any datejust owners here?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
sierra11b
Name: Eric

Re: any datejust owners here?

Post by sierra11b » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:32 pm

You might have to ask yourself why datejust appeals to you? Heritage in the classic design? Because the original Datejust is 36, and as presented by Anthony, still works in it’s timeless configuration. The 41mm says datejust on the dial but it might as well be any other Rolex in its size.

Eric’s watch is beautiful but he blows through watches like tepid water on a hot summers day.
Last edited by sierra11b on Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:33 pm

I love the silver dial DJ. Kelly has quite a few DJ's he wears all the time and he loves them.

dinexus
Name: Zach

Post by dinexus » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:02 pm

JBZ wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:50 pm
DoctorC wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:45 pm
dinexus wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:27 pm
Dammit you guys, was half expecting/hoping this crowd to be more like "if watches were sex positions, the DJ would be missionary style" or something to that effect.
You say that like it's a bad thing :shrug:
It may be missionary, but it’s the best missionary you’ll ever have. Timeless, classic watch. Bulletproof, too. Every bit as tough as an explorer.
Maybe Rolex has just been marketing the DJ wrong all these years.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:42 pm

sierra11b wrote:You might have to ask yourself why datejust appeals to you? Heritage in the classic design? Because the original Datejust is 36, and as presented by Anthony, still works in it’s timeless configuration. The 41mm says datejust on the dial but it might as well be any other Rolex in its size.

Eric’s watch is beautiful but he blows through watches like tepid water on a hot summers day.
Now that's funny.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

Chronos
Name: Jim

Post by Chronos » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:06 pm

I've had my blue stainless Datejust now for 28 years and still love it. My wife had the Rolex dealer swap out the hands and face when new, something that was stopped soon afterwards IIRC. The most comfortable watch in my collection, and as stated before, can be dressed up or down.

dinexus

Post by dinexus » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:11 am

sierra11b wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:32 pm
You might have to ask yourself why datejust appeals to you? Heritage in the classic design? Because the original Datejust is 36, and as presented by Anthony, still works in it’s timeless configuration. The 41mm says datejust on the dial but it might as well be any other Rolex in its size.

I'm not sure... capability and design purity maybe? It really is a quintessentially classic piece, but I worry that so many others have made the same approximation. The ubiquity is a bit of a hurdle for me, but it's still super tempting. Guess the next step is to try on a 41mm, but no AD in the Bay Area has had any of the ss models in a hot minute. The general unavailability is, um, another hurdle I suppose. :shrug:

unsub073
Name: chris

Post by unsub073 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:23 am

If your not needing the date, take a look at the OP.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:28 am

unsub073 wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:23 am

This is what I wish Rolex would do with the modern datejust. I'd be a buyer at 39mm, no polished top lugs, and no polished center links. I'd have either an OP or an Explorer I right now if either came with a date (and, to be clear, I'm not advocating for a date on the Exp I - it's great the way it is, but I've found I need a date).

substitute

Post by substitute » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:29 pm

The DateJust is a classic. It's the Rolex my father bought in the early 80s (I remember being there, along with my mom). He had the dial changed out to blue with a service at some point maybe 10-15 years later. Then he unceremoniously traded it in for a discount on a 41mm DateJust, around the time when those were released. And it's a gaudy combo too. Man, I wish he would have told me beforehand. I'd love to have bought it from him, for better than what he probably got in trade value. He does the same thing with cars all the time.
unsub073 wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:23 am

I would own a Rolex, but never buy a new Rolex, if that makes sense... but I saw this exact Oyster Perpetual in person last week at a dealer, and spent the few days thinking "oh hell, I might actually buy a Rolex".

https://m.rolex.com/watches/oyster-perp ... -0001.html

kfalk
Old Chub
Name: Kelly

Post by kfalk » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:56 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:33 pm
I love the silver dial DJ. Kelly has quite a few DJ's he wears all the time and he loves them.
Yep T-Bar, they’re great. As mentioned can be worn with everything...well everything but crocs.

james80
Name: James

Post by james80 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:24 pm

Love mine but then that’s probably because it was my Dads. I love everything about it, the drilled lugs, the length of the hands are perfect, the markers and the acrylic make it feel warm. I wish he hadn’t thrown away (lost) the original jubilee when he got the first replacement oyster but then he didn’t think about watches the way we do.

It’s tough, it stood up to thirty plus years of 24 hour a day wear, showers, gardening, chopping wood, etc etc etc and runs almost +/-0 when worn 24 hours a day.

All that said I doubt I would have gone and bought a 1980s 36mm DJ by choice but now that I have it I can’t see my self without it and whilst I don’t subject it to wrenching on cars like he did it goes swimming and doesn’t get babied, plexi and all.

I would however consider a modern 41mm DJ but would most likely end up with an Explorer instead. I also agree with the earlier comment that the green accents kill the OP, that and the fact that I was very underwhelmed when I tried one.

dinexus

Post by dinexus » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:20 pm

james80 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:24 pm
Love mine but then that’s probably because it was my Dads. I love everything about it, the drilled lugs, the length of the hands are perfect, the markers and the acrylic make it feel warm. I wish he hadn’t thrown away (lost) the original jubilee when he got the first replacement oyster but then he didn’t think about watches the way we do.

...I would however consider a modern 41mm DJ but would most likely end up with an Explorer instead. I also agree with the earlier comment that the green accents kill the OP, that and the fact that I was very underwhelmed when I tried one.
That's super cool, and likely the romance that I was chasing as well, but I can't get over how blingy the modern DJ is, but when confronted with the OP, I was left with the same feeling as you – it's pretty underwhelming for that price point. Starting to lean back towards that Globemaster that just slipped through my hands last week.

james80
Name: James

Post by james80 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:40 pm

What about the newer black faced OP?

dinexus

Post by dinexus » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:17 am

james80 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:40 pm
What about the newer black faced OP?
Thought about the white-dialed one actually, but the new OP feels too much like you're just paying for a Rolex in name only, as there's nothing particularly special about the case, dial, or movement (hell, it's still running the older 3132) – and at that price point, I'd just be looking for more, frankly.

Bradystraps
Name: Todd

Post by Bradystraps » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:23 am

I have one on my short list as my go-to business watch. Just not sure of which model quite yet.

blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Post by blkgsl » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:59 pm

I've had a few. One of my first watches was a 36mm 116264 Turn-O-Graph, then moved onto the 41mm 116334 on oyster. I've yet to try the 126334 on jubilee.

In my experience, I thought the 116334 wore a little too large for me on a 6.5" wrist, and I did not like the girth of the bezel - I think it is too thick. Looks like the 126334 fixed this issue.

Bottom line, it's a classic and you can't go wrong with it. And if you really get tired of it, you can trade into something else easily.