Another PayPal Nightmare (on WUS)

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
User avatar
mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama
Posts: 13521
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:53 pm

Another PayPal Nightmare (on WUS)

Post by mattcantwin » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:31 am

I got a pm on WUS from a member I've dealt with before.

He was looking for support in a thread started by a disgruntled buyer.

Long story short, buyer had an issue with the watch he purchased, felt he got no satisfaction from seller and initiated
and won a PayPal dispute. The buyer may have a valid case with the seller, if he is telling the truth.

Nothing unusual, except for the fact that the buyer got a refund and is now refusing to return the watch to the seller.


Lots to read through if anyone is interested.


https://forums.watchuseek.com/f63/rlewi ... 355-2.html
Image

User avatar
tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Posts: 4474
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:03 pm
Name: Don

Another PayPal Nightmare (on WUS)

Post by tattoo chef » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:48 am

There is a thread about this already

More paypal drama - how is this not thievery?
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User avatar
mellonb1
Posts: 3521
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:54 pm
Name: Brian
Location: Texas

Re: Another PayPal Nightmare (on WUS)

Post by mellonb1 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:02 am

Richard reached out to me too. I've dealt with him several times buying and selling watches. Always a pleasant experience. Not sure that I agree how he handled the transaction but the buyer is totally in the wrong thinking he has the right to keep the Sinn after he was reimbursed by PayPal. I would never do a transaction with the buyer. He's a thief in my book.

User avatar
abuemily
Posts: 425
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:08 am
Name: Michael
Location: God's Country

Re: Another PayPal Nightmare (on WUS)

Post by abuemily » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:33 am

Another entitled buyer. He has absolutely no legal or moral leg to stand on. Seller didn’t handle
It well, but there is no doubt he should get the watch back.

I have a couple watches I was contemplating selling, but I think my WUS days are done.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Posts: 9370
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:03 am
Name: Jeff

Re: Another PayPal Nightmare (on WUS)

Post by JBZ » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:53 am

It absolutely floors me that the buyer somehow thinks he's entitled to keep the watch now that he's been refunded. You don't get to steal something from someone just because you think they were mean to you.
Image

User avatar
mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama
Posts: 13521
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: Another PayPal Nightmare (on WUS)

Post by mattcantwin » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:42 am

tattoo chef wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:48 am
There is a thread about this already

More paypal drama - how is this not thievery?
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t
Sorry, didn't see that.
Image

User avatar
Torrid
Posts: 5579
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:43 am
Name: Heath
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Another PayPal Nightmare (on WUS)

Post by Torrid » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:49 am

Yep PayPal only here from now on. Way too many bad stories elsewhere.

shaneotool
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 1:57 pm
Name: Paul
Location: Arkansas

Re: Another PayPal Nightmare (on WUS)

Post by shaneotool » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:01 am

I've got about a half dozen watches I need to sell - all these horror stories are making me drag my feet..

User avatar
KidKeith
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:45 am
Name: KidKeith
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Another PayPal Nightmare (on WUS)

Post by KidKeith » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:18 pm

How does anyone think it would be ok to keep the watch in that situation?

Some people are just crazy. You get called a name in an email so it's ok to steal $1700 from someone? Lol. Ok. These people aren't from my neighborhood lol.
Image

User avatar
Torrid
Posts: 5579
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:43 am
Name: Heath
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Another PayPal Nightmare (on WUS)

Post by Torrid » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:20 pm

shaneotool wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:01 am
I've got about a half dozen watches I need to sell - all these horror stories are making me drag my feet..
I’d just list them here.

Mr_Pacman
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:12 pm
Name: James
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Re: Another PayPal Nightmare (on WUS)

Post by Mr_Pacman » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:04 pm

shaneotool wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:01 am
I've got about a half dozen watches I need to sell - all these horror stories are making me drag my feet..
Any chance one of them is a Speedy Pro?

User avatar
TRUE LIBERTY
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 12:53 am

Re: Another PayPal Nightmare (on WUS)

Post by TRUE LIBERTY » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:09 am

So happy I just buy new only and never sell and never used except for one 6309 I bought used from a legimate store in 2002. It takes the stress away from the hobby and makes it more fun.

outtatime
Posts: 1618
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:42 pm
Name: Jon
Location: Ohio

Re: Another PayPal Nightmare (on WUS)

Post by outtatime » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:56 am

I’ve had a ton of people on WUS and TRF offer me Paypal for the stuff I have for sale now. The only way I’d entertain it is if it’s someone who’s been around forever or I’ve worked with before.
Current
Alpina Extreme Diver 300 | Benarus Ti47 | Breitling Avenger Seawolf | Eterna KonTiki Super 1973 | Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic | Hamilton Pan Europ | IWC Aquatimer 2000 | Korsbek Oceaneer | Linde Werdelin The One 2.6 | Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre | Omega Seamaster 300 Titanium | Omega Seamaster 2531.80 | Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow | Panerai 005 | Rolex Deepsea | Steinhart Nav-B 6497 | Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military | Stowa Seatime | Zenith El Primero Stratos

Incoming


Considering
PAM 422 | AP Royal Oak 15400 Silver | Rolex Explorer II 42mm Polar | Omega PO 8500 XL


Sometimes it's easier just to watch

Abmw
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:32 pm

Re: Another PayPal Nightmare (on WUS)

Post by Abmw » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:01 pm

I've bought from Richard before with no issues. I really would have second thoughts using Paypal to accept payments. As a buyer its great. I guess its wire or money order to be safe or can you screwed over by those payment type as well?
"My balls was hot" - Derrick Lewis

ncstate1201
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:20 pm
Name: Geoff B
Location: Cary, NC

Re: Another PayPal Nightmare (on WUS)

Post by ncstate1201 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:00 am

Ages ago someone sent me a fake money order, but bank of course caught it, so be careful with that too

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Image

User avatar
flyskate
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:06 pm
Name: Stephen

Re: Another PayPal Nightmare (on WUS)

Post by flyskate » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:24 pm

Only selling or buying here!
Stephen

User avatar
dinexus
Posts: 799
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:22 pm
Name: Zach

Re: Another PayPal Nightmare (on WUS)

Post by dinexus » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:34 pm

Mods just closed the thread. Guess they couldn't take the shitshow either. Still unresolved by the last page as well too, which is a bummer for sure.

User avatar
Ryeguy
Posts: 2954
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:03 pm
Name: Chris
Location: Rye

Re: Another PayPal Nightmare (on WUS)

Post by Ryeguy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:17 pm

dinexus wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:34 pm
Mods just closed the thread. Guess they couldn't take the shitshow either. Still unresolved by the last page as well too, which is a bummer for sure.
The thread is back open.

It seems the idiot buyer just returned the watch. Richard should have it Monday.

I wonder what condition it'll be in? Anyone want to bet it'll be worse than when originally sent?

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 41548
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Another PayPal Nightmare (on WUS)

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:30 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:17 pm
dinexus wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:34 pm
Mods just closed the thread. Guess they couldn't take the shitshow either. Still unresolved by the last page as well too, which is a bummer for sure.
The thread is back open.

It seems the idiot buyer just returned the watch. Richard should have it Monday.

I wonder what condition it'll be in? Anyone want to bet it'll be worse than when originally sent?
I don't know but I don't understand how the seller couldn't have notice the hands hitting :shrug:

User avatar
BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Posts: 24143
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:01 pm
Name: Vladimir Makarov
Location: Ohio

Re: Another PayPal Nightmare (on WUS)

Post by BBK357 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:48 pm

It was both of their fault. That hand issue had to be seen unless the dude is blind.
It was a big inconvenience but the buyer can’t just keep the watch... horrible on both sides.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

User avatar
Ryeguy
Posts: 2954
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:03 pm
Name: Chris
Location: Rye

Re: Another PayPal Nightmare (on WUS)

Post by Ryeguy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:24 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:30 pm
Ryeguy wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:17 pm
dinexus wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:34 pm
Mods just closed the thread. Guess they couldn't take the shitshow either. Still unresolved by the last page as well too, which is a bummer for sure.
The thread is back open.

It seems the idiot buyer just returned the watch. Richard should have it Monday.

I wonder what condition it'll be in? Anyone want to bet it'll be worse than when originally sent?
I don't know but I don't understand how the seller couldn't have notice the hands hitting :shrug:
I don't recall 100%, but I think the buyer claims he noticed rub marks on he hands from when they brushed one another on passing, but I don't think he ever stated the hands clashed so badly the watch locked up.

I do remember the buyer also stating he used to be a QC super for some lab, so he inspects every watch with that same level of diligence. The buyer may be one of those guys who inspects used watches with a 10X loop and the defect wasn't noticeable without magnification? Just guessing on my part, but I do remember the QC inspection comment.

Yes, Richard was at fault for spending the watch payment money immediately and being unable to facilitate a refund quickly. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt about the rub marks on the hands, but the return issue is on him.

I still feel the lion's share of the shit sandwich belongs to the buyer who needed about 100 responses (plus PayPal) to tell him to do the right thing and return the watch once he was reimbursed.

This whole thing also makes me think "how long should one have to keep PayPal payment funds in the system prior to use?" Given the other stories we've heard, I guess the answer is 6 months.

User avatar
snootydog
Jagermaster
Posts: 8249
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:49 am
Name: Andy
Location: Littlehampton.West Sussex. England

Re: Another PayPal Nightmare (on WUS)

Post by snootydog » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:27 am

I think if I was the seller in this case, I'd be on my way to the local Police station by now. The refunded buyer has no right to keep the watch.
Andy :uj:
Image

User avatar
CGSshorty
Admin
Posts: 30845
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Re: Another PayPal Nightmare (on WUS)

Post by CGSshorty » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:41 pm

snootydog wrote:I think if I was the seller in this case, I'd be on my way to the local Police station by now.
They would tell you that this is a civil matter to be resolved in the courts.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 41548
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Another PayPal Nightmare (on WUS)

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:28 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:24 am
toxicavenger wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:30 pm
Ryeguy wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:17 pm
dinexus wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:34 pm
Mods just closed the thread. Guess they couldn't take the shitshow either. Still unresolved by the last page as well too, which is a bummer for sure.
The thread is back open.

It seems the idiot buyer just returned the watch. Richard should have it Monday.

I wonder what condition it'll be in? Anyone want to bet it'll be worse than when originally sent?
I don't know but I don't understand how the seller couldn't have notice the hands hitting :shrug:
I don't recall 100%, but I think the buyer claims he noticed rub marks on he hands from when they brushed one another on passing, but I don't think he ever stated the hands clashed so badly the watch locked up.

I do remember the buyer also stating he used to be a QC super for some lab, so he inspects every watch with that same level of diligence. The buyer may be one of those guys who inspects used watches with a 10X loop and the defect wasn't noticeable without magnification? Just guessing on my part, but I do remember the QC inspection comment.

Yes, Richard was at fault for spending the watch payment money immediately and being unable to facilitate a refund quickly. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt about the rub marks on the hands, but the return issue is on him.

I still feel the lion's share of the shit sandwich belongs to the buyer who needed about 100 responses (plus PayPal) to tell him to do the right thing and return the watch once he was reimbursed.

This whole thing also makes me think "how long should one have to keep PayPal payment funds in the system prior to use?" Given the other stories we've heard, I guess the answer is 6 months.
The sale pics from Richard show something black on the hour hand from rubbing. It isn't a 10x shot. You can see it if you look.

Richard totally fucked up by not responding and handled it incorrectly.

The Buyer fucked up by being a d-bag.

Honestly if Richard responded the first time it might not have gone this far.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by toxicavenger on Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
BacoNoir
Posts: 2025
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 6:33 pm
Name: Roger
Location: Colorado

Re: Another PayPal Nightmare (on WUS)

Post by BacoNoir » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:42 pm

Yeah, it was a simple fix. I imagine Richard wasn’t thinking right since he sold it quickly to pay for major medical bills for his dog. He spent the money immediately by his own admission and then was non-responsive when the issue was brought up. That was a compound mistake and his buyer was a dick too, so it all went nuclear fast.
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Abmw, BacoNoir, Henryj, jtbenson, logan2z, Majestic-12 [Bot], raf42 and 17 guests