Watch taste maturation... has this happened to you?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Bradystraps
Name: Todd

Watch taste maturation... has this happened to you?

Post by Bradystraps » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:34 am

First off, it's maturation... no s or b in the word. ;)

I have always been a dive watch nut. Pretty much all I have worn over the past 20 or so years. But recently, my taste seems to be changing and expanding. Perhaps as I get older, my selection in watch styles, complications etc. are maturing a bit. I'm sure this is normal and has happened to many of you as well. Recently, the vintage bug has bitten and I am currently trying like hell to get used to a 35mm Longines. It's been challenging but I want to give it a fair shot and not bail too early. I actually love the watch and feel it definitely has a place in my collection. Even if I only wear it with suits, to formal parties, whatever.

So when did this happen to you, if it has? Did you find it stuck or was just a phase you went through?

Lastly, this beauty just hit my radar and exemplifies what I am currently going through. I probably would have never looked twice at it 5 or so years ago but now I want it! :grin:

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Re: Watch taste maturation... has this happened to you?

Post by rockmastermike » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:45 am

I think I have moved on from large watches 43/44/45
I move through seasons of modern/vintage/complications and will again but no matter the category I find I enjoy a “mature” size these days.

*disclaimer: keeping my 45mm turtle - can’t go wrong with that one

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:59 am

I've "matured" in a different direction.

After some Rolex experimentation, I realized that I prefer watches that cost much less, especially since
I tend to have "too many" watches at any given time.

I've set a rough cap at $3500 for any future additions.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:27 am

Mine has changed from dive watches only to variety in general - brand (Timex, Seiko, Breitling, Zodiac, Halios, Tudor, Rolex and AP), size (34-48), function (diver, gmt, digital chrono, time only), and materials (SS, Ti, bronze).
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:58 am

I do that in waves. Over the last year I have preferred simple three handers that are more dress than sport, but now I’m looking more at divers again.

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:03 am

rockmastermike wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:45 am
I move through seasons of modern/vintage/complications and will again but no matter the category I find I enjoy a “mature” size these days.

Even at 45mm I’m not sure the NAFT falls into that category of big watch which is definitely due to the case design and short lugs. I tend to prefer watches in the 40mm range and love the fit of it.

hobbit712
Name: Steve

Post by hobbit712 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:03 am

I have pretty much been all over the board for most of my collecting. If I like it I wear it. I don't think I as picky as some.
https://watchidiotsavants3.godaddysites.com/
instagram @watchidiotsavants

Chase after the dream, don't chase after the money

stonehead887
Name: Jeremy

Post by stonehead887 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:10 am

My tastes have changed to looking for more unusual or different design features, be the whole watch or individual elements. I now take a lot more time in deciding to buy a watch and once I have seen a potential new watch, I 'park it' and work out if there are design elements I can or cannot live with or without. The main thing is now date windows. I am not anti date window but it's got to be right.
There are some exceptions where the whole outweighs any minor niggles such as the new Rado Captain Cook 37mm, love at first sight and will be on the purchase list when back from hols.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

And here it is...Image

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:14 am

Mine have changed in that all I really want these days are Speedmasters.

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:25 am

i don't know if i've been doing this long enough to say "maturation." i think it's more learning what i like. i bought my first automatic watch in 2012. when i was looking then, a lot of things peaked my interest that i wouldn't even consider now. i've definitely ruled out larger watches. i think 40-41 is the sweet spot for me (for most case styles). i can handle a larger case with specific case styles (like the turtle or U1), but it's pushing it for me. even the PO 8500 is at the larger end of what i like.

i've definitely narrowed to simple dials. i don't own a mechanical chrono (or a working quartz chrono, just old broken beaters i should throw away). i prefer no date dials. no PR. center seconds to small seconds (unless on a dress watch). clean lines.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:53 am

I've found I've become a lot more interested in GMTs for whatever reason. I should have bought a Rolex GMT back when they were still affordable, but the ship on that has sailed. I wear my black dialed Explorer II just about exclusively, and the only other watches I own right now are a Seiko SKX009 (because it has the Rolex GMT look even though it's a diver - plus it's tough as hell) and a Timex Ironman for the gym/cycling.

I'd love to get ahold of a polar Explorer II or the Tudor GMT, but even that's a stretch right now. Thinking about giving a Glycine airman another shot.

I've also found that I really need a date and a bracelet. I recently tried a Speedmaster (again) and a Tudor Heritage Ranger (again), but the no date thing just doesn't work for me.

gwells

Post by gwells » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:56 am

good point on the bracelet. i've learned that i'm definitely much more of a bracelet than strap person.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:34 am

gwells wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:56 am
good point on the bracelet. i've learned that i'm definitely much more of a bracelet than strap person.
I've tried all sorts of straps, and the bracelet always wins out for me. Even watches that looks awesome on leather or a Nato in pictures or on someone else's wrist, I put them on and I'm like "meh." :shrug:

Bradystraps
Name: Todd

Post by Bradystraps » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:48 am

Interesting point on the bracelets/straps topic. i have gone the opposite. Used to be I always needed a bracelet. Now, not so much. I look at a watch case, dial and determine if I feel it looks good with a bracelet and go from there. I feel any watch can work with straps, but some can't work on a bracelet.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:59 am

I've been a diver / sports watch enthusiast since pretty much forever. I prefer watches around 40 - 42mm in size, but I make exceptions. The Alpina GMT I bought recently is 44 and wears large due to the light dial color and large dial opening, but I still like it due to its style and jump hour GMT functions. My MM300 is a welcome companion also at 44mm, but I also wear my SLA017 quite a bit which I think is just under 40mm. I guess the numbers are less important than how it looks on my wrist.

I appreciate a mechanical chrono because of the wizardry of the springs and gears. I have one mechanical chrono example, my 38mm Hamilton Khaki Chrono, which I am actually wearing today. I think it is academically interesting, but I'm not on the hunt for another chrono because I've come to the realization that a rotating bezel is really all the timing functionality I need.

I guess my one consistent yardstick across all my years of being interested in watches is I like a watch to be rugged enough to go anywhere and do anything I do. If I can't wear it surfing or skiing, or hauling lobster traps, etc., then it really doesn't hold my interest.

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:33 am

Torrid wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:03 am
rockmastermike wrote:

Even at 45mm I’m not sure the NAFT falls into that category of big watch which is definitely due to the case design and short lugs. I tend to prefer watches in the 40mm range and love the fit of it.
Very true

BlueSky
Name: David

Post by BlueSky » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:40 am

My watch knowledge has matured since I joined the forum, but I don't think my taste has changed. I think I would like or dislike the same watches from Rolex, for example, now or twenty years ago.

My smallish wrists seem to be overpowered by a bracelet, even though I like the look.

gwells

Post by gwells » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:51 am

rockmastermike wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:33 am
Torrid wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:03 am
rockmastermike wrote:

Very true
yup, the NAFT and UI in my collection are at the outskirts of what i will wear size-wise. and the NAFT wears slimmer. i have a magrette with similar lug shape, but it just sits too tall on my wrist and it needs to get moved on.

smalls
Name: Matt

Post by smalls » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:33 am

I tend to work within the same wheelhouse which is why I buy the same watches over and over. I stick towards divers and tool watches in the 38-42 range. Your Subs, SKX’s, Turtles, diver 65’s, and Tunas I could roll with all day long.

Lately I’ve started to expand my horizons a bit and look outside my “comfort zone” which is how I ended up with the blingy (for me) blnr. I’m just on the constant hunt for that perfect 4-5 watch rotation. Haven’t found it yet.

CarloDWC
Name: Carlo

Post by CarloDWC » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:05 pm

I don't know about maturation but change certainly happens. You see it all the time with people buying and then selling their watches... if they liked it and then sell it obviously something changed, usually the taste changes on myself and I find liking bigger, smaller, thicker, thinner, different colors watches... :shrug:

But I think it is a good thing, it gives one a new game, get a new grail or just another watch that is new or better in one's opinion... :grin: :thumbsup:

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:42 pm

I don't chase "vintage" anymore. I'd rather have something new-ish that runs right and keeps good time.

RALAustin
Name: Rob

Post by RALAustin » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:49 pm

Maturation???? Still divers, divers, more divers and a couple sport watches that look a lot like divers (GMTIIC, Daytona, Nautilus and Aquanaut TT), but the average cost of watches in the collection has definitely increased (way too much :banghead: ) while the breathe of brands has definitely narrowed (just Patek, AP, Rolex, Blancpain, Doxa and one Seiko (for sale) at the moment ... plus one guilty pleasure brass Helson diver and a couple G Shocks).

I guess I am a bit more open to something like the Journe blue or a nice Lange, but have not been able to pull a trigger and not really in the market right now.

5661nicholas
Name: nick

Post by 5661nicholas » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:00 pm

Great question, and the more I think about it they really have not. When I first got into watches, 8-10 years ago, tge MM300 and 2254 were the watches that really caught my eye. Through that time I have owned many watches, all flipped.......except 2, the 2 I mention. While I have owned 4 MM300's, and am on my secind Seamaster, they are still the 2 I am drawn to the most.

At this point, other watches certainly catch my attention, but due to budget, and having tried so many watches, I know what works and won't work, Ive taken a break on buying. I feel confident I will go through the next couple years just hanging onto these 2. Pics for the hell of it....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

poppydog
aka Nelldog
Name: Steve

Post by poppydog » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:48 pm

Aside from my chronological age, I don't think "mature" relates to anything about me (according to my wife)! :lol:

In terms of watches, it's always been divers, and that's all I currently own, although I have been looking around at versions of pilot-type designs, but nothing yet certain.
Regards

Steve

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:27 am

stonehead887 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:10 am

And here it is...Image
:thatshot:
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM