David St. Hubbins

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Re: Hodinkee's "One-watch" article

Post by JBZ » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:04 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:57 am
(Also, I'm getting the cyclops removed on the 16710....)

:fro:

But I agree with what you said about the 16710 and Rolex in general. Wish I could afford one. Since I can't, it's the 16570 for me (black dial).

TSD
Name: Tom

Post by TSD » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:22 pm

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Re: Hodinkee's

Post by jeckyll » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:26 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:30 pm

I’m going with my SBDC053 as a “one watch” out of my collection.

I love my SLA017 and that is truly a contender, but it’s exclusively would make me worry about banging it up too much.

The SBDC I wear like I stole it (and the deal we got it feels almost like we did). On the bracelet I wear it to work. On the strap I wear it surfing. It has sapphire and diashield coated stainless, so it is resistant to a fair amount of abuse.

I’d also suggest my Shogun as a potential “one watch” as the Ti construction is so comfortable.

Both are all the (dive) watch anyone really needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a very cool watch. I can see it. Not "cheap" exactly but compared to some of the others, nothing you need to worry too much about. And let's not forget it looks damn good. :cheers:
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

dinexus
Name: Zach

Post by dinexus » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:48 pm

Wearing mine now.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:57 pm

Ryeguy wrote:Image

I’m going with my SBDC053 as a “one watch” out of my collection.

I love my SLA017 and that is truly a contender, but it’s exclusively would make me worry about banging it up too much.

The SBDC I wear like I stole it (and the deal we got it feels almost like we did). On the bracelet I wear it to work. On the strap I wear it surfing. It has sapphire and diashield coated stainless, so it is resistant to a fair amount of abuse.

I’d also suggest my Shogun as a potential “one watch” as the Ti construction is so comfortable.

Both are all the (dive) watch anyone really needs.

Having both of these you mention I'd have to concur. Although I'd struggle to part with my MM300, which I could definitely do as a one watch.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:06 pm

jeckyll wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:44 am
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/one-w ... picks-2018

Not a single dive watch in the mix. Bunch-a-wankers. :gayumbrella:
What do you mean no dive watch in the mix I saw this when I read it as one of the watches that could be a one watch
Tudor Black Bay GMT

jeckyll

Post by jeckyll » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:08 pm

River Rat wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:06 pm
jeckyll wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:44 am
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/one-w ... picks-2018

Not a single dive watch in the mix. Bunch-a-wankers. :gayumbrella:
What do you mean no dive watch in the mix I saw this when I read it as one of the watches that could be a one watch
Tudor Black Bay GMT
While it has a rotating bezel, I don't consider it a dive watch. For me a dive watch has minute markers on the bezel :shrug:
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

djh1201
Name: David H.

Post by djh1201 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:24 pm

Tough call, I guess I'm just not a Rolex guy. I still love this one:

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:33 pm

Joeprez wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:27 pm

Still Speedy for me, but I confess that I've never taken the Speedy to the beach (that's the PO's work, or any other beater I have at the moment.
Agreed. My Speedy has been on my wrist for at least part of almost every day for well over a year. It never gets old as I enjoy switching it up between Nato’s and the bracelet. Although I will be getting a dive bezeled companion for it this summer to share daily wear duty.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Re: Hondinkee's "One-watch" article

Post by dnslater » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:35 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:52 am
I can see Tudor GMT or Speedy being one-watch. WTF is with that girl's Cartier though :gayumbrella: :gayumbrella: :gayumbrella:
The author. She is a girl.

goaliechris
Name: Chris

Post by goaliechris » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:40 pm

matt.wu wrote:Honestly, as cliche as it is, I think 16710 is the best one-watch (also not a dive watch, sorry).

I think a one-watch needs to be 1) durable, 2) versatile, 3) interesting. And for me, one more - needs to have some sort of horological significance (interesting complications, in-house movements, storied history, etc... - at least one thing from a list like that).

16710 checks all of those boxes:

1) It'll take anything you can throw at it, and it's toughness has been proven for many, many years on many, many wrists. As an additional plus, service costs and turnaround time is very reasonable and can be had at many different locations.

2) Versatility? I'd be hard pressed to think of one more versatile. You can buy black, pepsi, or coke bezel inserts (or even root beer or brown if you wanted). You can go with jubilee or oyster, but it also looks great on NATO or even leather straps. You can wear it literally "beach to boardroom" without anyone batting an eye. Many watches claim this, but most are ridiculous.

3) Personally, I like having a couple complications in my watch - definitely a date, hopefully one more. GMT (with quick-adjust hour hand) is one of my favorites, and I actually use the 16710 bezel as a timing bezel as well. Then there's the fact that Rolex, love or hate it, has done a ton for the watch industry. The ability to mass produce high quality in-house movements consistently is amazing.

And I prefer the 5-digit Rolex bracelets (with non-dive clasps) to the modern bracelets. They're just way more comfortable for long-term and every day, every situation wear.

That’s my answer as well. I love my SD (16600) that I have had for years before I picked up a 16710 Pepsi with all 3 bezels this year. I wear the 16710 way more than the SD. Fantastic watch in all respects.

jeckyll

Re: Hondinkee's "One-watch" article

Post by jeckyll » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:53 pm

dnslater wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
I can see Tudor GMT or Speedy being one-watch. WTF is with that girl's Cartier though :gayumbrella: :gayumbrella: :gayumbrella:
They let girls wear watches and write about it? Good god what's next, will they let them vote? Image

Blah blah smrt phone

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Re: Hondinkee's

Post by Henryj » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:44 pm

jeckyll wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:53 pm
dnslater wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
They let girls wear watches and write about it? Good god what's next, will they let them vote? Image

Blah blah smrt phone
Well, they’re letting women drive in Saudi now. Word is, they’re raising holy hell with traffic patterns. They obey speed limits, stop at red lights, and stay between the lines.
If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:04 pm

16600 for me. I could do a Speedmaster, but for a one watch, I'd like a date and a bit more WR.

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:14 pm

dnslater wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:33 pm
Joeprez wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:27 pm

Still Speedy for me, but I confess that I've never taken the Speedy to the beach (that's the PO's work, or any other beater I have at the moment.
Agreed. My Speedy has been on my wrist for at least part of almost every day for well over a year. It never gets old as I enjoy switching it up between Nato’s and the bracelet. Although I will be getting a dive bezeled companion for it this summer to share daily wear duty.
+1

So hard when I've dedicated 15yrs+ of this hobby to a select five watches I can ride into the sunset with. But before I settled down I had a 16710 on SJ with Oyster and all the OEM bezels. I agree with Wu nothing can touch that watch in terms of versatility but it's unobtanium for me now. Foolish to have sold it but who knew? :shrug:

I'd like to think I'd be forced to keep two watches as my Dornbluth 99.1 is engraved with my surname and my son's birth year '13. It's a unbelievably beautiful watch in the flesh, but if it weren't engraved for my son's birth month let alone year (thank you Dirk), my flipitis would have taken over no doubt, like it did once for the Speedy. That's partially why I engraved it. :lol:

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:19 pm

I’ve“rented” a lot of under 10K watches over the years and this is still the watch I would choose over all the others. Absolutely love the straight stick sub 🤙🏾

Last edited by deepcdvr on Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

SoCal C4S
Name: RJ

Post by SoCal C4S » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:12 pm

I’m wearing mine right now. If I had to choose another, it would be a Rolex SD43...

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Re: Hondinkee's

Post by deepcdvr » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:43 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:49 am
Honestly, as cliche as it is, I think 16710 is the best one-watch (also not a dive watch, sorry).

I think a one-watch needs to be 1) durable, 2) versatile, 3) interesting. And for me, one more - needs to have some sort of horological significance (interesting complications, in-house movements, storied history, etc... - at least one thing from a list like that).

16710 checks all of those boxes:

1) It'll take anything you can throw at it, and it's toughness has been proven for many, many years on many, many wrists. As an additional plus, service costs and turnaround time is very reasonable and can be had at many different locations.

2) Versatility? I'd be hard pressed to think of one more versatile. You can buy black, pepsi, or coke bezel inserts (or even root beer or brown if you wanted). You can go with jubilee or oyster, but it also looks great on NATO or even leather straps. You can wear it literally "beach to boardroom" without anyone batting an eye. Many watches claim this, but most are ridiculous.

3) Personally, I like having a couple complications in my watch - definitely a date, hopefully one more. GMT (with quick-adjust hour hand) is one of my favorites, and I actually use the 16710 bezel as a timing bezel as well. Then there's the fact that Rolex, love or hate it, has done a ton for the watch industry. The ability to mass produce high quality in-house movements consistently is amazing.

And I prefer the 5-digit Rolex bracelets (with non-dive clasps) to the modern bracelets. They're just way more comfortable for long-term and every day, every situation wear.

Well said -wish I still had mine; the most comfortable watch I’ve owned :cheers:
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:25 pm

I like the Sinn 757 and EZM10, although the subdials might eventually bug me (and I don’t own either). I wear my Gulfman most days. Nothing in my collection speaks to me that loudly anymore. Wtf. Need to re-evaluate.
The Hapa

jeckyll

Re: Hodinkee's

Post by jeckyll » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:34 pm

HapaHapa wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:25 pm
I like the Sinn 757 and EZM10, although the subdials might eventually bug me (and I don’t own either). I wear my Gulfman most days. Nothing in my collection speaks to me that loudly anymore. Wtf. Need to re-evaluate.
Or just back away for a little while, let it be fresh again :)

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:19 pm

SBGA029

mfxr
Name: MattF

Post by mfxr » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:50 am

I have a SubC, and a 16710 and I could "One-watch" either of them.

...Just don't ask me to choose which :lol:

The only other watch I have owned that edges into this category would be the Omega PO 2500 :think:

rain_maker
Name: Fred

Post by rain_maker » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:53 am

I had a 16710 with all three bezels (black, pepsi, coke) and I wore it 3-4 times a week for about 3 years. It was a great watch ... versatile, thin, classic design/size, quick set hour. Only sold it to fund my 5513. Definitely a strong "one watch" candidate.

A 2-liner Rolex Sub is another strong candidate but for a "one watch" I'd probably choose a 14060 over the 5513 for the sapphire. An Exp 1 is also a great choice.

For a lower priced option, the Sinn 556 is also a great one...

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:06 am

What would people's cheapest 'one watch' be?

For me, probably the Shogun.