Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
FireMonk3y

Re: Shoulda kept it sealed...

Post by FireMonk3y » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:00 pm

outtatime wrote:
FireMonk3y wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:14 am
I’ve been saving for a while now to get a 116600. Was hoping to get one as a retirement present (20 years in the fire service) to myself, but that dream is fading fast. I’m going to hold out until early January and see if prices will drop some after Christmas, but not holding my breath. Really blows to find out you still can’t afford one after saving years to get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unless Rolex surprises anyone and suddenly floods the market with them on January 1st, I can't see secondary market value going anywhere but up for the foreseeable future.

I may be considering selling my 116600 at some point though...
That would be great!! I’m not looking at it as an investment, just really like the watch, and wanted it to mark an important time in my life. Story of my life: a day late and a dollar short!!

TSD
Name: Tom

Post by TSD » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:21 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:58 am
Insane.

Not too long ago this price is more than a nice red liner.
That watch at $14k makes zero sense to me. Hell, a 126600 is an improvement in almost every way over an SD4K, for less money, as far as I’m concerned.

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:11 pm

dukerules wrote:Modern Rolex prices are a joke to me. I jumped off that bus, and I'm not getting back on it.
Rolex and Porsche 911’s. Both going crazy.

Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:39 am

Sold my 116600 before it was discontinued. Regretted it every single day until I got my 43.5mm blue PO.

Overall, it’s a better watch than both the SD4K or SD43 IMHO.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:21 am

james80 wrote:Let’s all take a moment to collectively regret not buying Hoppy’s 16600 last year.
I read this post and punched myself in the nuts. Then I remembered the 116600 I also sold and I’ll resume punching.

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:53 am

Luckily for me, the new ceramic Rolex sports models, while clearly technically superior, just aren't as cool as their 4- and 5-digit predecessors. I had a ceramic Sub for years, and I liked it, but it was hard to convince myself to wear it instead of my 16600. And man, a ceramic Rolex attracts lots of attention, which for me was never a good thing.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:53 am

dukerules wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:53 am
Luckily for me, the new ceramic Rolex sports models, while clearly technically superior, just aren't as cool as their 4- and 5-digit predecessors. I had a ceramic Sub for years, and I liked it, but it was hard to convince myself to wear it instead of my 16600. And man, a ceramic Rolex attracts lots of attention, which for me was never a good thing.
No kidding about the ceramic. I had a friend I hadn’t seen in awhile look at a ceramic sub on my wrist and say, “check out the bling!”

Sold it within a week after that.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:16 pm

De-bling it. One of my favorite watches ever. I just had the matte treatment to the bezel and swapped the glidelock out for an EZ-link clasp from a Milgauss (brushed finish). Much thinner and more comfortable.

:htfu:

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:24 pm

^ hotness!

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:20 pm

Best. WuMod. Ever.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:30 pm

I want a Daytona or a new pepsi GMT- just wait to buy one from an AD...

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:31 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:16 pm
De-bling it. One of my favorite watches ever. I just had the matte treatment to the bezel and swapped the glidelock out for an EZ-link clasp from a Milgauss (brushed finish). Much thinner and more comfortable.

--------------
so awesome :headbang:

dinexus
Name: Zach

Post by dinexus » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:56 pm

Holy fuck. I slept on one of these for 8500 as prices were climbing.

outtatime
Name: Jon

Post by outtatime » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:26 am

matt.wu wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:16 pm

With no disrespect intended, I think that’s an atrocity committed against an innocent Rolex. IMO if you want a non-blingy
Rolex (which again I don’t understand that whole mentality) just get a Pelagos.

But, to each, his own I suppose.

I’m guessing I’m the only one here who actually likes PCL’s too...
Current
Alpina Extreme Diver 300 | Benarus Ti47 | Breitling Avenger Seawolf | Eterna KonTiki Super 1973 | Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic | Hamilton Pan Europ | IWC Aquatimer 2000 | Korsbek Oceaneer | Linde Werdelin The One 2.6 | Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre | Omega Seamaster 300 Titanium | Omega Seamaster 2531.80 | Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow | Panerai 005 | Rolex Deepsea | Steinhart Nav-B 6497 | Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military | Stowa Seatime | Zenith El Primero Stratos

Incoming

Considering
PAM 422 | AP Royal Oak 15400 Silver | Rolex Explorer II 42mm Polar | Omega PO 8500 XL

Sometimes it's easier just to watch

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:07 am

Wonder if it voids the whole warranty or just on the bezel insert part. I would do it like Matt's SDC.

For me personally SubcND is a perfect size where a regular sub is too small in my own eyes. Although I wore it for 4 years almost daily back in 2003-2007

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:50 am

matt.wu wrote:De-bling it. One of my favorite watches ever. I just had the matte treatment to the bezel and swapped the glidelock out for an EZ-link clasp from a Milgauss (brushed finish). Much thinner and more comfortable.

I wish Rolex would return to matte bezels and dials. They did it on the RG YM so you know they could if they wanted to.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

Mr_Pacman
Name: James

Post by Mr_Pacman » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:19 am

JBZ wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:46 am
james80 wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:22 am
Let’s all take a moment to collectively regret not buying Hoppy’s 16600 last year.
4 or 5 years ago, I almost pulled the trigger on a mid-1990's 16710 for $3,800, but I decided the extra $1,000 I was going to have to put in on top of a trade was too much. :crybaby: :nutkick:
I did do that 6 years ago and bought a near mint 16710 "D" serial for $4,000 CAD. I then sold it 3 years ago for $6,500 and bought myself a Tudor Chronograph with some of the profit and thought I was pretty badass. Now they are selling for 13k CAD for ones in worse shape than mine.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:23 am

Maybe there's something wrong with me, but I just don't get the fascination with Rolex. The watches are nice enough (I've considered an Explorer I a few times) but I'm just not sufficiently enamored to play the games (or pay the price) necessary to buy a basic steel sports watch from the brand. Couple that with the associated stigma and it's pretty much a non-starter for me :shrug:

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:44 am

logan2z wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:23 am
Maybe there's something wrong with me, but I just don't get the fascination with Rolex. The watches are nice enough (I've considered an Explorer I a few times) but I'm just not sufficiently enamored to play the games (or pay the price) necessary to buy a basic steel sports watch from the brand. Couple that with the associated stigma and it's pretty much a non-starter for me :shrug:
Rolex produces extremely durable, good looking watches. Until recently (say in the last 5 years), pre-owned prices for five digit SS models were pretty affordable when compared with other brands in a similar price/quality bracket. Things have just gone nuts recently (on vintage, too).

I can’t afford most Rolexes any longer, but that doesn’t keep me from preferring a lot of their models over other brands, especially five digit GMTs, Subs, and Explorer IIs.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:47 am

logan2z wrote:Maybe there's something wrong with me, but I just don't get the fascination with Rolex. The watches are nice enough (I've considered an Explorer I a few times) but I'm just not sufficiently enamored to play the games (or pay the price) necessary to buy a basic steel sports watch from the brand. Couple that with the associated stigma and it's pretty much a non-starter for me :shrug:
Based on current pricing I can understand. I was lucky enough to get my Exp II and BLNR from an AD at great discounts, and am not sure I’d pay MSRP and definitely would not pay above.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

james80
Name: James

Post by james80 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:55 am

If things keep going the way they are or even slow to more reasonable levels I still think a Rolex is a smart choice and can be justified non emotionally.

You are almost guaranteed to loose money on a PO, AT or similar where as you could buy a sub, SD or explorer and be out of it at any time for at least break even. I’m not trying to advocate watches as an investment Im saying that if you are owning, enjoying and flipping and would prefer not to loose money along the way you could do far worse than buying Rolex. But then what do I know? I’ve been on about an Explorer for over a year and just bought a Tudor.

smalls
Name: Matt

Post by smalls » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:07 am

My thing with Rolex is that they just age well. They’re timeless designs that hold up, for the most part, 30 plus years down the road. Unfortunately for Omega they just change the designs of their watches so frequently that over time they just start to look very dated, Speedmaster and a few others being the exception. So if I’m gonna spend upwards of $4-5k for a watch, I’m gonna save a bit longer for the Rolex. There’s also piece of mind for us flippers that we’re not gonna take a bloodbath when we roll into the next thing.

I’ll also add that a part of me enjoys the “history” behind the line. Rolex is one of the best I’ve seen at giving you the “why” when designing a watch, from the Explorer to the Sub to the SD and on down the list. Each watch feels very purpose driven vs. design driven. And each time I wear a particular piece I tie into that “history”. Adds some depth to the ownership that is lacking with other brands sometimes.

outtatime
Name: Jon

Post by outtatime » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:14 am

james80 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:55 am
If things keep going the way they are or even slow to more reasonable levels I still think a Rolex is a smart choice and can be justified non emotionally.

You are almost guaranteed to loose money on a PO, AT or similar where as you could buy a sub, SD or explorer and be out of it at any time for at least break even. I’m not trying to advocate watches as an investment Im saying that if you are owning, enjoying and flipping and would prefer not to loose money along the way you could do far worse than buying Rolex. But then what do I know? I’ve been on about an Explorer for over a year and just bought a Tudor.
That’s one of the reasons I primarily switched to Apple hardware for my computers. In a year or two, a PC is virtually worthless. If you get a mid-range MacBook Pro today, in 12 months oh can resell it for 75% of what you paid. Sometimes more.
Current
Alpina Extreme Diver 300 | Benarus Ti47 | Breitling Avenger Seawolf | Eterna KonTiki Super 1973 | Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic | Hamilton Pan Europ | IWC Aquatimer 2000 | Korsbek Oceaneer | Linde Werdelin The One 2.6 | Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre | Omega Seamaster 300 Titanium | Omega Seamaster 2531.80 | Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow | Panerai 005 | Rolex Deepsea | Steinhart Nav-B 6497 | Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military | Stowa Seatime | Zenith El Primero Stratos

Incoming

Considering
PAM 422 | AP Royal Oak 15400 Silver | Rolex Explorer II 42mm Polar | Omega PO 8500 XL

Sometimes it's easier just to watch