Ever sold a watch because of weight?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
User avatar
gwells
Posts: 6400
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 11:05 am
Name: Greg
Location: NoVA

Re: Ever sold a watch because of weight?

Post by gwells » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:37 pm

yeah, it's heavy on the bracelet. i probably don't wear it as often because of that. but it's a great tank that can take all the abuse and show no signs of it. i probably won't ever have another watch that big again, but i think it's staying in the stable despite the weight. it has heft, but doesn't feel like it wears as big as it is to me.

i've graduated a bit to slightly smaller watches in general. i like my 556i, both the halios tropik and seaforth as a good size range for me. in general, my PO 42 8500 is the biggest i'll probably go other than the U1 going forward.

User avatar
deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Posts: 9917
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:29 pm
Name: Paul

Re: Ever sold a watch because of weight?

Post by deepcdvr » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:39 pm

Love the U1 - and have had several - but weight was never an excuse to sell them. My issue was with how much my wrist changes in size during the day. Lighter watches, when loose, are easier to wear whereas the heavier ones slide down too far. The U1, when the wrist properly fills the void, is a pleasure to wear, IMO...

Fact is, though, I talk myself into every reason imaginable to sell a watch - or to buy one for that matter.. lol... and most of the reasons are complete fabrications of the twisted grey matter between my ears.
VR/
Paul

NEVER SETTLE!

User avatar
amckiwi
Posts: 1357
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:11 pm
Name: Stu

Re: Ever sold a watch because of weight?

Post by amckiwi » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:23 pm

I have an aquadive that is 332g on the bracelet
Occasionally I notice the weight but never considered selling it
The bracelet helps distribute some of the weight around the wrist I guess

User avatar
HapaHapa
Posts: 6996
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 9:57 pm
Name: Eric
Location: Redondo Beach, CA

Re: Ever sold a watch because of weight?

Post by HapaHapa » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:33 pm

Boschett Cave Dweller was a comically heavy beast. Image
The Hapa

User avatar
dnslater
Posts: 5319
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:52 pm
Name: Nick
Location: Indiana, USA

Re: Ever sold a watch because of weight?

Post by dnslater » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:09 am

HapaHapa wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:33 pm
Boschett Cave Dweller was a comically heavy beast. Image
Cave Dweller was my first boutique diver that lead me down a long and dangerous path.

User avatar
Torrid
Posts: 5505
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:43 am
Name: Heath
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Ever sold a watch because of weight?

Post by Torrid » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:42 am

Heavy watches usually get them sold pretty quick, especially since I rarely wear big watches.

User avatar
DEMO
Posts: 4229
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:41 pm
Location: The Blue Planet

Re: Ever sold a watch because of weight?

Post by DEMO » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:02 am

Nope, never had a problem with weight.

It's actually the opposite for me. I've sold watches because they felt too light weight and flimsy on my wrist.

I've been looking for a nice condition preowned U1. :whistle:
Image

User avatar
Ryeguy
Posts: 2776
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:03 pm
Name: Chris
Location: Rye

Re: Ever sold a watch because of weight?

Post by Ryeguy » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:05 am

Not weight for me, but yes to size (especially thickness). I really, really, liked my CREPAS Cayman, but it was just too thick for me to wear comfortably, especially with the domed case back. If they had made this watch with a 500 meter rating and 14mm thickness, I'd still own it.

Image

Image

Ti watches are always fun, especially after wearing a heavier watch for a few weeks. Switching from my MM300 to my Shogun is a bit of a trip.

User avatar
ericf4
(TBD) Penis
Posts: 13969
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:04 am
Contact:

Re: Ever sold a watch because of weight?

Post by ericf4 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:35 am

THis was a beast that i wish i never sold....


Image

User avatar
deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Posts: 9917
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:29 pm
Name: Paul

Re: Ever sold a watch because of weight?

Post by deepcdvr » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:37 am

ericf4 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:35 am
THis was a beast that i wish i never sold....


Image
Damn

Really like that
VR/
Paul

NEVER SETTLE!

User avatar
ericf4
(TBD) Penis
Posts: 13969
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:04 am
Contact:

Re: Ever sold a watch because of weight?

Post by ericf4 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:40 am

Thx Paul, i was a fool to sell it....now people think they are worth far more than they are and i cant justify buying one back....I want it back....BAD

User avatar
mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama
Posts: 13329
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: Ever sold a watch because of weight?

Post by mattcantwin » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:51 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:05 am

Not weight for me, but yes to size (especially thickness).
Same here.


Had a great blue dial UTS I got from Chris that was thick as a brick.


Image
Image

User avatar
four20
Posts: 2506
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:36 pm
Name: erik
Location: Maine coast

Re: Ever sold a watch because of weight?

Post by four20 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:55 am

CGSshorty wrote:
dnslater wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:48 pm
logan2z wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:56 pm
Yes. I’ve sold every U-series Sinn I’ve owned because of weight. 45mm Planet Oceans too. I loved all the larger, heavier watches I’ve owned but when something had to go it was the heavy ones first. Since I wear most of mine on nato it was an easy choice.
I don't recall having an issue with the weight of the U1. Wonder how their weight on bracelet compares?
My PO is 227 g. The U1P is 211. Both on bracelet sized for my 7.25” wrist.
That explains it. My wrists are the same size. My BB58 on bracelet weighs 135 g, about the same as a Sub. My Sbbn015 Tuna is my current largest watch and it weighs 179g.

Had no idea the big PO was such a tank. Assume this is the 8500?
Yes, mine is the 8500 XL.
Do I remember you saying the NAFT on an Angus Jubilee is almost as heavy, Chris..?

Sent from my Note8 using Tapatalk


User avatar
pbj204
Posts: 1306
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:47 am
Name: Paul
Location: New York

Re: Ever sold a watch because of weight?

Post by pbj204 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:58 am

ericf4 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:40 am
Thx Paul, i was a fool to sell it....now people think they are worth far more than they are and i cant justify buying one back....I want it back....BAD
Is it this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/273305643223

User avatar
ericf4
(TBD) Penis
Posts: 13969
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:04 am
Contact:

Re: Ever sold a watch because of weight?

Post by ericf4 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:04 am

yeah but black dial and i want a bracelet too...theres one on ebay like 5k been listed forever as the seller is nuts

User avatar
CGSshorty
Admin
Posts: 30607
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Re: Ever sold a watch because of weight?

Post by CGSshorty » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:39 am

four20 wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
dnslater wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:48 pm
logan2z wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:56 pm
Yes. I’ve sold every U-series Sinn I’ve owned because of weight. 45mm Planet Oceans too. I loved all the larger, heavier watches I’ve owned but when something had to go it was the heavy ones first. Since I wear most of mine on nato it was an easy choice.
I don't recall having an issue with the weight of the U1. Wonder how their weight on bracelet compares?
My PO is 227 g. The U1P is 211. Both on bracelet sized for my 7.25” wrist.
That explains it. My wrists are the same size. My BB58 on bracelet weighs 135 g, about the same as a Sub. My Sbbn015 Tuna is my current largest watch and it weighs 179g.

Had no idea the big PO was such a tank. Assume this is the 8500?
Yes, mine is the 8500 XL.
Do I remember you saying the NAFT on an Angus Jubilee is almost as heavy, Chris..?

Sent from my Note8 using Tapatalk
It’s up there, but not quite as heavy as those two. I’ll try to remember to weigh it tonight.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

User avatar
Knome
Posts: 1497
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:08 pm
Name: Ken
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Ever sold a watch because of weight?

Post by Knome » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:44 am

I had a Lum Tec M7 that had a full tungsten case and bracelet, it was comically heavy but wore pretty good on a strap. I ended up giving it to my brother because it was just too big and heavy.
Image

User avatar
Ruggs
Posts: 202
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:19 pm
Name: Andrew
Location: San Francisco

Re: Ever sold a watch because of weight?

