The Grey Nato has moved to Hodinkee

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:21 pm

Maybe not a bad move. They will definitely get some more press out of it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ruggs
Name: Andrew

Re: The Grey Nato has moved to Hodinkee

Post by Ruggs » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:08 pm

They both write a bunch of hodinkee articles already. Hopefully they made some dough off this.

TRUE LIBERTY

Post by TRUE LIBERTY » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:38 am

Tried to get my wife to listen to them on a 4 hour trip to Miami. I think she was about to jump from a moving vehicle she thought they were so boring. I find them pretty interesting for the wide range of topics but the wife loves Watch and Listen after I played a episode with that crazy Cuban guy guest starring.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:02 am

TRUE LIBERTY wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:38 am
Tried to get my wife to listen to them on a 4 hour trip to Miami. I think she was about to jump from a moving vehicle she thought they were so boring. I find them pretty interesting for the wide range of topics but the wife loves Watch and Listen after I played a episode with that crazy Cuban guy guest starring.
I enjoy the podcast, but they can get a little dry. Sometimes I skip forward when James goes into his 4th or 5th minute detailing the nuance of a new camera lens or shoulder bag.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:51 am

dnslater wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:02 am
TRUE LIBERTY wrote:
I enjoy the podcast, but they can get a little dry. Sometimes I skip forward when James goes into his 4th or 5th minute detailing the nuance of a new camera lens or shoulder bag.
This week was particularly bad in that regard. I like that they talk about more than watches, but he must have talked about vintage camera lenses(!) for 10 minutes.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:04 am

Yep, pretty good but cat get boring with the vintage camera gear (that's one hobby I don't understand).

Regarding Watch and Listen, Matt is great, I really like the Smoking Tire podcast, but the watch podcast is not working for me... He tries to come up as a expert and he's just not there. The episodes with the chef were awesome because of the chef. Matt should try to do more interviews, even with people from Instagram.

Is the On Time podcast still alive? Their first episodes were great, but the last ones sucked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

ds760476
Name: Devon

Post by ds760476 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:58 am

dnslater wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:02 am
TRUE LIBERTY wrote:
I feel the same way about the fancy car segments (but oddly I love it when they talk about Jason’s Land Rover). I’ve been preferring Time4aPint, lately.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:05 am

Joeprez wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:04 am
Regarding Watch and Listen, Matt is great, I really like the Smoking Tire podcast, but the watch podcast is not working for me... He tries to come up as a expert and he's just not there.
Matt tried to tell on reddit before he started this whole watch podcast that "Grand Seiko was just a Seiko and he would never pay there prices". A few months later he had a GS and he is spouting off all this info like he is there designer. That dude is just way into himself.

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:19 am

Watch and Listen is, well, unlistenable for me. I love TGN. The Worn & Wound podcast doesn't get much buzz, but I've found it really good as well.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:29 am

dukerules wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:19 am
Watch and Listen is, well, unlistenable for me. I love TGN. The Worn & Wound podcast doesn't get much buzz, but I've found it really good as well.
I like the W&W podcast. I still listen to 2 Broke Watch Snobs and TGN.

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:22 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Joeprez wrote:
Regarding Watch and Listen, Matt is great, I really like the Smoking Tire podcast, but the watch podcast is not working for me... He tries to come up as a expert and he's just not there.
Matt tried to tell on reddit before he started this whole watch podcast that "Grand Seiko was just a Seiko and he would never pay there prices". A few months later he had a GS and he is spouting off all this info like he is there designer. That dude is just way into himself.
Yep. One thing I find funny is that he's said a bunch of time that he would like an orange PO, but Spike Ferresten (wrote for Seinfeld, another podcaster which like cars and watches, was interviewed by Hodinkee for a talking watches episode) told him not to buy one, so he hasn't. I believe it was @saborchef (the guest in their history of rolex episode) that basically told him "buy what you like".

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:40 am

Joeprez wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:22 am
toxicavenger wrote:
Joeprez wrote:
Yep. One thing I find funny is that he's said a bunch of time that he would like an orange PO, but Spike Ferresten (wrote for Seinfeld, another podcaster which like cars and watches, was interviewed by Hodinkee for a talking watches episode) told him not to buy one, so he hasn't. I believe it was @saborchef (the guest in their history of rolex episode) that basically told him "buy what you like".

He is a follower for sure. Not a self thinker. :salute:

But I do give him credit, he has done a lot with his podcast in such a small time.

I think he is putting an image out like he is in "the know" on watches right when he is actually in his infancy stage. Hell I have been in this stage for like 10 years now.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:38 pm

I like James and Jason. But I can't imagine I'd find any interest in a watch podcast at all. I've never even tried it.
:htfu:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:41 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:38 pm
I like James and Jason. But I can't imagine I'd find any interest in a watch podcast at all. I've never even tried it.
its like butt sex, u might like it if u try it :mrgreen:

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:46 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
matt.wu wrote:
Hmmmmm.... I mean, when you put it that way, I guess I can keep an open mind
:htfu:

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:40 am

I don’t know how people have time to listen to al of these podcasts. Maybe if I had a longer commute.

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:41 am

I have a daily 2 hours commute, thats the only time when I listen to podcasts.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:07 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:46 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
matt.wu wrote:
Hmmmmm.... I mean, when you put it that way, I guess I can keep an open mind
What time should I stop by? :mrgreen:
JBZ wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:40 am
I don’t know how people have time to listen to al of these podcasts. Maybe if I had a longer commute.
I had a shitty job at Lockheed Martin. So I had a ton of time while doing drawings. :banghead: