Tudor Black Bay GMT initial impressions

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
User avatar
hobbit712
Posts: 3058
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:55 am
Name: Steve
Contact:

Re: Tudor Black Bay GMT initial impressions

Post by hobbit712 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:25 am

That's a beautiful watch. I just don't like the rivet look all that much. Congrats!
http://watchidiotsavants.com
instagram @watchidiotsavants

Chase after the dream, don't chase after the money

User avatar
bpax
Posts: 1533
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:37 am
Name: Bill
Location: Fort Worth, Texas

Re: Tudor Black Bay GMT initial impressions

Post by bpax » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:54 am

Many congrats!

User avatar
jimyritz
Masshole
Posts: 22470
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:48 am
Name: Mike
Location: Boston

Re: Tudor Black Bay GMT initial impressions

Post by jimyritz » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:58 am

Congrats- love the GMT-- Home run for Tudor..

User avatar
jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Posts: 10584
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:11 pm
Name: Björn

Re: Tudor Black Bay GMT initial impressions

Post by jeckyll » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:21 am

Awesome watch! Congrats


Blah blah smrt phone

If you believe the doctors, nothing is wholesome; if you believe the theologians, nothing is innocent; if you believe the military, nothing is safe.
--Lord Salisbury

User avatar
1954Selmer
Posts: 2998
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:07 pm
Name: arce

Re: Tudor Black Bay GMT initial impressions

Post by 1954Selmer » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:37 pm

That's a cool Tudor. Thanks for the info and enjoy!

User avatar
watches503
Posts: 673
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:45 am
Name: Luis

Re: Tudor Black Bay GMT initial impressions

Post by watches503 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:45 pm

Big congrats ! Looks great !

User avatar
dinexus
Posts: 829
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:22 pm
Name: Zach

Re: Tudor Black Bay GMT initial impressions

Post by dinexus » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:43 am

Watch is cool or whatever, but I immediately Googled 'Hyve.' Bummer, no H&K parts.

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Posts: 8835
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:59 am
Name: Tom

Re: Tudor Black Bay GMT initial impressions

Post by AtomicTom » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:27 am

Such a remarkable watch Nick !!! :salute: Congratuations there ! Big congratulations !!! :excited:
Love hearing all your honest thoughts on this stunner, and seeing all of these phenomenal
pictures. It's like it's right here in person ! ..Thanks so much for taking the time !

User avatar
nweash
Posts: 2964
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:52 pm
Name: Nick
Location: Alta Loma, CA

Re: Tudor Black Bay GMT initial impressions

Post by nweash » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:58 am

Chocodove wrote:Love it. Interesting about bracelet sizing. My wrist is ~6.5” and I assume it would work, but would be very disappointed if it didn’t. Curious to see additional strap shots with the lug gap.

Regardless, it’s a great looking watch. Congrats and enjoy.

So I realized there is an extra link to remove so 6.5 is doable. Image

Here’s a realistic shot vs zoomed on lug gap.

Image

Image
Image

User avatar
jtbenson
Posts: 4849
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:21 pm
Name: jason
Location: middle west

Re: Tudor Black Bay GMT initial impressions

Post by jtbenson » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:04 pm

yikes, methinks you'll want to commission a das single pass canvas
Image

User avatar
nweash
Posts: 2964
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:52 pm
Name: Nick
Location: Alta Loma, CA

Re: Tudor Black Bay GMT initial impressions

Post by nweash » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:52 pm

jtbenson wrote:yikes, methinks you'll want to commission a das single pass canvas

Solid idea. I’ve ordered some fat bars in the meantime to see if that helps
Image

User avatar
Chocodove
Posts: 5525
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:35 pm
Name: Todd
Location: NJ/NY

Re: Tudor Black Bay GMT initial impressions

Post by Chocodove » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:03 pm

jtbenson wrote:yikes, methinks you'll want to commission a das single pass canvas
Yep. It would be a bracelet or nato only watch for me, which is all it really needs.
- Todd

User avatar
nweash
Posts: 2964
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:52 pm
Name: Nick
Location: Alta Loma, CA

Re: Tudor Black Bay GMT initial impressions

Post by nweash » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:53 pm

deepcdvr wrote:
nweash wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:32 pm
deepcdvr wrote:The last link - the one that attaches to the clasp on the 6 o’clock side - looks like it won’t come off, but it it will. Just have to push out the lug pin, remove that last link, and reinstall the pin on the next link. Works like a charm. I didn’t have to do it with a 7” wrist, but I’ve read about it. That should get your clasp better centered.

Gorgeous watch - congrats!!!

I just tried this unsuccessfully.

The link connected to the clasp at 6 o’clock is unlike the rest with a larger pin. The next link down has rivets that won’t let it sit in-between the clasp itself. (If that makes any sense I am not a good explainer)


A quick workaround was to wear the clasp backwards. Sits centered now as awkward as it looks. \_(ツ)_/¯
Correct - the last link down is connected to the clasp with a lug bar and requires a needle to release the pin, then you can just unscrew the last link and put the lug bar through the first rivet link on the clasp side. There are pics somewhere on WUS

Took me this long to realize I was trying to shorten the wrong side the whole time. Image

You were right it fits perfectly center now Image
Image

User avatar
TRUE LIBERTY
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 12:53 am

Re: Tudor Black Bay GMT initial impressions

Post by TRUE LIBERTY » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:03 pm

I love the Tudor design so much more than Rolex but it just drives me crazy and would never consider buying one when they give me a cheap aluminum bezel insert for the price of that watch.

User avatar
nweash
Posts: 2964
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:52 pm
Name: Nick
Location: Alta Loma, CA

Re: Tudor Black Bay GMT initial impressions

Post by nweash » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:23 pm

You may be right.

Aluminum just has that classic look.

Two tone matte ceramic would have been awesome but when you hear Rolexes reasoning for the BLNR pricing...I’d have to imagine this would be a 6k watch if they went that route.

If the aluminum is the only thing holding you back, I’d recommend checking one out in person.
Image

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 41826
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Tudor Black Bay GMT initial impressions

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:25 pm

TRUE LIBERTY wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:03 pm
I love the Tudor design so much more than Rolex but it just drives me crazy and would never consider buying one when they give me a cheap aluminum bezel insert for the price of that watch.
On the same hand the ceramic can't take any abuse. So people like me would rather get a watch with a metal insert that I can forget about then have to worry about some bling/weak solution. :mrgreen:

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Posts: 9430
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:03 am
Name: Jeff

Re: Tudor Black Bay GMT initial impressions

Post by JBZ » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:36 pm

TRUE LIBERTY wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:03 pm
I love the Tudor design so much more than Rolex but it just drives me crazy and would never consider buying one when they give me a cheap aluminum bezel insert for the price of that watch.
Rolex used aluminum for their bezels for years and charged as much or more than what Tudor charges for the black bay. Aluminum is less blingy, too.

To each their own, but I don’t see anything wrong with an aluminum bezel, and I think under $4,000 retail for an in-house movement with a gmt function is pretty good.
Image

User avatar
matt.wu
Wu
Posts: 27615
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:33 pm
Name: m@
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA

Re: Tudor Black Bay GMT initial impressions

Post by matt.wu » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:40 pm

If it was ceramic, you’d have the same pink/purple look of the BLRO.
:htfu:

User avatar
dnslater
Posts: 5461
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:52 pm
Name: Nick
Location: Indiana, USA

Re: Tudor Black Bay GMT initial impressions

Post by dnslater » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:14 am

Aluminum will give you that nice fade that Rolex fans love.... although I’m sure modern Aluminum bezels probably have better UV resistance.

User avatar
TRUE LIBERTY
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 12:53 am

Re: Tudor Black Bay GMT initial impressions

Post by TRUE LIBERTY » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:24 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:25 pm
TRUE LIBERTY wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:03 pm
I love the Tudor design so much more than Rolex but it just drives me crazy and would never consider buying one when they give me a cheap aluminum bezel insert for the price of that watch.
On the same hand the ceramic can't take any abuse. So people like me would rather get a watch with a metal insert that I can forget about then have to worry about some bling/weak solution. :mrgreen:
I mean unless I am taking the watch off and swinging it like a mad man across objects the ceramic has been pretty damn tough on my watches and Marine Masters cases. But this just me 4000 grand to get my money deserves top materials.

User avatar
TRUE LIBERTY
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 12:53 am

Re: Tudor Black Bay GMT initial impressions

Post by TRUE LIBERTY » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:30 am

JBZ wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:36 pm
TRUE LIBERTY wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:03 pm
I love the Tudor design so much more than Rolex but it just drives me crazy and would never consider buying one when they give me a cheap aluminum bezel insert for the price of that watch.
Rolex used aluminum for their bezels for years and charged as much or more than what Tudor charges for the black bay. Aluminum is less blingy, too.

To each their own, but I don’t see anything wrong with an aluminum bezel, and I think under $4,000 retail for an in-house movement with a gmt function is pretty good.
True, but now some customers expect more with the new modern materials being manufactured. As you say each to there own. Never again will these manufactures get my money with these cheaper made materials for a premium price.

User avatar
dnslater
Posts: 5461
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:52 pm
Name: Nick
Location: Indiana, USA

Re: Tudor Black Bay GMT initial impressions

Post by dnslater » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:45 am

TRUE LIBERTY wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:30 am
JBZ wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:36 pm
TRUE LIBERTY wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:03 pm
I love the Tudor design so much more than Rolex but it just drives me crazy and would never consider buying one when they give me a cheap aluminum bezel insert for the price of that watch.
Rolex used aluminum for their bezels for years and charged as much or more than what Tudor charges for the black bay. Aluminum is less blingy, too.

To each their own, but I don’t see anything wrong with an aluminum bezel, and I think under $4,000 retail for an in-house movement with a gmt function is pretty good.
True, but now some customers expect more with the new modern materials being manufactured. As you say each to there own. Never again will these manufactures get my money with these cheaper made materials for a premium price.
Are you also no longer buying watches with ommon stainless steel cases, when 306L is a cheap commodity and gold/ceramic are available?

Also FYI - Aluminum is the more modern material.... use of Ceramics in mass produced products goes back 5000 years. Aluminum maybe 200 years. Personally none of my bezels get too scratched up so I will take the more flexible material.

User avatar
nweash
Posts: 2964
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:52 pm
Name: Nick
Location: Alta Loma, CA

Re: Tudor Black Bay GMT initial impressions

Post by nweash » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:46 am

Tell me where you can get an in house gmt with two tone ceramic inlay for 4k and sign me up.
Image

User avatar
TRUE LIBERTY
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 12:53 am

Re: Tudor Black Bay GMT initial impressions

Post by TRUE LIBERTY » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:26 pm

dnslater wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:45 am
TRUE LIBERTY wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:30 am
JBZ wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:36 pm
TRUE LIBERTY wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:03 pm
I love the Tudor design so much more than Rolex but it just drives me crazy and would never consider buying one when they give me a cheap aluminum bezel insert for the price of that watch.
Rolex used aluminum for their bezels for years and charged as much or more than what Tudor charges for the black bay. Aluminum is less blingy, too.

To each their own, but I don’t see anything wrong with an aluminum bezel, and I think under $4,000 retail for an in-house movement with a gmt function is pretty good.
True, but now some customers expect more with the new modern materials being manufactured. As you say each to there own. Never again will these manufactures get my money with these cheaper made materials for a premium price.
Are you also no longer buying watches with ommon stainless steel cases, when 306L is a cheap commodity and gold/ceramic are available?

Also FYI - Aluminum is the more modern material.... use of Ceramics in mass produced products goes back 5000 years. Aluminum maybe 200 years. Personally none of my bezels get too scratched up so I will take the more flexible material.
Actually, that is exactly what I am trying to do from here on out. Well that is if I am spending a thousand dollars or more for a watch I am avoiding stainless steel and buying watches that are made of scratch resistant materials or heat treated steel like Dievas.

Well, we will have to agree to disagree on where this topic is going because todays standards of using ceramic into a high tech material is nothing like 5000 years ago. I just do not like aluminum. I don't like it on my watches and do not like it on my pocket knives. I just see it as a crap cheap material.

User avatar
Knome
Posts: 1526
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:08 pm
Name: Ken
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Tudor Black Bay GMT initial impressions

Post by Knome » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:00 am

If anything I wish more ppl hated aluminum bezels because I could really use the demand for the GMT and BB58 to cool off :mrgreen:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: apnk, Bing [Bot], foodle, jtbenson, Panerai7, raf42, RALAustin and 18 guests