Name: HeadDIK

Re: The Watch Steward elastic straps

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:42 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:37 pm
CGSshorty wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:17 pm
That buckle is horrendous.
My issue with the buckle (other than the writing) is the hook is fairly short. I surfed for about 90 minutes tonight with no issues, but Erika's buckle looks to have a much longer tang which seems more secure.

I'm going to wear this a bit longer before giving a final judgement. If nothing else, it makes me a bit more interested in Erika's. If nothing else, it is comfortable and doesn't stretch when wet like a NATO can. The watch head stays centered and secure on the wrist.
Chris, it looks like the curved part on this version of hardware might not bend in as much as Erika's does. But I really didn't carry for the bra clasp on the Erika version either.

I have found some natos do stretch more than others. My Rogue straps have virtually no stretch them.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:12 pm

I'm really interested in hearing your thoughts given you have experience with both straps.

On the plus side, the watch seems secure on the wrist with is strap. It's snug, but not uncomfortable and the watch head is tight to the wrist.

On the negative side, there are two layers of material under the wrist. The silver lining to the double layer is there is a layer of material between the clasp and your skin.

If someone was handy, you could modify this strap to wear it Erika style, but this is where the shorter clasp tang would make me nervous.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:19 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:12 pm
I'm really interested in hearing your thoughts given you have experience with both straps.

On the plus side, the watch seems secure on the wrist with is strap. It's snug, but not uncomfortable and the watch head is tight to the wrist.

On the negative side, there are two layers of material under the wrist. The silver lining to the double layer is there is a layer of material between the clasp and your skin.

If someone was handy, you could modify this strap to wear it Erika style, but this is where the shorter clasp tang would make me nervous.
I saw some dude on wus modded his to be like the Erika strap.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:14 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:19 pm
Ryeguy wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:12 pm

I saw some dude on wus modded his to be like the Erika strap.
I just found the thread and saw the pics of what he did. I think the modification is pretty interesting and certainly not complicated for someone to do at home. It looks like he only used rubber cement to secure the hardware. I'd go the extra step to add a few stitches using a heavy duty thread.

I still debate, however, over which design offers more security.

On the Stewart design, the watch will stay on fairly securely even if the clasp opens / unhooked accidentally. The weak link is the springbars, but I've not had a Seiko diver spring bar failure before (but I have had a bracelet clasp accidentally open).

On the modification / Erika design, you get NATO style security from spring bar failure, but the clasp becomes the potential failure point. I'd think you'd want to wear this style fairly snug so the material pulled tension to hold the clasp in place.

The hook on the Stewart is only about 3mm long. Erika's hook looks to be about 1cm long from the photos I've seen.

Ah hell, I guess I might need to send Erika $50 to check on of her's out. At least she offers 20mm widths so I'll have more watch options.

DEMO

Post by DEMO » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:45 am

CGSshorty wrote:
I DEFINITELY would not use one of these straps on my watches. IMO that buckle does not give me any confidence in it being secured to my wrist.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:02 am

Even with the clasp completely undone, the watch will not fall off the wrist. In the safety of my office I unclasped the hook and waved my arm about somewhat aggressively and the watch will not come off.

You'd have to unclasp the hook and physically pull the watch off (stretching the band material to get it over your hand).

I suspect Erika's strap might have more potential to be lost if the clasp was inadvertently released, but Erika's clasp has a longer hook.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:21 am

Well, I just spent almost $60 on one of Erika's to check out the competitive landscape.

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:11 am

i'm curious about these, but would want the 20mm he hasn't made for the "steal" blue on my incoming seaforth.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:22 am

gwells wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:11 am
i'm curious about these, but would want the 20mm he hasn't made for the "steal" blue on my incoming seaforth.
FYI - the version in my pics is the "steal" blue.

In all the photos except the last one the strap is wet (just came out of the ocean). The last photo was taken in my office this morning and is more true to the dry color of the fabric.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:17 pm

^^^Never have looked into Erika Straps, but how are these different as far as mounting goes?

I'll be interested to see your comparison, and opinion, especially for more than twice the price.

Ruggs
Name: Andrew

Post by Ruggs » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:45 pm

Ryeguy wrote:Image

Even with the clasp completely undone, the watch will not fall off the wrist. In the safety of my office I unclasped the hook and waved my arm about somewhat aggressively and the watch will not come off.

You'd have to unclasp the hook and physically pull the watch off (stretching the band material to get it over your hand).

I suspect Erika's strap might have more potential to be lost if the clasp was inadvertently released, but Erika's clasp has a longer hook.
Interesting. That’s not how I mounted the EO strap I have. I put the whole strap under the watch, like a single pass nato. I’ll take pics when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:00 pm

Ruggs wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:45 pm
Ryeguy wrote:Image

Interesting. That’s not how I mounted the EO strap I have. I put the whole strap under the watch, like a single pass nato. I’ll take pics when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, this is how the Watch Steward strap is designed to be worn.

I tried to modify the mounting procedure to run the strap under the watch head NATO style, but there is too much material. You'd need to cut about 4 inches of material off and re-sew the clasp back on.

User "Hose A" on WUS did exactly this - cutting off the Steward hardware and remounting it so the strap could be worn Erika style
image credit Hose A

image credit Hose A

Once I get Erika's in I'll do a comparison. If her design offers more security and equal comfort, I'll do the same as Hose A and mod the Steward.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:06 pm

How is this better than a regular NATO or RAF is beyond me and the cost you guys are quoting is absurd. They shouldn't cost more than a 10-12$ NATO in materials and effort. :shrug:

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:08 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:06 pm
How is this better than a regular NATO or RAF is beyond me and the cost you guys are quoting is absurd. They shouldn't cost more than a 10-12$ NATO in materials and effort. :shrug:
i still like the elastic one you made a while back :lol:
- Todd

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:14 pm

Chocodove wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:08 pm
Panerai7 wrote:
i still like the elastic one you made a while back :lol:
Yep, it was awesome and very Tacticool. I could use it as a sling shot for survival. :)

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:17 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
Well, I've gotten used to spending $20-$30 for a NATO, so the Steward at $25 is in alignment from a pricing perspective with the market.

Erika's pricing at $58 is definitely high, but people seem to really like them so who knows?

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:26 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:17 pm
Panerai7 wrote:
Well, I've gotten used to spending $20-$30 for a NATO, so the Steward at $25 is in alignment from a pricing perspective with the market.

Erika's pricing at $58 is definitely high, but people seem to really like them so who knows?
Damn, $58?. Terry you need to jump on this and make it a regular RAF with NATO hardware.
The whole French surplus parachute was $25...

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:31 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:26 pm
Ryeguy wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:

Damn, $58?. Terry you need to jump on this and make it a regular RAF with NATO hardware.
Where the hell does one purchase a French surplus parachute? :scratch:

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:33 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:31 pm
Panerai7 wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:

Military Surplus stores all over USA

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:38 pm

All the hardware is right there. Unfortunately they only come with 21mm green with yellow stripe and green with red stripe. So you have to order the rest of colors and sizes of elastic webbing designed for underwear and other purposes from China for 99 cents per 5 yards. But then it's not Marine Nationale

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:15 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:31 pm
Panerai7 wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:

All over like Art mentioned. Erika's are modified and are not original.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:23 pm

DEMO wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:45 am
CGSshorty wrote:
I DEFINITELY would not use one of these straps on my watches. IMO that buckle does not give me any confidence in it being secured to my wrist.
I’ve wear an Erika’s strap from time to time and it feels very secure. I don’t see the hook coming open and if it did the strap still won’t fall off the wrist as it is a complete loop.

substitute

Post by substitute » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:30 pm

Erika's straps are damn near perfect as a MN type in my opinion. I own two. Wish they weren't so pricey, but she deserves credit for creating a great product.

I fiddled with the WS strap some more today and managed to get it to be okay for use, but the hook is ridiculously too short, so I wouldn't be using it on something like my Black Bay (Erika MN is totally safe on it). Also I feel like I have to make the band a little too tight to compensate for the small hook to stay in by tension, so it's uncomfortable for long periods.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:27 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:38 pm
All the hardware is right there. Unfortunately they only come with 21mm green with yellow stripe and green with red stripe. So you have to order the rest of colors and sizes of elastic webbing designed for underwear and other purposes from China for 99 cents per 5 yards. But then it's not Marine Nationale
The straps look stone simple to make. It isn't like working with a more complex material such as leather.

If I could find a source for the hardware (without buying the whole parachute bag) I would consider trying my hand at making some this winter just for fun.

The Steward strap experiment has at least made me realize I like these stretchy / infinitely adjustable, straps.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:00 am

Quick update after a full weekend of wear with the Watch Steward strap.

The good: multiple surf sessions, plus just playing in the ocean with my kids and the watch stayed securely on my wrist. The material is textured enough that the watch head stays centered on the wrist. The slight tension of the elastic material lets your wrist flex and move without constriction. The lack of a layer of nylon under the watch head keeps it tight and low on the wrist.

The bad: after multiple dunks in the ocean (and fresh water rinses), I think I see traces of rust on the edges of the hardware. I'm not certain what grade of stainless The Watch Steward is using, but I'll have to watch it to make sure it doesn't get worse.

Also as an FYI - I hunted on-line for hardware to make these types of straps and found pretty much everything except the Erika style flat hooks. I also couldn't find any inexpensive French parachute bags. It seems those have been snapped up.