A new high in low[balls]...

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
outtatime
Name: Jon

A new high in low[balls]...

Post by outtatime » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:44 am

I listed my DSOTM for sale on another forum the other day. Had a few bites and then get a PM from a zero-post user who just registered that day (Red Flag #1). I responded asking if he had done business here before/references/etc. He tells me he's with <company name> that's a watch dealer (Red Flag #2) and they have "tons of positive reviews". Oh, and he "notices I'm from Ohio and went to school/etc/etc/ there" (Red Flag #3).

I google them and find their web page. I emailed their main contact address to see if this person was indeed with them. I get a reply from their owner/president saying it is one of theirs. Their website and eBay links check out, so I PM the guy back.

He responds saying he's looking to do the deal ASAP (Red Flag #4) and gives me his phone # so I can text him more details. I do. He then asks if I'm a collector/what types of watches do I like/am I looking for anything/do I have anything else for sale (Red Flag #5). I told him I had some others I was considering listing but haven't done so yet. I purposely don't just give him a list, but for fun I mention I do have a Black Bay I'm going to be selling. Oh, good! He's definitely interested in that too! He just needs to go talk to his "pricing manager" and will give me a call later.

He calls me. Oh, good, smalltalk. What do I collect? Are there other pieces I'm looking for? Well, you see, he tells me how he's been doing this awhile and really likes the pieces I have. Do I have anything else? He'd love to make a deal for all of it. Of course, he's a dealer so he needs to "make money". So he tells me what he'll pay for the DSOTM and Black Bay.

:lol:

If I were getting even close to my asking on the DSOTM, he would effectively be giving me roughly $600 for a Black Bay ETA from an AD. I told him thanks but no thanks. Oh, he understands...but, you see, he's a dealer, so he needs to be able to make some money. If he can get both for a low price then he can "absorb" some of that into the Dark Side and still make money on the Tudor.

I'm guessing he has a good amount of experience selling Toyotas.

I politely told him I'd think about it. He said he really wanted to close the deal before EOB so I could ship them yet that day (this is about 4PM, so Red Flag #6). He texted me again this morning asking if we were ready to make the deal.

tl;dr - If you're a dealer and are going to Pawn Stars lowball someone on a watch, that's fine. But don't go hunting yourself and try to make your prey feel like you're doing them a favor.
Current
Alpina Extreme Diver 300 | Benarus Ti47 | Breitling Avenger Seawolf | Eterna KonTiki Super 1973 | Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic | Hamilton Pan Europ | IWC Aquatimer 2000 | Korsbek Oceaneer | Linde Werdelin The One 2.6 | Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre | Omega Seamaster 300 Titanium | Omega Seamaster 2531.80 | Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow | Panerai 005 | Rolex Deepsea | Steinhart Nav-B 6497 | Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military | Stowa Seatime | Zenith El Primero Stratos

Incoming

Considering
PAM 422 | AP Royal Oak 15400 Silver | Rolex Explorer II 42mm Polar | Omega PO 8500 XL

Sometimes it's easier just to watch

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Re: A new high in low[balls]...

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:10 am

The way I look at it, it is kind of like trading your car in at the dealer versus selling it outright as a private sale.

If I were a dealer, I would want to make at least a 30% per flip or it just wouldn't make sense, especially once I factored in shipping costs to the next buyer.

If the "market value" of a watch is about $2,000, I'd want to offer $1,400 so I had room to bargain, plus cover shipping, insurance, and my margin.

outtatime

Post by outtatime » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:12 am

Oh, I understand that. My point was he reached out to me and wanted to buy it wholesale. I didn’t approach him and want to trade/etc.

If I’d emailed a dealer and said I wanted to do a trade or sell I would expect a lower figure. This wasn’t that.
Current
Alpina Extreme Diver 300 | Benarus Ti47 | Breitling Avenger Seawolf | Eterna KonTiki Super 1973 | Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic | Hamilton Pan Europ | IWC Aquatimer 2000 | Korsbek Oceaneer | Linde Werdelin The One 2.6 | Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre | Omega Seamaster 300 Titanium | Omega Seamaster 2531.80 | Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow | Panerai 005 | Rolex Deepsea | Steinhart Nav-B 6497 | Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military | Stowa Seatime | Zenith El Primero Stratos

Incoming

Considering
PAM 422 | AP Royal Oak 15400 Silver | Rolex Explorer II 42mm Polar | Omega PO 8500 XL

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:26 am

These buyer/dealer folks don't really belong on the forum sales platform. We are looking for a collector to collector transaction, not a commercial transaction.
The Hapa

dinexus
Name: Zach

Post by dinexus » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:05 am

HapaHapa wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:26 am
These buyer/dealer folks don't really belong on the forum sales platform. We are looking for a collector to collector transaction, not a commercial transaction.
Agree, and that's kinda why 'Recon is largely ruined – totally clogged up with dealer listings.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:30 am

It's on par with all the WUS tire kickers wanting to do their own flips to make a few hundred dollars. Every time I list there, they come out of the woodwork with "what's your lowest price" or "Will you take $X" - usually 25-40% less than asking price. It generally pisses me off so much that when I real buyer comes along and asks lots of reasonable questions without discussing the asking price, I suspect that they are just stringing me along before offering a low ball deal. That's made me apologize to a few buyers for being short with them in my replies.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

outtatime

Post by outtatime » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:47 am

BacoNoir wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:30 am
It's on par with all the WUS tire kickers wanting to do their own flips to make a few hundred dollars. Every time I list there, they come out of the woodwork with "what's your lowest price" or "Will you take $X" - usually 25-40% less than asking price. It generally pisses me off so much that when I real buyer comes along and asks lots of reasonable questions without discussing the asking price, I suspect that they are just stringing me along before offering a low ball deal. That's made me apologize to a few buyers for being short with them in my replies.
LOL. Their "pricing director" just called me and got all used-car salesman on it with me. "Hey buddy I wanna do business with you. What do we need to do to get this done??"

