Cheap Nautilus and Royal Oak Knock-Offs

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Cheap Nautilus and Royal Oak Knock-Offs

Post by logan2z » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:25 am

BS Nautilus indeed, A flagrant rip-off of another company's IP. I'm not sure what is the bigger joke - that the makers of these watches are seemingly getting away with this or that this 'reviewer' spent 20+ minutes seriously discussing these watches in detail.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Re: Cheap Nautilus and Royal Oak Knock-Offs

Post by JBZ » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:36 am

I'm bummed that the cases look pretty good, at least from the videos. Even the bracelets look good. No wonder it's getting harder to spot counterfeits these days.

R@cerx
Name: David

Post by R@cerx » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:28 pm

They have no shame.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:44 pm

I’d never wear one but I guess it’s not much different than the 100 Sub knockoffs out there.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Post by blkgsl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:09 pm

Lmao

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:05 am

I might test drive one for a bit before liquidating my entire collection for that one exit watch. Would suck if you flipped everything and didn’t end up liking how the watch wore over and extended period.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:19 am

sierra11b wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:05 am
I might test drive one for a bit before liquidating my entire collection for that one exit watch. Would suck if you flipped everything and didn’t end up liking how the watch wore over and extended period.
At least try something worthy, like a Pelton. :cheers:

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:06 am

I can’t wear or own a fake anything. I’d prefer a real Seiko to a fake Patek.

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:57 pm

Seppia wrote:I don't know.
The originals and these terrible ripoffs exist in words so far apart I'm not sure there is a real damage done to AP or Patek.

What makes me furious is the sharkey shitty copies of seiko tunas: a $300 copy of a $800 watch. Seiko is losing real sales to those pieces of crap.

But these?
Can you picture Patek's target consumer saying to himself
"hmmmm, I could buy this $40000 nautilus but I'll buy this $200 Chinese ripoff with a name that sounds like Homer Simpson's favorite outdoor activity instead. Sounds like a plan!"?

I can't.

They are completely tasteless POS for tasteless people, but I don't think they do any actual damage
^^^ yes
The Hapa

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:34 pm

well if Bagelsport isnt your vibe than how bout the Astromaster?

Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

amckiwi
Name: Stu

Post by amckiwi » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:42 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:06 am
What is your view on breast implants?

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:54 pm

amckiwi wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:

Mine are real.

Bradystraps
Name: Todd

Post by Bradystraps » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:11 pm

NOOB factory continues to get better and better with their products. Unfortunately. :rolleyes:
Some of these watches are so close to the OEM that the only way to tell is to take the case back off and inspect the movement. Scary.

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:15 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
amckiwi wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:

Mine are real.
Your implants are real, not some cheap Chinese ripoff?

Blah blah smrt phone

We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:14 pm

Seppia wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:01 pm
I don't know.
The originals and these terrible ripoffs exist in words so far apart I'm not sure there is a real damage done to AP or Patek.

What makes me furious is the sharkey shitty copies of seiko tunas: a $300 copy of a $800 watch. Seiko is losing real sales to those pieces of crap.

But these?
"hmmmm, I could buy this $40000 nautilus but I'll buy this $200 Chinese ripoff with a name that sounds like Homer Simpson's favorite outdoor activity instead. Sounds like a plan!"?

I can't.

They are completely tasteless POS for tasteless people, but I don't think they do any actual damage
I don't think the issue is about buyer's cross-shopping AP and a $70 knock-off and eating into AP's profits. To my mind at least, the issue is the flagrant use of someone else's intellectual property in order to make a buck - without ever needing to invest a dime in design, R&D or patent protection.

As others have also pointed out, it should scare the bejesus out of watch collectors that these companies can come up with such convincing looking fakes of luxury watches. These guys (or the people they sell to) are a solid case back and a logo away from duping unsuspecting watch collectors into paying big bucks for garbage.

goaliechris
Name: Chris

Post by goaliechris » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:17 pm

hoppyjr wrote:I can’t wear or own a fake anything. I’d prefer a real Seiko to a fake Patek.
Exactly how I feel. I intensely dislike any homage or blatant copy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:14 am

logan2z wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:14 pm
Seppia wrote:
I don't know.

But these?

I can't.

I don't think the issue is about buyer's cross-shopping AP and a $70 knock-off and eating into AP's profits. To my mind at least, the issue is the flagrant use of someone else's intellectual property in order to make a buck - without ever needing to invest a dime in design, R&D or patent protection.

As others have also pointed out, it should scare the bejesus out of watch collectors that these companies can come up with such convincing looking fakes of luxury watches. These guys (or the people they sell to) are a solid case back and a logo away from duping unsuspecting watch collectors into paying big bucks for garbage.
Exactly this. I assume the reason AP, Patek, Rolex, et al. don't go after all of these homage companies is that it just isn't worth their time and resources, and differing IP laws may make it a pointless exercise. Plus, the market segment that the luxury companies are going after is completely different from the one that the homage companies are targeting.

But I will bet that whoever supplied the cases, bracelets, dials, and movements for these homages also supplies them for out and out fakes. At least from the video, the cases and bracelets look very good. The dials and movements less so, but I see the potential for people getting ripped off, especially people who don't spend every waking hour on the watch forums.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:32 am

logan2z wrote:
Seppia wrote:
I don't know.

But these?

I can't.

+1000

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:47 am

jeckyll wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
amckiwi wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:

Mine are real.

Blah blah smrt phone
These are all natural. I believe you knew that. ;-)

Axelay2003
Name: Gerard

Post by Axelay2003 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:24 pm

jeckyll wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:15 pm
hoppyjr wrote:
amckiwi wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:

Mine are real.

Blah blah smrt phone
A Chinese plastic surgeon inserted them.
It's a beautiful world! Gerald.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:45 am

Axelay2003 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:24 pm
jeckyll wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
amckiwi wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:

Mine are real.

Blah blah smrt phone
Silicone balance wheel?

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:09 am

dnslater wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:45 am
Axelay2003 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:24 pm
jeckyll wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
amckiwi wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:

Mine are real.

Blah blah smrt phone
Silicone balance wheel?
He's mostly unbalanced, so probably not :gayumbrella:
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:25 am

JBZ wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:14 am
logan2z wrote:
Seppia wrote:
I don't know.

But these?

I can't.

Exactly this. I assume the reason AP, Patek, Rolex, et al. don't go after all of these homage companies is that it just isn't worth their time and resources, and differing IP laws may make it a pointless exercise. Plus, the market segment that the luxury companies are going after is completely different from the one that the homage companies are targeting.

But I will bet that whoever supplied the cases, bracelets, dials, and movements for these homages also supplies them for out and out fakes. At least from the video, the cases and bracelets look very good. The dials and movements less so, but I see the potential for people getting ripped off, especially people who don't spend every waking hour on the watch forums.
Agreed with this a 100%. Some people defend sterile dial fakes and refuse to call them fakes. It doesn't matter that every dollar you spend on them goes to the same factories making fakes. How many times can I say fakes, lol