Watch taste maturation... has this happened to you?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Panerai7
Name: Art

Re: Watch taste maturation... has this happened to you?

Post by Panerai7 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:41 am

Nope, still the same 40-44 and will never change
Tried 47mm and 36-38mm - clown show on my wrist.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:03 am

Your right Junghans make some nice watches my only one a issued Bund from the 1950's 34mm-42mm about were I am at today can't handle alarm clock size watches any more.

Bradystraps
Name: Todd

Post by Bradystraps » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:55 am

Very cool Junghans, RR. :thumbsup:

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:55 am

If the shoe fits I’ll give it a try. Equal opportunity watch tryer here. Sold the 114270 for the PO 43.5 and love them both.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:46 am

Can't relate to the word mature, as I'm still a 21 year old trapped in a 59 year old body.

As far as watches go, it's strictly Divers. I see Chronos, Pilot, and Field watches I've liked, but none yet that's given me that "I must have that" feeling.

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:32 am

I've gone full circle. When I started collecting twenty-five years ago, it was all vintage for me. Before the internet really cranked up, it was common to find nice, and sometimes rare pieces at flea markets, antique stores, pawn shops, and even gun shows. And they were cheap. The first watch that I sold on the internet was a 42mm Droz Super Compressor diver for less than $300., and I made money! Did I mention that they were cheap? Then I shifted to mostly new, higher end pieces (Rolex, Breitling, Panerai, etc.) Eventually I got bored with that, and sold off most of them. It's been vintage again for the past eight years or so. However, recently I found myself buying new microbrand watches, which usually got flipped pretty quickly. That's tapered off, and I've realized that buying an older watch like a wabi'd up diver or military piece, that's been used as intended and maybe has a story or some history behind it, is much more interesting to me. Only catch is that there aren't any $300. Droz Super Compressors out there anymore...
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:16 am

I like those Junghans watches, the design is beautiful and I've have been on the brink of buying a white dial Max Bill for years, but I know that I wont wear it. I prefer sport, stainless steel watches that work almost everywhere (Speedy on a black leather strap looks great with a Tux).

And that is what I call "maturation" for me.

I can now appreciate a lot of watches for their design and the intricacies of their movements (the Max Bill, Pateks, MB&F, JLC and most dressier watches from the big brands), but I don't want to own them. After having tons of Seikos, Citizens and Micros (mostly in my pre-DWC days), I have a better pictures of what I want and as such I now buy less and my watches stick for more time. I like sports watches (38mm to 42mm diameter, maybe bigger if lug to lug is less than 48mm), most of the time on bracelet or natos. I like them with some color (Orange PO, BB58). I also like complications and like a good example of them (Speedy for a chrono, Exp II or GMT-master for a GMT watch, JLC for a mechanical alarm). I do like vintage pieces, but right now prices are crazy for what I like. And with watches like the BB58, Oris 65 diver and the Longines heritage line plus some models from Rado and Hamilton (I'm sure I'm missing some), I can get the vintage feeling and none of the problems. That new Hamilton panda chrono is high on my list.

I fancy a small collection of versatile watches, and from my current line up I can say 3 to 4 are keepers, which I dig because, when I take one of them off and give them to my kids (graduation, wedding, etc), they will have memories of me doing cool stuff with them while wearing "that" watch (you bitches can make fun of these all you want, but that is why I wore my grandfather's pocket watch to my wedding :bird: ). So while I dig vintage watches with history, I prefer newer watches that I will put the history on them.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

smellody
Name: Christopher

Post by smellody » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:14 pm

I will never grow up!!!!!

My watch taste has not evolved since I was 12....

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:24 pm

Oh yeah, I also used to be obsessed with vintage watches. Nowadays, I definitely appreciate them for what they are, but I prefer modern watches. I have enough to stress about in my life, and I've just chosen not to deal with all the worries of vintage watches anymore.

jaw

Post by jaw » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:28 pm

Yes, absolutely.

Some old XMT'ers here might recall I started as a big diver, chrono, arty/unique fan. But projecting forward to potential liver spots lurking under some 47mm monstrosity while gripping my walker just didn't' sit right with me. There was also the issue of service costs on fixed income post retirement. Design nostalgia was also a factor. If I sort my pics by date, I believe the Speedmaster '57 ('97) below started the spiral into what I heard was called "geezer-chic". Smaller case/lug-widths, understated, and classic. Followed by the Tudor Prince Date, Constellation (Vegas Rat Pack), and so on. Still plenty of divers left in the collection, however. Thanks for asking.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:09 am

That blue dial Junghans is cool. I went away from divers for a bit but now back to divers and a Speedmaster. Can't seem to hold onto to a pilot watch-- For some reason they just don't stick. Currently, battling the idea of a dress watch ( JLC Reverso) but can't seem to do it. Just 4 watches in the watch box these days-all between 39-42....no desire for big watches...In the end it will probably be dive watches for me.

smellody
Name: Christopher

Post by smellody » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:32 am

jaw wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:28 pm
Yes, absolutely.

Some old XMT'ers here might recall I started as a big diver, chrono, arty/unique fan. But projecting forward to potential liver spots lurking under some 47mm monstrosity while gripping my walker just didn't' sit right with me. There was also the issue of service costs on fixed income post retirement. Design nostalgia was also a factor. If I sort my pics by date, I believe the Speedmaster '57 ('97) below started the spiral into what I heard was called "geezer-chic". Smaller case/lug-widths, understated, and classic. Followed by the Tudor Prince Date, Constellation (Vegas Rat Pack), and so on. Still plenty of divers left in the collection, however. Thanks for asking.

This is shaping up to be own of the greatest collections in history!

jaw

Post by jaw » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:56 am

smellody wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:32 am

This is shaping up to be own of the greatest collections in history!
Thank you sir. Means a lot given what usually dons your wrist.

gonzomantis
Name: Mike

Post by gonzomantis » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:02 am

"Geezer-chic" :lol: I love it.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:27 pm

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

DEMO

Post by DEMO » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:08 am

I have always been a dive watch / dive chrono fan. I have been for the last 35 years and still am. Only dive watches in the collection, (about 25-30 give or take).

foodle

Post by foodle » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:25 am

Despite having way too many watches, I find myself wearing only a couple in recent months (Daytona + Tuna). They just both have the right mix of comfort and utility for me. But I don't think my tastes in general have changed much over the years of collecting (39-42mm, black dial, dive/pilot).

At this point, I can scan through the WRUW threads and not see anything I'd rather have than what's in my current collection. I still never have had a Speedy and would snap up 3705 in a second, but otherwise I'm pretty satisfied. So I guess that a good place to be :shrug: