Tudor Black Bay GMT initial impressions

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
hobbit712
Name: Steve

Re: Tudor Black Bay GMT initial impressions

Post by hobbit712 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:25 am

That's a beautiful watch. I just don't like the rivet look all that much. Congrats!
https://watchidiotsavants3.godaddysites.com/
instagram @watchidiotsavants

Chase after the dream, don't chase after the money

bpax
Name: Bill

Post by bpax » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:54 am

Many congrats!

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:58 am

Congrats- love the GMT-- Home run for Tudor..

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:21 am

Awesome watch! Congrats

Blah blah smrt phone

We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

1954Selmer
Name: RC

Post by 1954Selmer » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:37 pm

That's a cool Tudor. Thanks for the info and enjoy!

watches503
Name: Luis

Post by watches503 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:45 pm

Big congrats ! Looks great !

dinexus
Name: Zach

Post by dinexus » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:43 am

Watch is cool or whatever, but I immediately Googled 'Hyve.' Bummer, no H&K parts.

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:27 am

Such a remarkable watch Nick !!! :salute: Congratuations there ! Big congratulations !!! :excited:
Love hearing all your honest thoughts on this stunner, and seeing all of these phenomenal
pictures. It's like it's right here in person ! ..Thanks so much for taking the time !

nweash
Name: Nick

Post by nweash » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:58 am

Chocodove wrote:Love it. Interesting about bracelet sizing. My wrist is ~6.5” and I assume it would work, but would be very disappointed if it didn’t. Curious to see additional strap shots with the lug gap.

Regardless, it’s a great looking watch. Congrats and enjoy.

So I realized there is an extra link to remove so 6.5 is doable. Image

Here’s a realistic shot vs zoomed on lug gap.

jtbenson
Name: jason

Post by jtbenson » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:04 pm

yikes, methinks you'll want to commission a das single pass canvas

nweash

Post by nweash » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:52 pm

jtbenson wrote:yikes, methinks you'll want to commission a das single pass canvas

Solid idea. I’ve ordered some fat bars in the meantime to see if that helps

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:03 pm

jtbenson wrote:yikes, methinks you'll want to commission a das single pass canvas
Yep. It would be a bracelet or nato only watch for me, which is all it really needs.
- Todd

nweash

Post by nweash » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:53 pm

deepcdvr wrote:
nweash wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:32 pm
deepcdvr wrote:The last link - the one that attaches to the clasp on the 6 o’clock side - looks like it won’t come off, but it it will. Just have to push out the lug pin, remove that last link, and reinstall the pin on the next link. Works like a charm. I didn’t have to do it with a 7” wrist, but I’ve read about it. That should get your clasp better centered.

Gorgeous watch - congrats!!!

I just tried this unsuccessfully.

The link connected to the clasp at 6 o’clock is unlike the rest with a larger pin. The next link down has rivets that won’t let it sit in-between the clasp itself. (If that makes any sense I am not a good explainer)

A quick workaround was to wear the clasp backwards. Sits centered now as awkward as it looks. \_(ツ)_/¯
Correct - the last link down is connected to the clasp with a lug bar and requires a needle to release the pin, then you can just unscrew the last link and put the lug bar through the first rivet link on the clasp side. There are pics somewhere on WUS

Took me this long to realize I was trying to shorten the wrong side the whole time. Image

You were right it fits perfectly center now Image

TRUE LIBERTY

Post by TRUE LIBERTY » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:03 pm

I love the Tudor design so much more than Rolex but it just drives me crazy and would never consider buying one when they give me a cheap aluminum bezel insert for the price of that watch.

nweash

Post by nweash » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:23 pm

You may be right.

Aluminum just has that classic look.

Two tone matte ceramic would have been awesome but when you hear Rolexes reasoning for the BLNR pricing...I’d have to imagine this would be a 6k watch if they went that route.

If the aluminum is the only thing holding you back, I’d recommend checking one out in person.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:25 pm

TRUE LIBERTY wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:03 pm
I love the Tudor design so much more than Rolex but it just drives me crazy and would never consider buying one when they give me a cheap aluminum bezel insert for the price of that watch.
On the same hand the ceramic can't take any abuse. So people like me would rather get a watch with a metal insert that I can forget about then have to worry about some bling/weak solution. :mrgreen:

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:36 pm

TRUE LIBERTY wrote:
Rolex used aluminum for their bezels for years and charged as much or more than what Tudor charges for the black bay. Aluminum is less blingy, too.

To each their own, but I don’t see anything wrong with an aluminum bezel, and I think under $4,000 retail for an in-house movement with a gmt function is pretty good.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:40 pm

If it was ceramic, you’d have the same pink/purple look of the BLRO.
:htfu:

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:14 am

Aluminum will give you that nice fade that Rolex fans love.... although I’m sure modern Aluminum bezels probably have better UV resistance.

TRUE LIBERTY

Post by TRUE LIBERTY » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:24 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:25 pm
TRUE LIBERTY wrote:
On the same hand the ceramic can't take any abuse. So people like me would rather get a watch with a metal insert that I can forget about then have to worry about some bling/weak solution. :mrgreen:
I mean unless I am taking the watch off and swinging it like a mad man across objects the ceramic has been pretty damn tough on my watches and Marine Masters cases. But this just me 4000 grand to get my money deserves top materials.

TRUE LIBERTY

Post by TRUE LIBERTY » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:30 am

JBZ wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:36 pm
TRUE LIBERTY wrote:
Rolex used aluminum for their bezels for years and charged as much or more than what Tudor charges for the black bay. Aluminum is less blingy, too.

To each their own, but I don’t see anything wrong with an aluminum bezel, and I think under $4,000 retail for an in-house movement with a gmt function is pretty good.
True, but now some customers expect more with the new modern materials being manufactured. As you say each to there own. Never again will these manufactures get my money with these cheaper made materials for a premium price.

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:45 am

TRUE LIBERTY wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:30 am
JBZ wrote:
TRUE LIBERTY wrote:

True, but now some customers expect more with the new modern materials being manufactured. As you say each to there own. Never again will these manufactures get my money with these cheaper made materials for a premium price.
Are you also no longer buying watches with ommon stainless steel cases, when 306L is a cheap commodity and gold/ceramic are available?

Also FYI - Aluminum is the more modern material.... use of Ceramics in mass produced products goes back 5000 years. Aluminum maybe 200 years. Personally none of my bezels get too scratched up so I will take the more flexible material.

nweash

Post by nweash » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:46 am

Tell me where you can get an in house gmt with two tone ceramic inlay for 4k and sign me up.

TRUE LIBERTY

Post by TRUE LIBERTY » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:26 pm

dnslater wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:45 am
TRUE LIBERTY wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:30 am
JBZ wrote:
TRUE LIBERTY wrote:

Are you also no longer buying watches with ommon stainless steel cases, when 306L is a cheap commodity and gold/ceramic are available?

Also FYI - Aluminum is the more modern material.... use of Ceramics in mass produced products goes back 5000 years. Aluminum maybe 200 years. Personally none of my bezels get too scratched up so I will take the more flexible material.
Actually, that is exactly what I am trying to do from here on out. Well that is if I am spending a thousand dollars or more for a watch I am avoiding stainless steel and buying watches that are made of scratch resistant materials or heat treated steel like Dievas.

Well, we will have to agree to disagree on where this topic is going because todays standards of using ceramic into a high tech material is nothing like 5000 years ago. I just do not like aluminum. I don't like it on my watches and do not like it on my pocket knives. I just see it as a crap cheap material.

Knome
Name: Ken

Post by Knome » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:00 am

If anything I wish more ppl hated aluminum bezels because I could really use the demand for the GMT and BB58 to cool off :mrgreen: