General watch talk.
dnslater
Name: Nick

Re: Watch trading: a cautionary tale

Post by dnslater » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:42 pm

deepcdvr wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:29 am
^^ haha - thanks guys...

I've read somewhere that Tudor is just swapping out movements of the in-house calibers on the BB's if they need repair. Anecdotal reports, but I've read a couple. Also a guy on TRF, I believe, said his watch just stopped working after 6 months and Tudor just swapped it out, albeit under warranty.
Remember that according to the recent GQ article, Tudor and Rolex share the same R&D test lab. My guess is that they take the failed movements and break them down to figure out what went wrong. Serial numbers will also tell them which person assembled the watch so they can tell if there are issues with certain employees.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:45 pm

dnslater wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:42 pm
deepcdvr wrote:
^^ haha - thanks guys...

I've read somewhere that Tudor is just swapping out movements of the in-house calibers on the BB's if they need repair. Anecdotal reports, but I've read a couple. Also a guy on TRF, I believe, said his watch just stopped working after 6 months and Tudor just swapped it out, albeit under warranty.
Remember that according to the recent GQ article, Tudor and Rolex share the same R&D test lab. My guess is that they take the failed movements and break them down to figure out what went wrong. Serial numbers will also tell them which person assembled the watch so they can tell if there are issues with certain employees.
Interesting

I assume the cost for all that quality assurance will be passed on to me lol
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

para13cord

Post by para13cord » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:31 pm

deepcdvr wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:45 pm
:roll:

93 Turbo
Name: Jules

Post by 93 Turbo » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:38 pm

Nice truck Paul, On a different note: I went to leave my house at 05.45 this morning for training, and as soon as I opened my door, my recently acquired Toyota Hilux of 6 weeks was not in front of my house. Some ass hole has stolen my vehicle during the evening.

Hugely pissed off as I'd only finished making some mods to it and had my two surf ski paddles in the truck, with other paddling stuff. Didn't hear shit during the evening, most nights I sleep light, must have been in a deep sleep or these guys were good. these I've found out are a highly stolen vehicle. Went to the local Police who said to call (1800 who cares) line and get a event for insurance purposes. Yeah it's insured but I really don't need the hassle...

Hope this watch thing works out for you. J
Strength is = 2 or > than "tipping over a so- called smart car plastered in “Coexist” bumper stickers".

Pat McNamara.

Sidheguitarist
Man of many calibers.
Name: Michael

Post by Sidheguitarist » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:15 pm

Man, good DWC people are just eating crap right now. Here’s hoping that December turns around... :fro:

93 Turbo

Post by 93 Turbo » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:17 pm

Sidheguitarist wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:15 pm
Man, good DWC people are just eating crap right now. Here’s hoping that December turns around... :fro:
Yeah 2018 hasn't been one of the best years upon reflection. But I'm generally the optimist. Thanks J
Strength is = 2 or > than "tipping over a so- called smart car plastered in “Coexist” bumper stickers".

Pat McNamara.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:56 am

deepcdvr wrote:
dnslater wrote:
deepcdvr wrote:
^^ haha - thanks guys...

Interesting

Yeah, but they'll probably give you a hat or some Rolex branded chocolate.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:42 am

Sidheguitarist wrote:Man, good DWC people are just eating crap right now. Here’s hoping that December turns around... :fro:
Two dudes and a cup...
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire

Post by deepcdvr » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:39 am

JBZ wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:56 am
deepcdvr wrote:
dnslater wrote:
deepcdvr wrote:
^^ haha - thanks guys...

Interesting

Really? SO excited!

I’ve been to the White House a couple of times and received WH branded M&M’s and Reese’s cups.... I didn’t have to pay $1000 for them though.
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

93 Turbo

Post by 93 Turbo » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:27 am

deepcdvr wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:39 am
JBZ wrote:
deepcdvr wrote:
dnslater wrote:
deepcdvr wrote:
^^ haha - thanks guys...

Interesting

Really? SO excited!

I’ve been to the White House a couple of times and received WH branded M&M’s and Reese’s cups.... I didn’t have to pay $1000 for them though.
You only had to give a lot of blood & sweat for that Paul. Sweet Truck mate, your Tundras are bigger that what we have here in Aus, my Hilux has either been stripped down for parts or shortly about to be sent to the Middle East or SE Asia. J

Pat McNamara.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:42 am

deepcdvr wrote:
JBZ wrote:
deepcdvr wrote:
dnslater wrote:
deepcdvr wrote:
^^ haha - thanks guys...

Interesting

Really? SO excited!

That they even have WH branded candy is troubling.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:47 am

93 Turbo wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:38 pm
Nice truck Paul, On a different note: I went to leave my house at 05.45 this morning for training, and as soon as I opened my door, my recently acquired Toyota Hilux of 6 weeks was not in front of my house. Some ass hole has stolen my vehicle during the evening.

Hugely pissed off as I'd only finished making some mods to it and had my two surf ski paddles in the truck, with other paddling stuff. Didn't hear shit during the evening, most nights I sleep light, must have been in a deep sleep or these guys were good. these I've found out are a highly stolen vehicle. Went to the local Police who said to call (1800 who cares) line and get a event for insurance purposes. Yeah it's insured but I really don't need the hassle...

wow that sucks for sure!

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:33 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:47 am
93 Turbo wrote:

wow that sucks for sure!
Agree - totally sucks. Plus, the gear in the truck you also lost can be a pain to prove value of with the insurance company. For example, most of my surfboards were custom made and purchased from local shapers with the deals done with cash over multiple beers. Kinda hard to prove their value if they were stolen.

Motion sensitive spotlights are probably the best deterent for the casual thief, but a pro thief will get your truck no matter what you do.

Years ago I knew a guy who went to court for beating the crap out of a car thief. He had a silent alarm (sensors in the car triggered a pager-type device on his person - no siren in the car). He went after the thief (who was still halfway in his car) with a baseball bat. I guess he was really swinging for the fences. Local PD felt the car owner's response was "disproportionate" to the crime. I tend to disagree.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire

Post by deepcdvr » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:50 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:33 am
toxicavenger wrote:
93 Turbo wrote:

wow that sucks for sure!
Agree - totally sucks. Plus, the gear in the truck you also lost can be a pain to prove value of with the insurance company. For example, most of my surfboards were custom made and purchased from local shapers with the deals done with cash over multiple beers. Kinda hard to prove their value if they were stolen.

Motion sensitive spotlights are probably the best deterent for the casual thief, but a pro thief will get your truck no matter what you do.

Years ago I knew a guy who went to court for beating the crap out of a car thief. He had a silent alarm (sensors in the car triggered a pager-type device on his person - no siren in the car). He went after the thief (who was still halfway in his car) with a baseball bat. I guess he was really swinging for the fences. Local PD felt the car owner's response was "disproportionate" to the crime. I tend to disagree.
I somehow missed that J got his truck stolen - Fk that totally sucks!!!

Yeah - the baseball bat story - if it was me, I think they would have trouble finding the guy....
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:36 am

93 Turbo wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:17 pm
Sidheguitarist wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:15 pm
Yeah 2018 hasn't been one of the best years upon reflection. But I'm generally the optimist. Thanks J
Sorry to hear about your truck. Yeah, for me 2018 has just flat out sucked for many reasons. One thing after another. 2019's got to be better.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:12 am

deepcdvr wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:50 am
Ryeguy wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:33 am
toxicavenger wrote:
93 Turbo wrote:

wow that sucks for sure!

I somehow missed that J got his truck stolen - Fk that totally sucks!!!

Yeah - the baseball bat story - if it was me, I think they would have trouble finding the guy....
Agreed. That's the side benefit to having a lobsterman's license. We are always looking for bait for the traps.

1954Selmer
Name: RC

Post by 1954Selmer » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:51 pm

Damn Paul. You must a very patient and kind man.
Cool move

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire

Post by deepcdvr » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:56 pm

^^^ thanks :cheers:

A lot of people texted or pm’d me to tell me I was nuts, but although I’m pretty pissed off about the whole thing, I feel ok about it. At least today.

If Tudor comes back and wants more than a grand or tells me the watch suffered trauma, I’m going to feel like an idiot because the trade has been made at this point.
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:03 pm

I predict $500 or less. Think positive.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire

Post by deepcdvr » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:31 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:03 pm
I predict $500 or less. Think positive.
That would be a great Christmas present. Best part is the watch is immaculate and if they get it running, they’ll supply a two year warranty, from what I’ve read, which would make it a virtually new(ish) watch. I don’t see that happening, but I’m trying to think positive ;)
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:42 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
93 Turbo wrote:

wow that sucks for sure!

Many years ago, I had the pleasure of discovering a guy, bent in to the passenger side of my car with his hands buried in the glovebox...
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:52 pm

JDC222 wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
93 Turbo wrote:

wow that sucks for sure!

Many years ago, I had the pleasure of discovering a guy, bent in to the passenger side of my car with his hands buried in the glovebox...
Is that the guy you tossed in the wood chipper? I like how you call him “our friend the fertilizer.”

Grahamcombat
Name: Graham

Post by Grahamcombat » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:40 pm

JDC222 wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
93 Turbo wrote:

wow that sucks for sure!

Sounds like a diner conversation

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire

Post by deepcdvr » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:27 am

The Tudor has been delayed in getting to RSC, according to USPS; I insured it for 3K. Is it wrong of me to wish for the package to get lost or stolen in transit?

:banplz:
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:44 am

deepcdvr wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:27 am
The Tudor has been delayed in getting to RSC, according to USPS; I insured it for 3K. Is it wrong of me to wish for the package to get lost or stolen in transit?

:banplz:
Nope. I routinely had similar thoughts when I parked my old Jeep Cherokee with 250K miles on the clock in Boston / Logan long term parking. I would just about leave the windows down and the key in the truck in the hopes that someone would steal it.

You should've written "Fragile Handle with Care - Luxury Watch!" all over the outside of the package!