IWC Ceramic BP

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
goaliechris
Name: Chris

IWC Ceramic BP

Post by goaliechris » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:13 am

Starting to get an itchy trigger finger again (always seems to happen this time of year). I’ve always wanted a Big Pilot and lately I’ve been interested in trying a ceramic watch. Anyone seen one of these in the flesh? 46mm, supposed to be very light to wear. Appreciate any opinions on it - have never seen one in public. The closest I’ve seen is the chrono version Jeremy Clarkson wears on Top Gear.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Re: IWC Ceramic BP

Post by logan2z » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:27 am

I'm a big fan of the BP in all of it's guises, but every time I try it on I'm reminded of how BIG it really is - and this is coming from someone who wears 47mm Panerais. The ceramic model is cool but the watch is just too thick for me to find comfortable and I'm sure it would see it's fair share of door frames. How the ceramic would hold up to impacts like that would concern me and I'd probably worry about the watch too much to enjoy wearing it.

I'd personally go for the BP Heritage. I don't normally like Ti watches but in this case the weight reduction is welcome and I like the vintagey vibe. I tend to keep my watches for a long time and think the Heritage model (or the steel models) will stand the test of time better than the more trendy ceramic.

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:16 am

I’ve tried it on and loved it. The black ceramic made it seem and wear a little smaller than the metal BP models.

Haven’t tried the Ti model but Andrew knows his IWC pilots

goaliechris
Name: Chris

Post by goaliechris » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:12 pm

Thanks - all helpful. Got to find me a couple and try them on. I like that vintage look too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:12 pm

I had a 46mm glycine that wanted to be one of these - wore like a big flat plate on my 7” wrist.

Just saying I recommend you try that one on before buying if possible
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Post by blkgsl » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:07 am

I have one, the black ceramic top gun model. It wears notably smaller and lighter than my le petit prince, and the strap is super comfortable. On the wrist, it feels like a lighter 47mm Panerai (e.g. 422).

Knome
Name: Ken

Post by Knome » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:39 am

The ceramic models feature a thicker case to compensate for the inherent brittle nature of ceramic. That also means the dial is ever so slightly smaller as well, this gives a barely noticeable effect of looking smaller on the wrist. Also the darker color of the material helps. The external dimensions are the same as the metal cased versions.
However this does not affect the thickness of the watch, but you lose the soft iron anti-magnetic cage for the movement in many if not all the 46mm ceramic models. (i think the old 48mm models kept the anti-magnetic feature), It is certainly a drawback but the ceramic models are still super cool.