General watch talk.
hoppes-no9
Name: Dan

Looking of BOD Input

Post by hoppes-no9 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:59 pm

JBZ wrote:
hoppes-no9 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:22 pm
My wife has an Ebel Brasilia and a Cartier Ballon Bleu. Both are quartz, neither broke the bank, and both are gorgeous.

I like that Ebel. My wife's 50th is in January and she's difficult when it comes to jewelry, but she did like the one watch I bought her (vintage women's datejust). Unfortunately Cartier is a bit out of my league unless I find a good deal on a pre-owned one, but that Ebel might fit the bill.
My wife’s has the mother of pearl dial. It really is very nice in person. If I recall, it’s under 2K new.

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Re: Looking of BOD Input

Post by rockmastermike » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:06 pm

variation on the Reverso would be the Squadra

hoppes-no9
Name: Dan

Post by hoppes-no9 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:13 pm

In my opinion, since your friend and his wife aren’t watch people, it would be a waste of money to spring for something like a JLC or Panerai.

In this particular case I would stick with a name brand like Cartier, which even non-watch people will recognize and appreciate, or go for something less expensive but still nice, maybe a Longines or Hamilton or Ebel.

MikeyLikesIt

Post by MikeyLikesIt » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:26 pm

^^agree. Cartier Tank is obvious but a great choice

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:42 pm

It’s not rectangular but the Omega Constellation is a great ladies watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

vbuskirk
Thread Jacker Extraordinaire
Name: Chris

Post by vbuskirk » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:36 pm

I went with Cartier, when I had to do this. "Ballon Bleu" specifically.

They make great tanks though. The Reverso is better IMHO, but maybe not for a woman.
Chris

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:23 am

Cartier is the choice for non-watch people. It’s the name recognition with the ladies that will make it special and it’s a well known visual style in women’s watches too.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

unsub073
Name: chris

Post by unsub073 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:11 am

ChuckW wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:43 am
If I were a professional looking for a dress watch instead of a grimy retiree, I'd want a Reverso Duo.
This 100%, even though I'm not a retiree yet.

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:25 am

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:34 am

Non watch people.

Easy Michael Kors/Cartier or any watch sold by Macy's. All in quartz also.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:32 am

I wouldn't lump Cartier in with "non-watch people" brands like Michael Kors, Ralph Laruen, other "fashion watches", or even Tiffany (though I'm sure Tiffany's quality is excellent, at least with respect to the case and dial).

Cartier, while also being a jeweler, has a strong horological history. The tank watch is a classic. Sure, there may not be anything particularly special about a quartz tank beyond the Cartier name and case, but the brand as a whole stands on its own when it comes to watches.

Plus, for a woman who isn't otherwise a watch aficionado, Cartier provides instant name recognition, probably on the same level as Rolex. Even arguably better quality watches, like JLC, do not.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:46 am

JBZ wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:32 am
I wouldn't lump Cartier in with "non-watch people" brands like Michael Kors, Ralph Laruen, other "fashion watches", or even Tiffany (though I'm sure Tiffany's quality is excellent, at least with respect to the case and dial).

Cartier, while also being a jeweler, has a strong horological history. The tank watch is a classic. Sure, there may not be anything particularly special about a quartz tank beyond the Cartier name and case, but the brand as a whole stands on its own when it comes to watches.

Plus, for a woman who isn't otherwise a watch aficionado, Cartier provides instant name recognition, probably on the same level as Rolex. Even arguably better quality watches, like JLC, do not.
Cartier has a huge history, no two ways about that. When I lump it in with the others I mentioned it wasn't in reflection of the quality, it was based on that group of people recognizing it.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:24 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:46 am
JBZ wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:32 am

Cartier has a huge history, no two ways about that. When I lump it in with the others I mentioned it wasn't in reflection of the quality, it was based on that group of people recognizing it.
True, but if you buy your wife/SO a Michael Kors or other Macy's watch, she's going to say, "thank you." If you buy her a Cartier, she's going to say, "ooh, Cartier!" (and then good things may happen for/to you).

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:50 pm

Look at all the rectangle cases- all copying Cartier--to me if it can be afforded the Cartier is the choice.

drster
Name: mark

Post by drster » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:38 pm

Can't go wrong with Cartier tank. I had a nice Patek Quartz nautilus a few months ago that would have been perfect. They make it in TT. It's not rectangular but has the snob factor. Probably too expensive even used. Cartier is the easy choice and it's a solid winner.