Ares Watches

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Grahamcombat
Name: Graham

Re: Ares Watches

Post by Grahamcombat » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:53 pm

I still need to execute the plan, but to be within 1% of the target goal over that amount of time feels pretty good.

AND to be able to send you guys watches that have case backs that we’re able to cut here means we come out of the gate swinging, so to speak. From the very first watch we’re delivering we’re executing the long term plan about a year early.

The 1% deviation and a year early on construction are two things I can live with.

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:55 pm

Stoked!

The Diver-1 will be on my wrist for India!!! :salute:
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

Grahamcombat

Ares Watches

Post by Grahamcombat » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:01 pm

^ Yep.

I’m dropping off the DIVER-1C two-tone tomorrow with the photographer for our web & marketing, which we should be able to start delivering within 60 days of shipping the DIVER-1s. We’ll have 50 of those available to start.

I’m also able to move forward with the full PVD version which will be carried and distributed by SOG Knives. The first “batch” will pave the way for offering a larger quantity through their global distribution network.

The GMT prototypes will be here in about 60 days as well and begin their aggressive t&e phase, and then be ready for production by fall.

TSD
Name: Tom

Post by TSD » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:02 pm

JDC222 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:55 pm
Stoked!
:salute:
:1:

nweash
Name: Nick

Ares Watches

Post by nweash » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:03 pm

Are you engraving on the case back your past employment credentials with notary seal? Asking for a friend.

Grahamcombat

Post by Grahamcombat » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:05 pm

It’ll be a microdot inside the caseback in invisible ink on flash paper using Sanskrit

manitoujoe
Name: Mark

Post by manitoujoe » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:28 pm

Grahamcombat wrote:^ Yep.

I’m dropping off the DIVER-1C two-tone tomorrow with the photographer for our web & marketing, which we should be able to start delivering within 60 days of shipping the DIVER-1s. We’ll have 50 of those available to start.

I’m also able to move forward with the full PVD version which will be carried and distributed by SOG Knives. The first “batch” will pave the way for offering a larger quantity through their global distribution network.

The GMT prototypes will be here in about 60 days as well and begin their aggressive t&e phase, and then be ready for production by fall.
Can’t wait! Love that look.
Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

Sidheguitarist
Man of many calibers.
Name: Michael

Post by Sidheguitarist » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:00 pm

That all sounds good to me. Looking forward to wearing mine for some recitals and a rough n tumble class or two starting the 1st werkend in March. Well done.

Erratic101
Name: Justyn

Post by Erratic101 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:06 pm

Grahamcombat wrote:
Will this be offered with date?

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:41 am

Grahamcombat wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:53 pm
I still need to execute the plan, but to be within 1% of the target goal over that amount of time feels pretty good.

AND to be able to send you guys watches that have case backs that we’re able to cut here means we come out of the gate swinging, so to speak. From the very first watch we’re delivering we’re executing the long term plan about a year early.

The 1% deviation and a year early on construction are two things I can live with.
Impressive work, Matt. You should be proud of the accomplishment.

The only other brand I know of which attempted something similar (a watch which blends locally sourced and remotely sourced components, utilizes local assembly and local QC) was OWC, and Dan was not nearly as successful at maintaining his project timeline as you have been (not even close).

I think you have the advantage of a good supplier network, combined with being physically located in a great place to attempt this business model (close to a watch maker's school, local to many aerospace and defense-level machinists), combined with your ability to focus 100% of your attention to project management. To your point, it is obvious this endeavor is not a hobby.

It may not be ready to pop the champagne cork yet, but a celebratory beverage for achieving this milestone is certainly in order.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:14 am

Grahamcombat wrote:It’ll be a microdot inside the caseback in invisible ink on flash paper using Sanskrit
So you’ll be tracking us to know when our collections are unguarded? Time to get a safe deposit box I guess! LOL
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

Grahamcombat

Post by Grahamcombat » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:48 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Grahamcombat wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:53 pm

Impressive work, Matt. You should be proud of the accomplishment.

The only other brand I know of which attempted something similar (a watch which blends locally sourced and remotely sourced components, utilizes local assembly and local QC) was OWC, and Dan was not nearly as successful at maintaining his project timeline as you have been (not even close).

I think you have the advantage of a good supplier network, combined with being physically located in a great place to attempt this business model (close to a watch maker's school, local to many aerospace and defense-level machinists), combined with your ability to focus 100% of your attention to project management. To your point, it is obvious this endeavor is not a hobby.

It may not be ready to pop the champagne cork yet, but a celebratory beverage for achieving this milestone is certainly in order.
Thank you, but I’m years away from thinking this is successful.

If I were just trying to make a watch I’d probably be happy, but I’m working to build a business that has a place - American hard-use mission timers - within an industry that is full of noise. I’m working to refine a clear frequency within that clutter.

Right now all I’ve done is one thing pretty well in a relatively short amount of time and what I’m focused on doing is executing all things relatively well over a long period of time.

I’m thoroughly flattered and grateful for your support and your comments, I truly am. Just like what we talked about over beers together: it means a lot to me.

But I’m also hyper-sensitive to the fact that I set out before me a twenty year path to building and operating ARES before turning it over to the next generation to run, so it’s kind of like hearing the cheers and applause at the start of a marathon. I’m focused on getting the ribbon at the end. And I’m totally aware that the finish line is going to be constantly moving, and the course changing while I’m on it, and there’ll be times when I can’t see it, and that the ribbon is just a mirage.

But I’m going to give it a hell of a run.

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:13 am

Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

erikclabaugh

Post by erikclabaugh » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:16 pm

JDC222 wrote:Image
What in the actual fuck
is that supposed to be, my
man?
Using Tapatalk

JDC222

Ares Watches

Post by JDC222 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:20 pm

erikclabaugh wrote:
What in the actual fuck
man?
Holy shit, you are such a loser. Only you would actually think that... :gayumbrella:
Winston Churchill.

mikeylacroix
Name: Mike

Post by mikeylacroix » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:05 am

JDC222 wrote:
erikclabaugh wrote:
What in the actual fuck
man?
Holy shit, you are such a loser. Only you would actually think that... :gayumbrella:
What I missed..?

stonehead887
Name: Jeremy

Post by stonehead887 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:18 am

mikeylacroix wrote:
JDC222 wrote:
erikclabaugh wrote:
What in the actual fuck
man?
What I missed..?
I think you missed some bitches bithcin' ....

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:25 am

erikclabaugh wrote:
What in the actual fuck
man?
It's what Graham wears to Trader Joe's when picking up some cheeses.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:49 am

For Erikc’s benefit:

Greek God of War.

Ares is the god of war, one of the Twelve Olympian gods and the son of Zeus and Hera. In literature Ares represents the violent and physical untamed aspect of war, which is in contrast to Athena who represents military strategy and generalship as the goddess of intelligence.
Winston Churchill.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:25 am

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:32 am

I like a good thread shitting more than most, but what kind of dipshit doesn’t know who Ares is?

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:52 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:32 am
I like a good thread shitting more than most, but what kind of dipshit doesn’t know who Ares is?
Well, in the guy's defense, that depiction of Ares kind of looks like Prince Vultan from the Flash Gordon movie.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:59 am

JBZ wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:52 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
Well, in the guy's defense, that depiction of Ares kind of looks like Prince Vultan from the Flash Gordon movie.

That actually looks a LOT like a young Matt Graham.

hidden by leaves
Name: Anthony

Post by hidden by leaves » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:43 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:59 am
JBZ wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:

No way, man. I asked around in Sky City (I used to work there), and none of the Hawkmen have even heard of Matt Graham! More lies!!! :tap:
Send lawyers, guns and money...

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:12 am

hidden by leaves wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:43 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:59 am
JBZ wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:

No way, man. I asked around in Sky City (I used to work there), and none of the Hawkmen have even heard of Matt Graham! More lies!!! :tap:
That's because he wasn't actually a Hawk Man. He just taught them how to hit with that stick.