16610LV NOS on davidSW, are people on drugs?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Panerai7
Name: Art

Re: 16610LV NOS on davidSW, are people on drugs?

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:36 am

logan2z wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:18 am
Panerai7 wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:50 am
dinexus wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:32 am
Genuine question: is this strategy going to hurt Rolex long-term, or will it do little more than irritate watch nerds on the forums short-term?
As soon as Rolex eradicates AD's who sell to DavidSW and the likes instead of directly to people as they're supposed to, Rolex will open back up.
You can blame Rolex, the ADs or the grey market, but the real issue is the consumer who is willing to put up with this BS. If consumers said enough is enough and took their $$$ elsewhere this practice would stop.
Give them some time, it'll open back up. They just have to do this to protect the brand and kill off TRF dealers.

I personally don't like to look for a plan B if I want something in particular. It's not like I don't have other watches, I can wait instead of settling for something I don't "really" want. Example: I'm not going to abandon my spot in line for an M2 and go get a VW S4 because I got mad at BMW. I'll just wait for what I want. And if I'm standing in line for Pepsi GMT I'm not going to say fuck Rolex and get Omega or whatever with a GMT function. That's just me, YMMV
What needs to stop is while I'm standing in line for my Pepsi I don't wanna see no Davidsw selling Pepsi for 21K with all the stickers intact - that's what pisses me off.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:40 am

logan2z wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:54 am
CGSshorty wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:18 am
I'm so glad I don't have any real desire to own a Rolex. This stuff is out of hand.
+1 There are so many great watches out there that you can buy without all of this drama.
Completely true. As mentioned, the BB58 is a watch that could very place take the place of a Sub in my collection. I did enjoy my Polar Explorer II a lot, reason why I want to try a Sub. Maybe it sticks, maybe it doesn't... but believe me, part of me sometimes say "fuck the Sub, get the BB58 and bank the remaining 3k - 4k".

An Explorer I could be an option, but I think I would miss not having the timing bezel (I always need an additional "complication" or I get bored of the watch quickly).

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:43 am

Panerai7 wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:24 am
logan2z wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:00 am
Panerai7 wrote:
dinexus wrote:
Genuine question: is this strategy going to hurt Rolex long-term, or will it do little more than irritate watch nerds on the forums short-term?
As soon as Rolex eradicates AD's who sell to DavidSW and the likes instead of directly to people as they're supposed to, Rolex will open back up.
I may be showing my ignorance of the grey market here, but I thought ADs used grey market dealers primarily to get rid of inventory that they have a hard time selling, in order to make their numbers and retain their AD status. If real customers are chomping at the bit to buy Rolex watches and ADs can easily sell every piece they are allocated, then why do they need the grey market at all?
I'm sure Rolex is working on scaling down the production of unpopular models which is one of the main reasons why TRF dealers have those hard to get SS models. I was talking to my buddy Rolex AD and he says he gets several calls a day from someone offering to buy a few 36mm-no-one-wants two-tone DJ's if he lets them have a BLNR or something juicy like that.

So basically Rolex IMO is working on
1. Decreasing production of shitty models
2. Eradicating rogue AD's who sell to TRF
3. Starting to deny warranty claims if not purchased from AD
Those unpopular models are probably sold easily in other countries.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:46 am

Panerai7 wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:36 am
logan2z wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
dinexus wrote:
You can blame Rolex, the ADs or the grey market, but the real issue is the consumer who is willing to put up with this BS. If consumers said enough is enough and took their $$$ elsewhere this practice would stop.
Give them some time, it'll open back up. They just have to do this to protect the brand and kill off TRF dealers.

I personally don't like to look for a plan B if I want something in particular. It's not like I don't have other watches, I can wait instead of settling for something I don't "really" want. Example: I'm not going to abandon my spot in line for an M2 and go get a VW S4 because I got mad at BMW. I'll just wait for what I want. And if I'm standing in line for Pepsi GMT I'm not going to say fuck Rolex and get Omega or whatever with a GMT function. That's just me, YMMV
What needs to stop is while I'm standing in line for my Pepsi I don't wanna see no Davidsw selling Pepsi for 21K with all the stickers intact - that's what pisses me off.
I guess it's hard for me to understand because I don't have a burning desire to own any Rolex. Maybe if I just had to have one for whatever reason then I'd feel differently.

BTW, say FU to BMW and go buy a Porsche ;)

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:49 am

logan2z wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:29 am
JBZ wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:26 am
logan2z wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
dinexus wrote:
Again, which is why Rolex is one of the few brands that can get away with this. In most instances, people wouldn't put up with it. This is one of the few times they will (to a point).
Right, to their credit they have somehow generated a cult-like following that will do almost anything to own one of their watches. More power to them...
Personally, I trace it back to the 1980s. Rolex had always built solid watches before then, but for some reason all the Wall Street bond traders wanted TT Datejusts in the 80's (and this at a time when the Swiss watch industry was hurting due to quartz). Rolex became the luxury watch of choice. They also revamped the Daytona toward the end of that decade, and it was a massive hit. Their impressive marketing strategy has maintained their status.

Go up to anyone just about anywhere in the world and say "Rolex." They'll instantly know what you're talking about.

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:49 am

logan2z wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:46 am
Panerai7 wrote:
logan2z wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
dinexus wrote:

I guess it's hard for me to understand because I don't have a burning desire to own any Rolex. Maybe if I just had to have one for whatever reason then I'd feel differently.

LOL, there you go, so, you're standing in line for 911 GTS and it's hard to get. You A) say fuck it I'm getting a Mustang or B) I will just wait. I think you go with A :grin:

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:55 am

Panerai7 wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:49 am
logan2z wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
logan2z wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
dinexus wrote:

LOL, there you go, so, you're standing in line for 911 GTS and it's hard to get. You A) say fuck it I'm getting a Mustang or B) I will just wait. I think you go with A :grin:
No argument there. But, as you pointed out, while I'm impatiently waiting for my car I'm not going to drive past Bob's Motors and Livestock Feed and see a fleet of brand new 911 GTSs for sale at $100K over MSRP ;)

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:00 am

logan2z wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
dinexus wrote:
I may be showing my ignorance of the grey market here, but I thought ADs used grey market dealers primarily to get rid of inventory that they have a hard time selling, in order to make their numbers and retain their AD status. If real customers are chomping at the bit to buy Rolex watches and ADs can easily sell every piece they are allocated, then why do they need the grey market at all?

I think you’re both correct.

I doubt Rolex knows who DavidSW is, let alone that he’s a grey market dealer. My guess is that he’s established relationships with certain AD’s to buy their product, maybe at MSRP, and sell without causing them any trouble. This gives them bigger sales numbers and no inventory sitting. If his AD/suppliers are outside of the major population centers, then I’d think it a good strategy overall. This all said, I doubt it’ll change anytime soon.

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:07 am

logan2z wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:55 am
Panerai7 wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:49 am
logan2z wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
logan2z wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
dinexus wrote:

No argument there. But, as you pointed out, while I'm impatiently waiting for my car I'm not going to drive past Bob's Motors and Livestock Feed and see a fleet of brand new 911 GTSs for sale at $100K over MSRP ;)
Exactly :cheers: Rolex needs to kill Bob's Motors and they're working on it

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:14 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:00 am
logan2z wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
dinexus wrote:

I doubt Rolex knows who DavidSW is, let alone that he’s a grey market dealer. My guess is that he’s established relationships with certain AD’s to buy their product, maybe at MSRP, and sell without causing them any trouble. This gives them bigger sales numbers and no inventory sitting. If his AD/suppliers are outside of the major population centers, then I’d think it a good strategy overall. This all said, I doubt it’ll change anytime soon.
You'd be surprised. At the last Tudor presentation of GMT and Pepsi, I chatted with Tudor regional and asked him about grey dealers in general and them having stock before ADs. He immediately said "oh Davidsw others from TRF? We're working on it". Whatever that means their days of selling BNIB Rolex/Tudor with stickers are numbered. They can continue peddling used watches - nothing's wrong with that

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:17 am

Panerai7 wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
logan2z wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
dinexus wrote:

You'd be surprised. At the last Tudor presentation of GMT and Pepsi, I chatted with Tudor regional and asked him about grey dealers in general and them having stock before ADs. He immediately said "oh Davidsw others from TRF? We're working on it". Whatever that means their days of selling BNIB Rolex/Tudor with stickers are numbered. They can continue peddling used watches - nothing's wrong with that
Interesting.

james80
Name: James

Post by james80 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:10 pm

Chocodove wrote:
Joeprez wrote:Stuff like this makes me want to get money out from savings and buy that damn 14060m that I want now, or I might find myself just not getting one ever.
Honestly, it’s not a bad idea if it’s feasible and you really want one. The prices are never going down again IMO. If you ever need to flip it very likely won’t be an issue.
I’ve been thinking this for a while now but still find it hard to pull the trigger.

