am

rain_maker wrote:I used to think date was a must but have gradually moved to almost exclusively ND watches. Was a pain for the first couple of weeks when I switched over but that's mostly muscle memory of looking at your watch for the date.

I realized that half the time I looked at the date I didn't really "see" it, meaning I didn't remember the date even 5 min later. Now I've gotten used to checking the date once in the am and remembering it for the day. So it their own way, ND watches are better for your mental acuity!
That's an interesting point. Makes sense and I want to try it... But now I have to buy a ND watch Image
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins