Bee's

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Re: Bee's

Post by matt.wu » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:28 pm

sierra11b wrote:Will you be selling any? My wife has been on a tea and honey kick.

I’d trade you my hot sauce for a small jar if interested.
^ his hot sauce is great. :thumbsup:

I'd buy it in an instant. Thanks again for sharing, Eric!
:htfu:

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:31 am

matt.wu wrote:
sierra11b wrote:Will you be selling any? My wife has been on a tea and honey kick.

I’d trade you my hot sauce for a small jar if interested.
^ his hot sauce is great. :thumbsup:

I'd buy it in an instant. Thanks again for sharing, Eric!
:1: It’s good stuff for sure and is a regular in our hot sauce rotation.
- Todd

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:08 am

Thanks guys. Wish I had a ton more to give out. I’ll work on another batch this next year. It’s always a bit different as the cornucopia of peppers differs.

jk103

Post by jk103 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:11 pm

Good luck with your new hobby. I have been a beekeeper for almost ten years the first year is easy the second year not so much. You most likely will add hives but don't be mistaken it requires a lot of work. New beekeepers give it up after a couple of years once they find out the work that's involved. PM me with questions I can help you out to a point beekeeping is local what works here may not work for you. Join Beesource and check out Michael Palmers vids he is a revered beekeeper from Vermont.

I lost most of my hives over last winter because work during last summer didn't allow for me to take care of them. It's an expensive mistake. I had 45 gallons of honey last year this year only 25 gallons.
Think about it...Buy American

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:10 am

Whoa Terry, that is remarkable really !!! :clap:

Yowza, and 30lbs of honey?! :o So fun to see sir. THX !

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:14 am

jk103 wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:11 pm
Good luck with your new hobby. I have been a beekeeper for almost ten years the first year is easy the second year not so much. You most likely will add hives but don't be mistaken it requires a lot of work. New beekeepers give it up after a couple of years once they find out the work that's involved. PM me with questions I can help you out to a point beekeeping is local what works here may not work for you. Join Beesource and check out Michael Palmers vids he is a revered beekeeper from Vermont.

I lost most of my hives over last winter because work during last summer didn't allow for me to take care of them. It's an expensive mistake. I had 45 gallons of honey last year this year only 25 gallons.
Thanks for the heads up, and I keep you in mind as I go forward. I am lucky in one respect, my local Bee supply company has a seasoned apiary close to ours. So they know how the weather/pollen is in our area. Due to us being so close to Pikes Peak different parts of our city have different variations that affect your hives. For example their other apiary 10 miles south of us requires a totally different midset to get a good pull of honey.

Sorry to hear about your hives though.

I was lucky I just pulled my super last week, today it is trying to snow here. Which is super early this time of year.

My family helped out with harvesting.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bonm03HnUxd ... toxicnatos

And got the frames ready for next year
https://www.instagram.com/p/BonnzUoHstB ... toxicnatos

Kind of stressful this last week though, we had a mom bear and two of cubs keep showing up in our front yard. Luckily for us they never ventured into the back yard. 3 weeks ago though we had two full size bears walk right next to my hive and my chicken coop. We were lucky that they didn't touch anything. :pray:

Good times though. And we will keep at it as long as we can.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:16 am

AtomicTom wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:10 am

Tom it ended up being more like 13lbs. But we were hoping for 30. With a new hive they spend a lot of time building it out instead of making honey. So maybe next year it will be 30. :cheers:

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:39 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:16 am
AtomicTom wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:10 am

Tom it ended up being more like 13lbs. But we were hoping for 30. With a new hive they spend a lot of time building it out instead of making honey. So maybe next year it will be 30. :cheers:

That is still amazing when you think about it Terry ! :) 13 pounds of honey?! Neat stuff !

Definitely will be way more too like you said next year. :thumbsup: Insanely cool to hear about all of this !!!

KidKeith
Name: KidKeith

Post by KidKeith » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:24 pm

I have two hives myself. Have had a little difficulty keeping them going through the winter. We shall see this year.

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:33 pm

What's happening to the wax?

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:54 pm

We bought some of the honey and it’s fantastic! I’ve been having it on toast with almond butter in the mornings for breakfast.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:11 pm

sierra11b wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:33 pm
What's happening to the wax?
We left it on the frames so that bees don't have to start over next year and fill up the frames. That way they won't waste a few months of work building it again. :salute:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:12 pm

KidKeith wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:24 pm
I have two hives myself. Have had a little difficulty keeping them going through the winter. We shall see this year.
I put a candy board on ours and some pollen patties to see if they survive the winter.

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:26 am

There were some guys locally (in Oz) that have designed self-tapping hives. The stuff literally puts itself in the jars ;-)

https://www.honeyflow.com.au/

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:25 am

bedlam wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:26 am
There were some guys locally (in Oz) that have designed self-tapping hives. The stuff literally puts itself in the jars ;-)

https://www.honeyflow.com.au/
Yeah I have seen the flow hives. Here they aren't recommend here unless you know how to regulate how much honey are taking. Because if you don't you will starve your hive. They will either leave or die in the winter without enough honey.