Watch trading: a cautionary tale ****Update***

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
watchdawg
Name: Vic

Re: Watch trading: a cautionary tale

Post by watchdawg » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:04 am

I will also recommend Terry ‘s guy. He fixed 2 of my watches both of which were supposed to be only fixed by the manufacturer service center. One of them isn’t even sold in the states. Plus the price is right.

hobbit712
Name: Steve

Post by hobbit712 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:20 am

Any chance the guy had no idea how to wind it? I mean he sounds kinda like a watch guy....but? Maybe the stem was just in the right position as not to turn any gears? Or did he try to self wind it? Grasping at straws here Paul. :shrug:
https://watchidiotsavants3.godaddysites.com/
instagram @watchidiotsavants

Chase after the dream, don't chase after the money

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:23 pm

Thanks for the input guys..

Received the watch this morning - DOA. It’s fully would (you can hear the clicks when winding) but the seconds hand is frozen. Crazy that a watch that worked perfectly and sat in the box for two weeks would just freeze up. Especially a Tudor with a supposedly bad ass in house movement.

Anyway, Matt Graham’s pro asked me the date of the watch and said if it’s newer than 2014, they would have no parts. Also called two AD’s local - with watchmakers in the shop - and neither would open up the caseback. Lame. They said they would ship it to RSC for me though. How nice of them.

I’m running out of options. Terry’s guy is awesome, but I’m thinking more and more that I should just bite the bullet and take it in to be shipped off.

Anybody have experience with sending a relatively new Tudor to get looked at - without a warranty card? I suspect the answer is no...
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:31 pm

Send it to Dallas RSC.

As someone mentioned, it’ll get done right and come with a warranty - this might help you fetch a better price.

It’s also possible that Tudor might handle it or mitigate the cost. Worth a shot and it’s a one stop solution.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:37 pm

The guys on TRF say going through RSC in Dallas is your best bet - better experiences there than through the other service centers, I guess.

No experience sending one in (with our without warranty card), but I believe you can contact them and send it directly rather than go through an AD/watchmaker.

Good luck - sorry for your trouble.

On edit: basically what Ed says.

shaneotool

Post by shaneotool » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:08 pm

deepcdvr wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:23 pm
Thanks for the input guys..

Received the watch this morning - DOA. It’s fully would (you can hear the clicks when winding) but the seconds hand is frozen. Crazy that a watch that worked perfectly and sat in the box for two weeks would just freeze up. Especially a Tudor with a supposedly bad ass in house movement.

Anyway, Matt Graham’s pro asked me the date of the watch and said if it’s newer than 2014, they would have no parts. Also called two AD’s local - with watchmakers in the shop - and neither would open up the caseback. Lame. They said they would ship it to RSC for me though. How nice of them.

I’m running out of options. Terry’s guy is awesome, but I’m thinking more and more that I should just bite the bullet and take it in to be shipped off.

Anybody have experience with sending a relatively new Tudor to get looked at - without a warranty card? I suspect the answer is no...
I sent a Pelagos to the Dallas RSC a few years ago. It has the ETA movement and no warranty card. It was keeping good time but had a poor power reserve. I've had bad luck trying to find someone to work on a watch local so i figured I would send it in and have it fixed right.

The wanted $750 to fix it. I told them to send it back.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire

Post by deepcdvr » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:16 pm

Ok thanks guys.

I don’t have any spare change for this drama right now...

I can send it directly to Dallas, but I thought coming in from an AD I may have a better chance of getting them to fix it? From a warranty perspective, I suspect it’s still within the 2 year mark, just no card...
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:31 pm

deepcdvr wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:16 pm
Ok thanks guys.

I can send it directly to Dallas, but I thought coming in from an AD I may have a better chance of getting them to fix it? From a warranty perspective, I suspect it’s still within the 2 year mark, just no card...
I wouldn't go through an AD if the watch wasn't purchased through them. They've got no incentive to make it better for you.
:htfu:

para13cord

Post by para13cord » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:58 pm

Captdave wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:30 pm
Like the saying goes “no good deed goes unpunished “
^^^ This is the truth way too often. That guy sounds like a pain in the ass. Hopefully it’s something minor and a cheap fix.

What color is it? Asking for a friend :grin:

TIMUR
Name: Tim

Post by TIMUR » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:05 pm

This sucks balls . In a bad way. Sorry to hear...good luck

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire

Post by deepcdvr » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:31 pm

para13cord wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:58 pm
Captdave wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:30 pm
Like the saying goes “no good deed goes unpunished “
^^^ This is the truth way too often. That guy sounds like a pain in the ass. Hopefully it’s something minor and a cheap fix.

What color is it? Asking for a friend :grin:
Lol sup T, :cheers:

Black 41
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire

Post by deepcdvr » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:33 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:31 pm
deepcdvr wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:16 pm
Ok thanks guys.

I wouldn't go through an AD if the watch wasn't purchased through them. They've got no incentive to make it better for you.
Thanks Matt

Shipping it to Dallas tomorrow - we’ll see what they say!
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:49 pm

Sorry to hear Paul, I think you find a legit Tudor AD ( Timeless Luxury) they post here...and see what the price would be. you pay more and now you have papers.

I am not sure I agree that AD's don't have any reason to help. Good service = potential future business. A while back, I bought an Anonimo from a jeweler no longer in business. I had a problem with the watch and called another AD--that guy helped me out...Been buying and trading watches with this guy going on 10 years---the AD was Topper...

Erratic101
Name: Justyn

Post by Erratic101 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:29 pm

Tough story, sorry you’ve had to deal with this crap. Hoping for the best.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire

Post by deepcdvr » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:39 pm

Thanks gents

I’ll be selling some stuff soon so help an old Sailor out and buy my stuff

Mostly G type watches - and If you’re quick enough, I have a beautiful Tudor I’d like to unload as well. Cheap ;)
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Post by blkgsl » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:58 pm

jimyritz wrote:Sorry to hear Paul, I think you find a legit Tudor AD ( Timeless Luxury) they post here...and see what the price would be. you pay more and now you have papers.

I am not sure I agree that AD's don't have any reason to help. Good service = potential future business. A while back, I bought an Anonimo from a jeweler no longer in business. I had a problem with the watch and called another AD--that guy helped me out...Been buying and trading watches with this guy going on 10 years---the AD was Topper...
Yeah , but Topper isn’t most AD :). They’re a star in a sky of dust !

blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Post by blkgsl » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:00 pm

deepcdvr wrote:Thanks gents

I’ll be selling some stuff soon so help an old Sailor out and buy my stuff

Mostly G type watches - and If you’re quick enough, I have a beautiful Tudor I’d like to unload as well. Cheap ;)
Sorry to hear, Paul.

93 Turbo
Name: Jules

Post by 93 Turbo » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:09 am

What a cluster f&*k Paul, and your left carrying the can.

If you have to go down the AD repair path, and you'll know how best to play this, but subtly bang on about getting the watch for work, "bought it from another buddy in the office who'd lost the papers... Did a few dives/high speed low drag sh{t and now she's broke, yeah theres no warranty, but we used to get issued these years ago, it's a dive watch isn't it?... " or words to this effect.

Worst case you'll have to pay full tilt for the repair, or they may cut you some slack, also this is pretty close to the truth so not BS'ing too much. Nothing ventured...

Hope it works out mate. J
Strength is = 2 or > than "tipping over a so- called smart car plastered in “Coexist” bumper stickers".

Pat McNamara.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire

Post by deepcdvr » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:29 am

^^ haha - thanks guys...

My thought by going to an AD was exactly that - plead my case that I purchased from a friend (which I did) and it came with what it came with, but this is supposed to be a tough watch and was working fine until left unattended for a couple of weeks, etc...... Like Matt said, though, I have no relationship with a local AD. We have two in the area and they suck. I do have a relationship with a great jeweler that sells rolex and offers service - I think they send them to a guy in California - and they offer a one year warranty. My fear going that route is that they'll open up the case, find a sht show or don't have parts to repair, still charge me for handling and then I'm back to shipping to RSC anyway - and now the case has been opened. Matt's suggestion to just ship to RSC and roll the dice is probably the best call. My fear is that they tell me they want a grand or more, which I don't have at the moment (just bought a bad ass 2018 Tacoma and I'm broke lol)

I've read somewhere that Tudor is just swapping out movements of the in-house calibers on the BB's if they need repair. Anecdotal reports, but I've read a couple. Also a guy on TRF, I believe, said his watch just stopped working after 6 months and Tudor just swapped it out, albeit under warranty.

I'd love to know the history of this watch, although I'm sure it's gray market. You never know, Tudor may just swap out the movement if there is not observable (ie traumatic) appearance of abuse. In other words, if they open the watch case and find a manufacturing or assembly defect, my hope is that they'll just replace it quietly and send it back. I know, I know... wishful thinking :)
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:25 am

What a story Paul, and especially at this time of the year you don't need
any extra stress. :angryfire: Going to try, and think positive though, and say that
things will work out at least sort of alright with everything. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

So sorry though !

ncstate1201
Name: Geoff B

Post by ncstate1201 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:46 am

This sucks, glad to hear that there are still people that care about doing things the right way and many people PM the boards offering to help out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire

Post by deepcdvr » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:15 am

Yep - this place rocks

So watch is off to RSC Dallas - please pray for a Christmas miracle :)

(in all actuality, I should probably just buy a case of KY...)
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:38 am

deepcdvr wrote:Yep - this place rocks

So watch is off to RSC Dallas - please pray for a Christmas miracle :)

(in all actuality, I should probably just buy a case of KY...)
The use spit, but it’s Swiss Made spit.

hidden by leaves
Name: Anthony

Post by hidden by leaves » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:25 pm

Good luck, Paul!
Send lawyers, guns and money...

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:15 pm

blkgsl wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:58 pm
jimyritz wrote:Sorry to hear Paul, I think you find a legit Tudor AD ( Timeless Luxury) they post here...and see what the price would be. you pay more and now you have papers.

Yeah , but Topper isn’t most AD :). They’re a star in a sky of dust !
For sure, :thumbsup: