The Next Watch

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
goaliechris
Name: Chris

The Next Watch

Post by goaliechris » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:07 am

Like many of you I often have several ideas for my next watch purchase and it changes pretty frequently. I think it might be interesting to have one continuous thread of “what’s next” where we could post the next target, ask questions and gather info and post updates.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Re: The Next Watch

Post by rockmastermike » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:21 am

sorta related - I've been thinking about my next move being cashing out and, for once, make a real effort at a "one watch" set up.....
at least for a little while to see how long I could make it work

goaliechris

Post by goaliechris » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:40 am

rockmastermike wrote:sorta related - I've been thinking about my next move being cashing out and, for once, make a real effort at a "one watch" set up.....
I’ve thought of that before as well. It’s tempting. I really like my two main watches (16600 and 16710) too much to sell for the grail (the 15400 right now). But I’ve thought about it a lot. What’s your one watch?

That’s what could make this thread fun - exchanging ideas and maybe even helping to make them happen. For ex., one person posts they are thinking of a Seadweller, then another replies they’ve been thinking of selling their SD.

I’m thinking of heading the other way. I’m suddenly really liking 80s Heuer and TAGs divers. Been thinking of these two. ImageImage

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:51 am

Tudor 58---ordered and just waiting..Funny, I actually have a Seaforth ( that I am going to probably sell) and new Seamaster all on order-- all 3 have been delayed... :shrug: I don't think I can be a one watch guy--more than likely 3-4....
Last edited by jimyritz on Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

The Next Watch

Post by matt.wu » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:52 am

I don't always have a serious target list, more of a bunch of watches I want to try. And then there's also a part of me that is just opportunistic in my purchases.

Right now, the only specific target I have is the IWC 3706 homage, the 3777-24. Definitely will have one.
:htfu:

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:54 am

Same list since Basel and SIHH
3706 2.0

Honeybadger

Post by Honeybadger » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:59 am

Great topic. I’m more of a lurker than a poster. That being said I love the forum and have learned a ton. I’ve always liked watches, but didn’t catch the full bug until about a year ago. With the education from here and pretty much every other source I could find my opinions and wants have changed greatly in the last year. I’ve had a Tissot T Touch Expert for about 10 years and a Citizen Diver/Chrono/Perpetual (they can really jam a lot into those can’t they ) EcoDrive for probably 15. Those two were worn heavily and I loved both, especially the Tissot.

In the last year I’ve picked up my first auto, a Deep Blue NATO 300 Pepsi - early on in the learning process - I do really love the watch it has great wrist presence and in my opinion is really a great looking watch. I also got a Lum-Tec Combat B38 (quartz with GMT). I really dig that watch too. Didn’t plan on buying one, but I was in the Cleveland area and stopped by the Lum-Tec facility. Great guys that are really passionate about their products and watches in general. I highly recommend a visit if you find yourself in the area.

Now I’ve hit the point where I want a higher end Swiss (or maybe German) piece. I’ve drooled over a lot of watches on here . My 10 year wedding anniversary is coming up and I’m thinking maybe it’s the right time. I’ve been all over the board with what I want - Speedy, a Sinn, the new Certina DS PH200 (a more frugal option), but currently it’s either a Black Pelagos or the watch that caused me to fall down the rabbit hole - a Breitling Superocean 44 Abyss with the blue second hand and accents. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to find a good one (tried on a NOS at a dealer in Turks and Caicos last year).

Sorry for the novel. Sitting in an ER waiting to get my hand X-Rayed and this is providing a great distraction to the pain and the wait!

Nellipj
Name: Patrick

Post by Nellipj » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:02 pm

Patiently waiting for my Black Bay GMT. After that, I think I’m sticking to only 1 or 2 big purchases a year. Flipping is getting old.

blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Post by blkgsl » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:03 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:52 am
I don't always have a serious Target list, more of a bunch of watches I want to try. And then there's also a part of me that is just opportunistic in my purchases.

Right now, the only specific target I have is the IWC 3706 homage, the 3777-24. Definitely will have one.
I'm the same way. For me, it's the Omega 3576.50 and perhaps a hi-beat Grand Seiko GMT (SBGJ something or other).

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:06 pm

I'm totally opportunistic it seems. I get an itch because something pops up that I see, a way to scratch it appears and i move on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

goaliechris

Post by goaliechris » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:12 pm

I wish I had a rationale most of the time as well - it’s often a whim or passing interest. Sometimes it’s hard to tell if it’s real or just a current interest. And that’s where I tend to make mistakes!

This doesn’t have to be a thread about the next “one watch” or the grail. It could just be what you want next or the next whim - whether it’s the one watch or 2-3.

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:21 pm

Speedy Ultraman. Although might not be able to make it happen. Then a BB58. Then I believe I'm done for a long time.

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:22 pm

Speedy Ultraman. Although might not be able to make it happen. Then a BB58. Then I believe I'm done for a long time.

goaliechris

Post by goaliechris » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:33 pm

dukerules wrote:Speedy Ultraman. Although might not be able to make it happen. Then a BB58. Then I believe I'm done for a long time.
That Ultraman is sweet.

tyd450
Name: Tyler

Post by tyd450 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:34 pm

I just recently got my end game diver, a pelagos lhd. Now I am looking at a similar type of watch that can fill in for the pelagos when I want something a little more dressy but still leans towards casual.
I guess a "dressier field watch" . Basically i want something like the Sinn 556 but 40mm....3 hander with a date..... A cheaper explorer if you will.....something that comes with a really comfy and robust bracelet but also looks awesome on a leather strap.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:44 pm

I've been thinking about these two:

And even maybe buying this one back:

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:45 pm

i'm kinda ok with where i am now. a couple of things that have been on my long-term radar are still there. an older nomos club dunkel and an orange doxa (still undecided on which model). don't have a strong hankering for anything specific at the moment.

there is a pastel blue seaforth incoming and a pile of $300-600 watches that need to get sold for lack of wear.

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:26 pm

I'm not really sure what's next. I thought about changing it up and listing the Ball, which I guess luckily hasn't really went anywhere since I'm having second thoughts. I used to change out, buy one and sell one every 4-6 months. I've now sold a few this year and am down to two, but I bought the Ball last November and got the SARB in December and haven't made another purchase since. Most of the sales were around the time of the Ball to fund it, so even that's been awhile.

Hell I only listed the Ball since I was thinking I wanted to change it up, but I think I'm just going a bit stir crazy not making moves.

jaw

Post by jaw » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:12 pm

In the midst of a grand consolidation here with a Datejust 41 and a Grand Seiko Spring Drive being the first to boil down from ~25 watches and old music equipment. I've begun to keep a Radar list of research for what's next after I purge more stuff.

Sea-Dweller 50th at least until I see one live (next goal)

Tudor Black Bay 41 Blue Dial - In case I get the impatient itch. But need to see the blue shade in person to be sure.

goaliechris

Post by goaliechris » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:27 pm

dukerules wrote:Speedy Ultraman. Although might not be able to make it happen. Then a BB58. Then I believe I'm done for a long time.
That Ultraman is sweet.

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:32 pm

As mentioned flipping has gotten old. I hadn’t done it in the last 30 months so have made some improvement on flipping habits.

Going either 214270 (never seen in the flesh) or 11640 GV (third attempt). :shifty:

smalls
Name: Matt

Post by smalls » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:16 pm

My list continues to grow.

Speedy Pro
BB58
Save the Ocean Turtle
Divers 65

nweash
Name: Nick

Post by nweash » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:36 pm

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:38 pm

rockmastermike wrote:sorta related - I've been thinking about my next move being cashing out and, for once, make a real effort at a "one watch" set up.....
That’s always an adventure! Do it Mike!!
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

dinexus
Name: Zach

Post by dinexus » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:00 pm

At this point, I'd be within reach with a mass sell-off for one of the usual suspects for a "one watch" collection, but they're simply too valuable to make a daily driver (Nautilus, Aquanaut, Overseas Dual Time, etc.), so I'm happier sticking with a rotation of 5 - 7 pieces that I genuinely enjoy.

Same way I could never own just a single jacket or a single pair of boots, I was never meant to be a one-watch guy, and I'm happy with that.

Oh, and I'm trimming a few fringe pieces for a Polaris at the moment.