Post by Ruggs » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:21 am

I’ve definitely sold watches that were too heavy or balanced poorly due to a bulging caseback. Rubber straps help a lot though. I’m a big fan of vented rubber straps on the heavies. Particularly the Seiko style ones that flare out a bit just past the lugs.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
smalls
Posts: 4983
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:02 am
Name: Matt
Location: South Carolina

Re: Ever sold a watch because of weight?

Post by smalls » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:47 pm

Geez some of those watches are huge! Still undecided on what to do. I’ll likely hold on to the U1 at least for a bit longer and make sure I want to flip before letting it go. In the meantime I’m gonna start drinking some protein shakes.

shaneotool
Posts: 313
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 1:57 pm
Name: Paul

Re: Ever sold a watch because of weight?

Post by shaneotool » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:43 pm

Find the fitted rubber strap for it - I much prefer the U1 on the rubber.
It's nice on an isofrane too.

On the bracelet it is kind of a boat anchor.

User avatar
dukerules
Posts: 13831
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Ever sold a watch because of weight?

Post by dukerules » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:11 pm

Traveling to upstate NY tomorrow for the next few days. Was planning on wearing the U1P on bracelet. Because of this thread, just threw it on a NATO. I doubt I would've noticed the weight before this thread, but I just felt that lighter would be better after thinking about it and reading this thread. As an aside, the U1 wears incredibly well on nylon. That's why, despite owning it on both Sinn rubber and the bracelet, over the last nine years, my U1s have for the most part lived on Zulus and NATOs.

User avatar
mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama
Posts: 13329
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: Ever sold a watch because of weight?

Post by mattcantwin » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:42 pm

Micah shark works well on the U1, too.


Image
Image

User avatar
nweash
Posts: 2810
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:52 pm
Name: Nick
Location: Alta Loma, CA

Re: Ever sold a watch because of weight?

Post by nweash » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:59 pm

smalls wrote:Geez some of those watches are huge! Still undecided on what to do. I’ll likely hold on to the U1 at least for a bit longer and make sure I want to flip before letting it go. In the meantime I’m gonna start drinking some protein shakes.

Can confirm after 6 years of protein shakes wrist size did not develop. \_(ツ)_/¯
Image

User avatar
CGSshorty
Admin
Posts: 30607
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Re: Ever sold a watch because of weight?

Post by CGSshorty » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:07 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
four20 wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
dnslater wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:48 pm
logan2z wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:56 pm
Yes. I’ve sold every U-series Sinn I’ve owned because of weight. 45mm Planet Oceans too. I loved all the larger, heavier watches I’ve owned but when something had to go it was the heavy ones first. Since I wear most of mine on nato it was an easy choice.
I don't recall having an issue with the weight of the U1. Wonder how their weight on bracelet compares?
My PO is 227 g. The U1P is 211. Both on bracelet sized for my 7.25” wrist.
That explains it. My wrists are the same size. My BB58 on bracelet weighs 135 g, about the same as a Sub. My Sbbn015 Tuna is my current largest watch and it weighs 179g.

Had no idea the big PO was such a tank. Assume this is the 8500?
Yes, mine is the 8500 XL.
Do I remember you saying the NAFT on an Angus Jubilee is almost as heavy, Chris..?

Sent from my Note8 using Tapatalk
It’s up there, but not quite as heavy as those two. I’ll try to remember to weigh it tonight.
The SRP on Angus Jubilee is 185 g. A lightweight compared to the U1 and PO. My SAS Sea-01 is 177 g on rubber. I can’t imagine what it weighs on the bracelet.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

User avatar
smalls
Posts: 4983
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:02 am
Name: Matt
Location: South Carolina

Re: Ever sold a watch because of weight?

Post by smalls » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:12 pm

nweash wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:59 pm
smalls wrote:Geez some of those watches are huge! Still undecided on what to do. I’ll likely hold on to the U1 at least for a bit longer and make sure I want to flip before letting it go. In the meantime I’m gonna start drinking some protein shakes.

Can confirm after 6 years of protein shakes wrist size did not develop. \_(ツ)_/¯
Dang it!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests