Re: In the North of Bali for some deeper dives

Post by bedlam » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:35 pm

jeckyll wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:51 am
bedlam wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:20 am
jeckyll wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:31 am
Awesome photos. 75 meters is getting there. What was your deco obligation and were you diving wrecks or walls?
The 75 was to recover a lost camera from a previous dive. We found it pretty quickly and had nothing to hang around for so the deco was tame (profile below). It was on a wall.

Using 17/35 trimix bottom gas, 32% nitrox, 50% O2 deco gas
Got it. Always nice to 'trail off' and get out fresh. I didn't see your buddy with 2 slung tanks in the photo, did you hang one?
Yeah, the pic is deceptive. He has an S80 with nitrox hiding behind his body...must just be on the right angle to not be visible.

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:41 pm

dinexus wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:21 pm
So rad! Diving near Ahmed? Also, what's your camera setup for those macros? Great stuff!
We were north of Ahmed, but we did pop down there to do what ended up being a drift dive with strong current on the day.

Camera is a Panasonic LX100 (also released as the Leica D-Lux Typ 109). Both have the same Leica lenses and are really the same camera with some slight differences in body shape. I'm running a Nauticam housing with 2x Sea&Sea YS-1 strobes.

The LX is just amazing in-close and in low light. The shots are with the stock lens. You can fit additional macro lenses to the lens port on the housing but didn't need it.

Skinny Rogers
Name: Lance

Post by Skinny Rogers » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:07 pm

Man I love these threads.

Killer shots.

Thank you for taking the time to share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sniper13
Name: Justin

Post by Sniper13 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:12 pm

Stunning shots! I need to get back into the water. Thanks for sharing.

bedlam

Post by bedlam » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:36 pm

BacoNoir wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:38 pm
Awesome! We spent 10 days at Wakatobi dive resort not too far from Bali for our honeymoon. Your photos bring back some great memories. Great reef life in that area. Are the lionfish becoming a problem there?
There are a few but I don't get the sense they are in plague proportions. We get them here in Oz too, but the numbers ahave dropped off a lot the last 2 yrs. No idea why, maybe something has learned to eat them.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:45 pm

jtbenson wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:52 am
these are far and away my favorite threads, thanks so much for posting Carl :cheers:
Agree! Fascinating

My diving adventures are rarely as colorful ;)
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:09 pm

Awesome shots! Thanks for sharing.

Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

snootydog
Jagermaster
Name: Andy

Post by snootydog » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:39 pm

Great pics as always :thumbsup:
Andy :uj:

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:28 pm

The ocean is a such a bizarre place. Awesome.
:htfu:

dinexus
Name: Zach

Post by dinexus » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:39 pm

bedlam wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:41 pm
dinexus wrote:
So rad! Diving near Ahmed? Also, what's your camera setup for those macros? Great stuff!
We were north of Ahmed, but we did pop down there to do what ended up being a drift dive with strong current on the day.

Camera is a Panasonic LX100 (also released as the Leica D-Lux Typ 109). Both have the same Leica lenses and are really the same camera with some slight differences in body shape. I'm running a Nauticam housing with 2x Sea&Sea YS-1 strobes.

The LX is just amazing in-close and in low light. The shots are with the stock lens. You can fit additional macro lenses to the lens port on the housing but didn't need it.
So rad – thanks for the response. I'm definitely hot for a new point-and-shoot for underwater stuff, and had been leaning towards a Sony RX100, but your LX looks amazing.

hobbit712
Name: Steve

Post by hobbit712 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:22 am

Pretty amazing. I'm not sure I would like to be that close to that Moray Eel. Flashback to the The Deep when I was a kid. Pretty sure there was a scene in the movie where one eats someones head if memory serves. :scratch:
https://watchidiotsavants3.godaddysites.com/
instagram @watchidiotsavants

Chase after the dream, don't chase after the money

Erratic101
Name: Justyn

Post by Erratic101 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:47 am

Amazing pictures! And thanks for finding Nemo.

bedlam

Post by bedlam » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:06 am

dinexus wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:39 pm
bedlam wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:41 pm
dinexus wrote:

So rad – thanks for the response. I'm definitely hot for a new point-and-shoot for underwater stuff, and had been leaning towards a Sony RX100, but your LX looks amazing.
The Sony is a really good camera, you won't go wrong with either.

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:01 am

Oh man, also just love this Carl ! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Amazing as always !!! :salute: ..Thank you !

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:25 am

hobbit712 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:22 am
Pretty amazing. I'm not sure I would like to be that close to that Moray Eel. Flashback to the The Deep when I was a kid. Pretty sure there was a scene in the movie where one eats someones head if memory serves. :scratch:
Moray's are pretty chill at least from my experience. They did come out of their holes a bit when I was trying to photograph them and I assume that's being territorial, but I never had one get aggressive with me and I'd be within 3-5 feet of them with the camera.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

Nellipj
Name: Patrick

Post by Nellipj » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:20 am

BacoNoir wrote:
hobbit712 wrote:
Moray's are pretty chill at least from my experience. They did come out of their holes a bit when I was trying to photograph them and I assume that's being territorial, but I never had one get aggressive with me and I'd be within 3-5 feet of them with the camera.
We were on a dive in Wakatobi and had a 8 ft Moray come out to great us. It proceeded to wrap around my Buddy’s leg and chest before swimming off. I was laughing so hard I almost spit out my regulator. He was understandably not amused Image

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:46 am

Nellipj wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:20 am
BacoNoir wrote:
hobbit712 wrote:
We were on a dive in Wakatobi and had a 8 ft Moray come out to great us. It proceeded to wrap around my Buddy’s leg and chest before swimming off. I was laughing so hard I almost spit out my regulator. He was understandably not amused Image

I would have shit my pants if that happened.

Great pics Carl. Diving is not my favorite sport. So I am glad you are hear to share some of the pics. :thumbsup:

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:11 pm

Nellipj wrote:
BacoNoir wrote:
hobbit712 wrote:

That's awesome. We were watching a moray fight a tevali (sp?) on a reef in Hawaii, it was definitely not chill :D
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

Nellipj
Name: Patrick

Post by Nellipj » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:41 pm

jeckyll wrote:
Nellipj wrote:
BacoNoir wrote:
hobbit712 wrote:

That's awesome. We were watching a moray fight a tevali (sp?) on a reef in Hawaii, it was definitely not chill :D
They are mean suckers when they want to be. Watching them rip apart a Lionfish is a sight to see. Talk about fast!