I told him my bottom-line price. "Oh yeah, we're very close". Umm, ok. He then says "So, I'm assuming you know how this works?" What's that, I ask? "How you'll ship me the watch, I inspect it and then send you the money the next day"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I told him there's no way that's happening. He says "well clearly you don't know the first thing about how the watch business works", tells me to "have a nice life" and hangs up.

If anyone's interested, since he's now gone out of his way to be a dick, this is the company:

https://www.certifiedluxurywatches.com/

The dude I talked to was this guy: https://www.certifiedluxurywatches.com/ ... e-company/

David Jacobs

Current

Incoming

Considering

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:16 am

It's like a watch version of Glengarry Glen Ross.

I don't care who you are. If YOU are contacting ME about purchasing my watch, you'd better be willing to pay my asking price. Otherwise, you're not worth my time.

outtatime

Post by outtatime » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:22 am

JBZ wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:16 am

I don't care who you are. If YOU are contacting ME about purchasing my watch, you'd better be willing to pay my asking price. Otherwise, you're not worth my time.
It's basically a pawn shop finding people on the street and offering them 25 cents on the dollar for their watch.
Current

Incoming

Considering

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:23 am

I think that guy follows me on IG. Pic/name looks familiar.
:htfu:

outtatime

Post by outtatime » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:25 am

matt.wu wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:23 am
I think that guy follows me on IG. Pic/name looks familiar.
I'll bet he wants to buy your watch! :grin:

"We're close...we're real close...I want to help you out here..."
Current

Incoming

Considering

TSD
Name: Tom

Post by TSD » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:26 am

JBZ wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:16 am

Totally that. I’ve met Anthony, the owner, and seen their operation here in Boca. It’s a boiler room. :lol:

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:54 am

Jesus, what a waste of time :lol:
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:12 pm

That is crazy. There is absolutely no way I'm shipping my $XXXX dollar watch to some random guy for a "no cost inspection". Forget that.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:14 pm

I'd say you totally understood how the watch business works.

You would have shipped him the watch for that "free inspection", and once he had it, undoubtedly would have offered you even less than perhaps what was agreed upon on the phone. "Surely" he would have found something wrong to back this.

If you didn't agree to his price the real headaches would begin. I'd say you understood it just fine.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:39 pm

Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:42 pm

59yukon01 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:14 pm
I'd say you totally understood how the watch business works.

You would have shipped him the watch for that "free inspection", and once he had it, undoubtedly would have offered you even less than perhaps what was agreed upon on the phone. "Surely" he would have found something wrong to back this.

If you didn't agree to his price the real headaches would begin. I'd say you understood it just fine.
No doubt.

Fucking scammers. :nutkick:
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

ds760476
Name: Devon

Post by ds760476 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:02 pm

That “ Meet the Company” page is certainly a bunch of sketchballs. Should we start flooding them with stupid lowballs? I’d be happy to help them out by giving them $250 for their 1675.

outtatime

Post by outtatime » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:16 pm

If I hadn’t been so pissed I would have laughed at him. He literally texted me saying “I want to buy your watch” and then proceeded to lecture me on “how the business works” and get shitty when I told him I’m not shipping first. I mean, what the actual fuck??
Current

Incoming

Considering

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:31 pm

I've got to wonder if anyone actually caves in to this kind of request.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:13 pm

Ryeguy wrote:I've got to wonder if anyone actually caves in to this kind of request.
Well, from legitimate dealers that buy, I’m sure it’s not an issue. Most will ship back to you on their dime as well if you do not come to an agreement or if they find it to not be in condition you stated.

This business above, sound like a bunch of swindlers and nothing more. Snake oil salesmen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:20 pm

Ryeguy wrote:I've got to wonder if anyone actually caves in to this kind of request.
I’ve sold to everyone’s favorite “trusted seller” several times and always ship first. Pre-agreed funds are wired within an hour of the package being signed for every time, no hassle.

However, I wouldn’t ship the people described in the OP as little as a box of rocks first. Dog shit, maybe.
- Todd

outtatime

Post by outtatime » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:24 pm

Chocodove wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:20 pm
I’ve sold to everyone’s favorite “trusted seller” several times and always ship first. Pre-agreed funds are wired within an hour of the package being signed for every time, no hassle.

However, I wouldn’t ship the people described in the OP as little as a box of rocks first. Dog shit, maybe.
Yes, I’ve traded with David and have zero hesitation. But then again, he doesn’t call me up and bust my balls over a watch he wants to buy.

Having said that, I’ve axtually done several cross-shipments with forum dealers who I’ve dealt with numerous times.

I’m not saying these guys were trying to scam me, just that they are the polar opposite of someone like DSW or a few of the others. It wouldn’t surprise me if Chumlee was their watch appraiser.
Current

Incoming

Considering

dinexus
Name: Zach

Post by dinexus » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:38 am

The entitlement on these guys is just baffling. Nobody goes into a store with the expectation that if they strong-arm the cashier, they'll pay less. What a bunch of twats.

outtatime

Post by outtatime » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:47 am

I PM'd a mod over there with the info. They banned him.
Current

Incoming

Considering