New IWC Spitfire Collection

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

New IWC Spitfire Collection

Post by logan2z » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:08 pm

A whole host of new Spitfire models has been announced by IWC, all with new in-house movements.

I like the chronograph quite a bit and the UTC model is unique and cool, but that red 'SPITFIRE' text is a real turn-off. Why does IWC always nearly get it right but kill it for me with one annoying design misstep?

Prices aren't bad considering the in-house movements: $4350 for the standard pilot and $5700 for the chronograph, in steel. 39mm for the standard pilot and 41mm for the chronograph, so a bit smaller than previous models. Some models offer bronze cases with green dials too.

Details at Hodinkee...

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/iwc-p ... ntroducing

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Re: New IWC Spitfire Collection

Post by JP Chestnut » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:14 pm

IWC just couldn’t help ripping off the red sub text. They’re dick riders to the extreme.

I like the idea of a mark whatever with an in-house movement, though I’m not sure I’d like to deal with richemont long term.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:16 pm

Also, there’s a crack in the lume of that chronograph in the first picture. Nice.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:18 pm

Finally an in-house...Spitfire chrono looks pretty good. Maybe the Mark gets an in-house next???

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:23 pm

Wasn't sure what I was doing in 2019 besides waiting for Pepsi. Now I do

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:28 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:23 pm
Yeah, at $7750 retail with ceramic case and new in-house chronograph, that seems like a winner. And it doesn't say 'TOP GUN' on the dial like the three-hander ;)

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:30 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
You sure you don't want the sand-colored ceramic version? ;)

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:33 pm

logan2z wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:30 pm
Panerai7 wrote:

Nah a bit washed out. This is it. Like IWC listened and delivered, no dumb windshield wiper date windows no empty dial last year in house 3890. Just perfect

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:39 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:33 pm
logan2z wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:30 pm
Panerai7 wrote:

Nah a bit washed out. This is it. Like IWC listened and delivered, no dumb windshield wiper date windows no empty dial last year in house 3890. Just perfect
I'm with you. The black ceramic Top Gun or the Spitfire Chronograph in steel would be my choice. Just wish they didn't have the red text, the previous Spitfire models didn't have/need it. Maybe it's not so egregious in person.

Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Post by Jeep99dad » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:44 pm

I want that Chrono or this
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:45 pm

Jeep99dad wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:44 pm
I want that Chrono or this
Something about the three-hander doesn't seem very Top-Gunny :shrug:

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:55 pm

logan2z wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:28 pm

Yeah, at $7750 retail with ceramic case and new in-house chronograph, that seems like a winner. And it doesn't say 'TOP GUN' on the dial like the three-hander ;)
color me interested

goaliechris
Name: Chris

Post by goaliechris » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:58 pm

logan2z wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
Well, damn. That’s really nice. Checks a lot of boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Champagne InHand

Post by Champagne InHand » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:13 pm

I think in house movements are so stupid as it raises prices and servicing costs. ETA really threw people into a panic, but their actions backfired on them as Miyota was ready to pump out as many 9015s as the micro market needed. Now they forced others to put out in -house movements, and yet none are any better at telling time or being more able to be chronometer certified.

The ETA 2892-2 was a movement that almost any company could modify to their needs as a 3 hander or as a base for a chronograph. It was thin enough that these modifications kept the chronograph quite slim and most watch makers could service them.

Now the customer has to pay more to offset the costs of in-house movements and pay higher servicing fees including sending their watch back to the factory or very few authorized AD service centers. A lose-lose for the consumers.

It’s too bad. We shall see how much this impacts IWC sales over the next decade or so and I wonder if it will force them into a takeover position by a larger conglomerate like Swatch Corp, that will just put back ETA based (in-house) movements back into these watches again. Which leaves those with the in-house a bit SOoL when it comes to finding parts decades down the road.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:23 pm

I'm hoping that most/all of these are actually available at ADs and not exclusively available online at full MSRP :think:

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:27 pm

Champagne InHand wrote:I think in house movements are so stupid as it raises prices and servicing costs. ETA really threw people into a panic, but their actions backfired on them as Miyota was ready to pump out as many 9015s as the micro market needed. Now they forced others to put out in -house movements, and yet none are any better at telling time or being more able to be chronometer certified.

The ETA 2892-2 was a movement that almost any company could modify to their needs as a 3 hander or as a base for a chronograph. It was thin enough that these modifications kept the chronograph quite slim and most watch makers could service them.

Now the customer has to pay more to offset the costs of in-house movements and pay higher servicing fees including sending their watch back to the factory or very few authorized AD service centers. A lose-lose for the consumers.

It’s too bad. We shall see how much this impacts IWC sales over the next decade or so and I wonder if it will force them into a takeover position by a larger conglomerate like Swatch Corp, that will just put back ETA based (in-house) movements back into these watches again. Which leaves those with the in-house a bit SOoL when it comes to finding parts decades down the road.

Personally, in-house movements are one of the first things I’m willing to pay extra money for. The innovation and engineering that a brand must possess to create and manufacture their own movement is part of why I like mechanical watches in the first place.
:htfu:

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:36 pm

Hmmm...

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:39 pm

JBZ wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:36 pm
Hmmm...

Wearing mine right now. Unbeatable for under $400. I actually think Hamilton is charging too little for it :shh:

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:14 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:27 pm
Champagne InHand wrote:I think in house movements are so stupid as it raises prices and servicing costs. ETA really threw people into a panic, but their actions backfired on them as Miyota was ready to pump out as many 9015s as the micro market needed. Now they forced others to put out in -house movements, and yet none are any better at telling time or being more able to be chronometer certified.

Personally, in-house movements are one of the first things I’m willing to pay extra money for. The innovation and engineering that a brand must possess to create and manufacture their own movement is part of why I like mechanical watches in the first place.
Same. Shows effort. It's no worse than a Val 7750 equipped IWC for 5K while other chronos with the same movement are 1-2K

Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Post by Jeep99dad » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:30 pm

matt.wu wrote:

Totally agree.
Charging 4-5k + for a SW300 is not better. Iwc needs to snow what they can do
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

nweash
Name: Nick

Post by nweash » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:06 pm

I thought the FDE version would’ve been cool with the standard dial but even with a little photoshop I’d still go classic black ceramic.

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:10 pm

nweash wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:06 pm
I thought the FDE version would’ve been cool with the standard dial but even with a little photoshop I’d still go classic black ceramic.

The whole point of a ceramic watch is to have a black watch that doesn't scratch. I don't need a ceramic watch that looks like steel.

Skinny Rogers
Name: Lance

Post by Skinny Rogers » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:13 pm

I really like the 39mm steel case...

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:08 pm

I’m still waiting for a line on the 3777-24.
:htfu:

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:14 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:08 pm
I’m still waiting for a line on the 3777-24.
I don't see it on IWC's web site any longer and a local AD told me it was sold out. Didn't think it was an LE but maybe it was.