New IWC Spitfire Collection

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
sierra11b
Name: Eric

Re: New IWC Spitfire Collection

Post by sierra11b » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:17 pm

Aren’t these ceramic cases extremely brittle?

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:19 am

FWIW, I read online that the red 'SPITFIRE' text on the dial was only on the pre-production versions and will be removed from the production versions. This photo of the chronograph at ablogtowatch does seem to show some proof of this:

goaliechris
Name: Chris

Post by goaliechris » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:45 am

logan2z wrote:FWIW, I read online that the red 'SPITFIRE' text on the dial was only on the pre-production versions and will be removed from the production versions. This photo of the chronograph at ablogtowatch does seem to show some proof of this:

That’s hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nellipj
Name: Patrick

Post by Nellipj » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:53 am

logan2z wrote:FWIW, I read online that the red 'SPITFIRE' text on the dial was only on the pre-production versions and will be removed from the production versions. This photo of the chronograph at ablogtowatch does seem to show some proof of this:

That’s a winner right there. Not a fan of the red text version.

Knome
Name: Ken

Post by Knome » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:53 am

yeah they tend to do this with prototypes. The 8 day manual wind big pilot with the big date they released last year had the text "8 Days" on the dial and was taken off due to feedback before the production pieces hit the boutiques.

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:28 pm

Liking all of these Andrew !!! :salute: Boy oh boy, how do we pick out a favorite really?!!
It has to be one of each then I guess. :grin: Seriously though, what a line-up. Thanks very
much for the news !

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:33 pm

Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

Denizen

Post by Denizen » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:59 am

Champagne InHand wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:13 pm
I think in house movements are so stupid as it raises prices and servicing costs. ETA really threw people into a panic, but their actions backfired on them as Miyota was ready to pump out as many 9015s as the micro market needed. Now they forced others to put out in -house movements, and yet none are any better at telling time or being more able to be chronometer certified.

The ETA 2892-2 was a movement that almost any company could modify to their needs as a 3 hander or as a base for a chronograph. It was thin enough that these modifications kept the chronograph quite slim and most watch makers could service them.

Now the customer has to pay more to offset the costs of in-house movements and pay higher servicing fees including sending their watch back to the factory or very few authorized AD service centers. A lose-lose for the consumers.

It’s too bad. We shall see how much this impacts IWC sales over the next decade or so and I wonder if it will force them into a takeover position by a larger conglomerate like Swatch Corp, that will just put back ETA based (in-house) movements back into these watches again. Which leaves those with the in-house a bit SOoL when it comes to finding parts decades down the road.

The ETA/Sellita or in-house question gets thrown about always.

Yes, the 2982 is a great movement but IWC needed to go in-house if they wanted people to pay the premium they were charging for their pilots. My biggest dislike with the recent iterationa of the Pilots has been the date window placement and these Spitfires thankfully are IMO...correctly done now (and sized).

Easy serviceability of the ETA by third-parties, etc...that's going to get squeezed out anyway as more and more brands restrict who can get parts.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:06 am

Looks like the rumors were true, the red 'SPITFIRE' text is (thankfully) not on the production dials.

https://www.iwc.com/en/watch-collection ... tfire.html

dinexus
Name: Zach

Post by dinexus » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:44 am

Definitely prefer the Spitfire to when they looked like the Spitfire.

New collection is pretty neat tho.