goaliechris
Name: Chris

Post by goaliechris » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:23 pm

logan2z wrote:
goaliechris wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:07 am
logan2z wrote:
goaliechris wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:26 am
logan2z wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
I'm so glad I don't have any real desire to own a Rolex. This stuff is out of hand.
+1 There are so many great watches out there that you can buy without all of this drama.
I was just thinking about this. I am on a waiting list for the new blue Deepsea (supposedly) - have been on the list since the announcement and no call yet. However, this level of watch bumps up against one of my “exit watches” - the AP 15400. I can get one of those tomorrow if I was ready. Meanwhile, I bet my name will stay in that waitlist for another 6 months or more. And a new white Daytona?? 3 years according to most. Silly.
Get the AP. Life is too short to wait years for a watch.
Enabler. :)

But yes, leaning hard that way.
I don't think you'll regret it

Off topic but that pic is killing me right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:31 pm

^^^^ That pic is awesome! The AP wasn't even on my radar and that pic has me reaching for my AMEX.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:35 pm

goaliechris wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:23 pm
logan2z wrote:
goaliechris wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:07 am
logan2z wrote:
goaliechris wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:26 am
logan2z wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
I was just thinking about this. I am on a waiting list for the new blue Deepsea (supposedly) - have been on the list since the announcement and no call yet. However, this level of watch bumps up against one of my “exit watches” - the AP 15400. I can get one of those tomorrow if I was ready. Meanwhile, I bet my name will stay in that waitlist for another 6 months or more. And a new white Daytona?? 3 years according to most. Silly.
Get the AP. Life is too short to wait years for a watch.
Enabler. :)

But yes, leaning hard that way.
I don't think you'll regret it

Off topic but that pic is killing me right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The best part is I didn't have to beg the dealer to sell it to me. For some strange reason they actually wanted to take my money ;)

jlswatch
Name: John Schneider

Post by jlswatch » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:36 pm

So many nice watches, Rolex are at the top but it's absurd all around. I wouldn't support the second hand gouging. But isn't the lack of supply a business model from Rolex? They limit the hot to force the sale of the less hot?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:49 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:17 am
Panerai7 wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
logan2z wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
dinexus wrote:

Interesting.
I’m not surprised at all. I’d bet a large lunch Rolex has purchased directly from the big TRF sellers just to to get the inside scoop.

bnabod

Post by bnabod » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:15 am

Bottom line no one really knows what is going on aside for the frenzy to get the latest on the inter web.
I know some have examples of Rolex saying they punished so and so AD for shady selling practices but I am not entirely clear a x billion dollar a year company needs to do this on a large scale.
Rolex could have jumped on the vintage market selling parts they recuperate after service or even offer old watches for new once on-a trade in basis, warranty refurb the vintage watches n and then make killer money on old watches but no they didn’t they only focus on the new stuff.
I am not convinced they are chasing grey dealers. I think they want to go upmarket or at least make us feel like they are higher than they really are to maintain brand status for the next 30 years.
They still make a mil watch a year and the economy is doing well and we have more and more people living on this earth so yeah they will sell what they make . I don’t think there is much more to it than that.

TSD
Name: Tom

Post by TSD » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:01 am

sierra11b wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:49 am
hoppyjr wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
logan2z wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
dinexus wrote:

Interesting.
I’m not surprised at all. I’d bet a large lunch Rolex has purchased directly from the big TRF sellers just to to get the inside scoop.
Just a couple weeks ago, I got a PM here from a zero count New member asking who the “grey dealer” was in S. Florida that I had posted about. Felt a little like someone was scouring our posts and phishing around.

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:45 pm

TSD wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:01 am
sierra11b wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:49 am
hoppyjr wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
logan2z wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
dinexus wrote:

Interesting.
Just a couple weeks ago, I got a PM here from a zero count New member asking who the “grey dealer” was in S. Florida that I had posted about. Felt a little like someone was scouring our posts and phishing around.
There could very well be a world map with thumbtacks and colored yarn strewn across. Maybe there isn’t but it would be next to nothing for Rolex to do that sort of research in order to put that feather in their cap. At that point start making “shame if something happened to your status” mafia calls to them all. :grin:

The entire situation is too complicated for me to understand... how a loss leader has so much influence in stores?