why did the stainless ap diver (15710) not stick with you (or why did it)?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
jtbenson
Name: jason

Post by jtbenson » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:14 pm

as i ponder a purge, i'm also getting that creeping feeling in the back of my mind about finally trying a watch i've long been curious about, but that has always fallen by the wayside in the wake of more immediate (i.e., affordable) "distractions". the watch in question is the audemars piguet ss diver, ref 15710.

i know many here have owned this model (rob, pat, keith, wu, zack...) but very few of you seem to hold onto it. (or perhaps some of you found it a keeper and just don't post about it anymore?).

i do have a few hesitations that have kept me from pulling the trigger in the past:
1) i've read it's an absolute scratch magnet, and that the bezel tends to emphasize said scratches. not sure this would bother me too much, but...?
2) service cost relative to other brands. factored into the buying decision for sure, but bears consideration nonetheless.
3) do i really want a watch this nice to be this big and on a rubber strap? well, i rarely have occasion to wear dress watches anymore, and actually prefer rubber straps to bracelets typically, so again, as an upper end daily, this combo appeals more to my everyday attire in the end.
4) i did own an aquanaut for a bit over a year a few years back and really loved it in regular rotation. ultimately, i was hesitant to have that much invested in a single piece, so i wonder if i would feel differently now? i would need to sell a substantial number of pillars in my collection to do this, so it would drop the total count of my collection by a significant number.

so, with that context laid out, i'd love to hear from those of you who have lived with it. ultimately, what about it made it not stick? or if it did stick, please tell me all about how you're pleasantly surprised by every aspect of the piece, and reassure me that my hesitations are completely unfounded. :lol:

thanks in advance for any insights,
jtb

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Re: why did the stainless ap diver (15710) not stick with you (or why did it)?

Post by matt.wu » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:23 pm

None of the above were issues for me.
#1 - The scratches aren't a big deal as long as you keep the sharp edges, IMO.
#2 - The service cost is actually very reasonable compared to other, equally costly watches. And AP service has been excellent in my experience.
#3 - The rubber and bracelet are all you'd need on this watch, but even if you wanted options, there are aftermarket versions available now.
#4 - Well, quality or quantity is a call you have to make for yourself, but I always lean toward a smaller number of nicer pieces.

The only reason that I don't have one still is that I wanted to use the money for something else. I'd gladly own one again.

My only negative on the watch is that it doesn't wear well on smaller wrists on the rubber strap. I've always thought the 44mm ROO (26400) wears better on smaller wrists (or at least my wrist) than the 42mm versions, including the chronos and the diver.
:htfu:

tmw
Name: The Enabler

Post by tmw » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:34 pm

I also have had one - when they first came out for about a year.

My concern was the scratches, door jams, tables, etc.

But more importantly, it was an acquired taste for me. I liked it in concept, and in everyone's pics. Except on my wrist, and my pics.

The other thing was that it is a heavy beast, especially if on the bracelet.

But ultimately what did if for me, was the hype around it, and the expense to what you are getting in a "fancy diver" just didn't work for me. At this price point for a diver, it really needed to stand out - both aesthetically and technically. AP fit and finish is on a completely another level.Aesthetically, it worked and worked well, but technically, well I thought it fell short. The internal bezel was never easy to operate, time would always jump when I set it (I seem to remember pushing in the crown and setting the time was never easy without the minute hand moving).

That being said, at the right price, and the right time, I would have one. But I think that you have to want this style - above others at this price point. I would probably rather have a Deep Blue Deepsea over this. I originally traded my DSSD for the AP diver. I don't miss the AP diver. But damn, I miss the DSSD.
Stan, don’t you know the first law of physics? Anything that’s fun costs at least eight dollars”
-- Eric Cartman

“To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Sandman

I bought a cheap watch from a crazy man
Floating down canal
It doesn't use numbers or moving hands
It always just says now
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And If I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On

- Jimmy Buffett

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:40 pm

I don't own one but it's on my "one day soon" list. Have worn one a few times on the rubber strap and it felt great. Fit my 7" wrist well too.

Nellipj
Name: Patrick

Post by Nellipj » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:01 pm

While I loved the look of the Diver, I wore poorly for me. I was always between holes on the rubber strap. It was big and top heavy. Service was expensive. That was not AP’s fault, but a previous owner of the watch had someone open and work on the watch for whatever reason and it voided the warranty. I was stuck with a 3K bill. I was understandingly pissed and got rid of the watch. I would go back to AP, but I will go with the regular Royal Oak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jtbenson
Name: jason

Post by jtbenson » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:05 pm

thanks for the feedback all.
the fit question certainly gives me another point to consider, as I am notoriously in between holes for optimal fit on most straps. with a heavy head, it's even more of an issue to vet.
i'll try to get in to try one on next time i'm in chicago for work, but your insights give me plenty to consider in the interim.
as always, thanks much for the feedback.
-jtb-

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:06 pm

Never owned an AP, so I can’t speak to the diver other than to say it looks great. But one common theme with APs is that fit varies widely among the various models. Definitely try before you buy.

Compared to PP or a lot of other APs, a pre-owned diver is a relative bargain.

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:30 pm

Never owned it, but like Todd, I found it much better in concept than in reality. And it wore like a massive watch on the bracelet. Still, I would love to have one on rubber.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:21 pm

Nellipj wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:01 pm
I would go back to AP, but I will go with the regular Royal Oak.
I agonized over the decision between the Diver and the 15400. In the end I thought the 15400 would be the more versatile piece and I believe I made the right choice. But I still do love the Diver and intend to pick one up at some point.

Nellipj
Name: Patrick

Post by Nellipj » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:38 pm

logan2z wrote:
Nellipj wrote:
I agonized over the decision between the Diver and the 15400. In the end I thought the 15400 would be the more versatile piece and I believe I made the right choice. But I still do love the Diver and intend to pick one up at some point.
The 15400 is without a doubt the more versatile piece. That’s my next AP for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outtatime
Name: Jon

Post by outtatime » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:06 pm

Mine has ruined me for all other watches.
Current
Alpina Extreme Diver 300 | Benarus Ti47 | Breitling Avenger Seawolf | Eterna KonTiki Super 1973 | Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic | Hamilton Pan Europ | IWC Aquatimer 2000 | Korsbek Oceaneer | Linde Werdelin The One 2.6 | Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre | Omega Seamaster 300 Titanium | Omega Seamaster 2531.80 | Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow | Panerai 005 | Rolex Deepsea | Steinhart Nav-B 6497 | Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military | Stowa Seatime | Zenith El Primero Stratos

Incoming

Considering
PAM 422 | AP Royal Oak 15400 Silver | Rolex Explorer II 42mm Polar | Omega PO 8500 XL

Sometimes it's easier just to watch

blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Post by blkgsl » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:33 pm

I have many opinions on this - I’ve probably had 10 or 15 different variants of the Diver (and it’s boutique predecessor, the scuba). In the current collection, I have a blue scuba (my favorite watch in the world) and 3 divers (stainless blue/yellow boutique edition - it matches a couple of my cars, black/orange ceramic, and forged carbon).

A. Scratches - yes, scratch magnet. No, you should not care - because a $350 polish job will get it looking like new again. The good thing about AP is there is enough expertise out there now (due to the popularity and demand), it’s simple to address most typical daily wear. As an example, here is my 26320st - this will come out looking like new even though it looks worse than the picture suggests in person.

B. Servicing - as you said, cost of ownership. A full AP service is about $1k with polishing for the diver. And AP does a tremendous job.

C. Lots of aftermarket options now. Popularity has done AP well - I probably have 50 different offshore straps to change up, and I’m not even big on strap changes. I love my pastel colors though. If you want to KISS, all you need is the oem rubber. It’s sublime. Also - if the diver proves a little too thick for you, check out the scuba. It uses the JLC 889 base caliber, so it’s thinner and wears a little more petite. On 6.5”:

D. Rather have 5 10s than 10 5s. You’re a man of taste.

In short, do it. You won’t be disappointed. And if you don’t like it, you will always get out ok. AP is still in the process of limiting distribution - the brand equity will only increase from here.
Last edited by blkgsl on Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Post by blkgsl » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:35 pm

logan2z wrote:
Nellipj wrote:
Andrew - if you like the chunkier wrist feel with the more refined styling, check out the 26320/26331. They wear closer to the diver yet retain the exquisite look of the standard royal oak. My 26320 is worn regularly as a part of the daily rotation.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:46 pm

blkgsl wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:35 pm
logan2z wrote:
Nellipj wrote:
Andrew - if you like the chunkier wrist feel with the more refined styling, check out the 26320/26331. They wear closer to the diver yet retain the exquisite look of the standard royal oak. My 26320 is worn regularly as a part of the daily rotation.
Thanks Zack. I absolutely love the chronograph and that's another I've been considering. One concern is that the standard RO and the ROC might be too similar. I haven't tried on the 26331 yet but will check it out the next time I'm near an AP dealer - unfortunately that's getting more difficult as AP have eliminated their Bay Area ADs and there's no boutique here at the moment.