F2F Transaction Issues?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
outtatime
Name: Jon

F2F Transaction Issues?

Post by outtatime » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:20 am

I have someone who's interested in doing a F2F transaction for one of my watches. I've only done a couple of these in my many years of buying and selling, and both times I was the buyer. He was wanting to pay cash or certified check. What are the possible ways I can get screwed here?

I really wouldn't be keen on the check, but for cash, other than him literally bringing me a stack of counterfeit 100's, is there any other risk?
Current
Alpina Extreme Diver 300 | Benarus Ti47 | Breitling Avenger Seawolf | Eterna KonTiki Super 1973 | Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic | Hamilton Pan Europ | IWC Aquatimer 2000 | Korsbek Oceaneer | Linde Werdelin The One 2.6 | Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre | Omega Seamaster 300 Titanium | Omega Seamaster 2531.80 | Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow | Panerai 005 | Rolex Deepsea | Steinhart Nav-B 6497 | Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military | Stowa Seatime | Zenith El Primero Stratos

Incoming

Considering
PAM 422 | AP Royal Oak 15400 Silver | Rolex Explorer II 42mm Polar | Omega PO 8500 XL

Sometimes it's easier just to watch

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Re: F2F Transaction Issues?

Post by matt.wu » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:22 am

Yeah, there's the risk of you getting robbed.
:htfu:

outtatime
Name: Jon

Post by outtatime » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:24 am

matt.wu wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:22 am
Yeah, there's the risk of you getting robbed.
Well, yeah, but one of the police precincts here is a designated "safe Internet transaction" zone, so I was planning on meeting there.

Although to be fair, I've done a lot shadier Craigslist transactions that I somehow made it out of. :)
Current
Alpina Extreme Diver 300 | Benarus Ti47 | Breitling Avenger Seawolf | Eterna KonTiki Super 1973 | Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic | Hamilton Pan Europ | IWC Aquatimer 2000 | Korsbek Oceaneer | Linde Werdelin The One 2.6 | Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre | Omega Seamaster 300 Titanium | Omega Seamaster 2531.80 | Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow | Panerai 005 | Rolex Deepsea | Steinhart Nav-B 6497 | Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military | Stowa Seatime | Zenith El Primero Stratos

Incoming

Considering
PAM 422 | AP Royal Oak 15400 Silver | Rolex Explorer II 42mm Polar | Omega PO 8500 XL

Sometimes it's easier just to watch

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:02 am

I prefer to to any FTF deal at a bank, mine of theirs. I tell them it’s for both our safety. Also ask them to withdraw the money while at the bank, to assure it’s not counterfeit. If my bank and they bring cash, I tell them I’ll deposit to ensure it’s legit. No offense, just safe.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:26 am

I've done lots of F2F transactions. If you choose to meet in a very public place (eg. a Starbucks) during daylight hours then I think your chances of being robbed are fairly slim. It wouldn't hurt to bring along a friend just in case, though. I'd accept cash only.

zepp21
Name: Alex

Post by zepp21 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:49 am

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:48 am

Even meeting in a secure location, they can "change their mind" when they see the watch and then follow you or rob you outside. If you are meeting, meet at your bank, tell them to bring cash and you will get there early to get it out of the safe deposit box. That way if they at least think it's going back in the box if not sold and the cash is going into the account before you leave.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:10 pm

hoppyjr wrote:I prefer to to any FTF deal at a bank, mine of theirs. I tell them it’s for both our safety. Also ask them to withdraw the money while at the bank, to assure it’s not counterfeit. If my bank and they bring cash, I tell them I’ll deposit to ensure it’s legit. No offense, just safe.
This is what I do.

tmw
Name: The Enabler

Post by tmw » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:32 pm

Personally, this is hand delivery.

Save shipping cost, at a potential inconvenience to you to drive somewhere.

Make them pay first. This isn't a personal service try on and decide, and then re-haggle. Oops. I only was able to get this much, will you take that...even though the deal was for another higher price.

Unless I know you personally (or from DWC BoD)....You Pay, I ship. YPIS.
Stan, don’t you know the first law of physics? Anything that’s fun costs at least eight dollars”
-- Eric Cartman

“To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Sandman

I bought a cheap watch from a crazy man
Floating down canal
It doesn't use numbers or moving hands
It always just says now
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And If I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On

- Jimmy Buffett

blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Post by blkgsl » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:45 pm

I do the bank thing too, but as I get older, I have less patience for flaking and typically won't meet someone unless there are known common acquaintances. To Todd's point, I've had two people try to re-negotiate in-person...it's rare but it can happen.

tmw

Post by tmw » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:50 pm

The bank thing just sounds like too much work. For what reward? Saving shipping?

Again, I know you, I go out of the way for you. I don't, well then this is the way it is going to go. There are other buyers.
Stan, don’t you know the first law of physics? Anything that’s fun costs at least eight dollars”
-- Eric Cartman

“To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due.”

Floating down canal
It always just says now

- Jimmy Buffett

blkgsl
Herro!!!

Post by blkgsl » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:28 pm

tmw wrote:The bank thing just sounds like too much work. For what reward? Saving shipping?

Again, I know you, I go out of the way for you. I don't, well then this is the way it is going to go. There are other buyers.
I like the idea of closure right then and there with cash handed over. No horse shit with post-sale support, charge backs, fraudulent wire risk. I won’t go notably out of my way for it, but if I’m swinging by to do a deal on my way to the gym, I’m all good with it.

1watchaholic
Name: Gary

Post by 1watchaholic » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:12 pm

blkgsl wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:28 pm
tmw wrote:The bank thing just sounds like too much work. For what reward? Saving shipping?

I like the idea of closure right then and there with cash handed over. No horse shit with post-sale support, charge backs, fraudulent wire risk. I won’t go notably out of my way for it, but if I’m swinging by to do a deal on my way to the gym, I’m all good with it.
I've done plenty of FTF deals with Zack and he's never pulled a gun on me...yet! :lol:
Among Addictions…None is like the "Watchaholic" - Gary

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:14 pm

blkgsl wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:45 pm
I do the bank thing too, but as I get older, I have less patience for flaking and typically won't meet someone unless there are known common acquaintances. To Todd's point, I've had two people try to re-negotiate in-person...it's rare but it can happen.
Yeah good point that I forgot to mention, I ALWAYS preface my F2F meetings by telling them up front that price is fixed and there will be no in-person negotiating.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:16 pm

1watchaholic wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:12 pm
blkgsl wrote:

I've done plenty of FTF deals with Zack and he's never pulled a gun on me...yet! :lol:
Just FYI - that's not a gun in his pocket! :gayumbrella:
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

tmw

Post by tmw » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:17 pm

I’m waiting for...

“I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.”

“My atm only allowed me to take out $400.00”

“I can’t make it to the location you suggested as it’s too far and I have to pick up my kids. Can you come to me?”

I do see zacks point if it gets it all out of the way. And cash is king. I wouldn’t mess with Zack after he just benched 500 lbs, squatted all the Panerai sales reps and was looking buff.
-- Eric Cartman

Floating down canal
It always just says now

- Jimmy Buffett

ItnStln

Post by ItnStln » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:56 pm

I’ve done several FTF transactions as a buyer and seller. For each one I had someone with me and we were both carrying a gun.

Bradystraps
Name: Todd

Post by Bradystraps » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:05 pm

I guess I'm against the grain on this one and prefer to not do F2F transactions. I think the standard email communication and Paypal/Bank wire format is safe and secure. You just never know who is out there and the information they can get from simply meeting you (car make/model, license plate number, address etc.) is just not something I care fro strangers to know about me and my family.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:03 pm

BacoNoir wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:16 pm
1watchaholic wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:12 pm
blkgsl wrote:

Just FYI - that's not a gun in his pocket! :gayumbrella:
He is asian, so you know there is no "gun" in his pocket. :headbang:

blkgsl
Herro!!!

Post by blkgsl » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:35 pm

That's why I wear APs and drive Ferraris. I am Asian and need to make up for the deficiency.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:37 pm

blkgsl wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:35 pm
That's why I wear APs and drive Ferraris. I am Asian and need to make up for the deficiency.
shit I need an ap and a prancing horse then :crybaby:

how do I join?

blkgsl
Herro!!!

Post by blkgsl » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:47 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:37 pm
blkgsl wrote:

how do I join?
Become Asian.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:52 pm

blkgsl wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:47 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:37 pm
blkgsl wrote:

how do I join?
Become Asian.
i am working on it :cheers:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:58 pm

Are you comfortable with walking out of Starbucks and the buyers buddies know you have $xxx cash in your pocket? Paranoid me is thinking you could be getting set up for a mugging.
The Hapa

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:20 pm

I sold a PO once F2F. Met the guy at a Starbucks. Had him PayPal me the money while there and checked my account to confirm legit and all was good. Suppose a lot could have gone wrong, but I was naive.