General watch talk.
jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Hodinkee's "One-watch" article

Post by jeckyll » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:44 am

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/one-w ... picks-2018

Not a single dive watch in the mix. Bunch-a-wankers. :gayumbrella:
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

jeckyll

Re: Hondinkee's "One-watch" article

Post by jeckyll » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:50 am

And FWIW, my answer is really simple. From what I own, this one is the one I'd keep because it goes with everything and I can wear it from the office, to the gym to vacation (including actual diving):

We haven't had a 'what would be your one watch' thread in a while. From what you own today, what you be the one you'd keep. And why?
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:52 am

I can see Tudor GMT or Speedy being one-watch. WTF is with that girl's Cartier though :gayumbrella: :gayumbrella: :gayumbrella:

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:00 am

As much as I like everything I currently have, if I had to choose only one it would be the 216570.

Grahamcombat
Name: Graham

Post by Grahamcombat » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:12 am

I would choose my watch

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Re: Hondinkee's

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:13 am

Grahamcombat wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:12 am
I would choose my watch ImageImage
:think: :whistle:

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:14 am

/thread
- Todd

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:16 am

Chocodove wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:14 am

/thread
Of course, one-watch only for life? SubC ND, don't even need to discuss/argue :lol:

jeckyll

Post by jeckyll » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:43 am

Panerai7 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:16 am
Chocodove wrote:

/thread
Of course, one-watch only for life? SubC ND, don't even need to discuss/argue :lol:
See, I disagree.

I wouldn't own a Rolex... so it'd still be the Oris. And yes, I realize that will not be a popular opinion ;)

MDF
Name: Mark

Post by MDF » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:47 am

Chocodove wrote:

/thread
:1:
Regards,

Mark

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Hondinkee's "One-watch" article

Post by matt.wu » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:49 am

Honestly, as cliche as it is, I think 16710 is the best one-watch (also not a dive watch, sorry).

I think a one-watch needs to be 1) durable, 2) versatile, 3) interesting. And for me, one more - needs to have some sort of horological significance (interesting complications, in-house movements, storied history, etc... - at least one thing from a list like that).

16710 checks all of those boxes:

1) It'll take anything you can throw at it, and it's toughness has been proven for many, many years on many, many wrists. As an additional plus, service costs and turnaround time is very reasonable and can be had at many different locations.

2) Versatility? I'd be hard pressed to think of one more versatile. You can buy black, pepsi, or coke bezel inserts (or even root beer or brown if you wanted). You can go with jubilee or oyster, but it also looks great on NATO or even leather straps. You can wear it literally "beach to boardroom" without anyone batting an eye. Many watches claim this, but most are ridiculous.

3) Personally, I like having a couple complications in my watch - definitely a date, hopefully one more. GMT (with quick-adjust hour hand) is one of my favorites, and I actually use the 16710 bezel as a timing bezel as well. Then there's the fact that Rolex, love or hate it, has done a ton for the watch industry. The ability to mass produce high quality in-house movements consistently is amazing.

And I prefer the 5-digit Rolex bracelets (with non-dive clasps) to the modern bracelets. They're just way more comfortable for long-term and every day, every situation wear.

:htfu:

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Re: Hondinkee's

Post by Joeprez » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:53 am

Speedy over Sub for a one watch, unless you like diving with your watch.

James' choice of the Tudor GMT seems forced, as he owns a Rolex ExpII (40mm model).
hoppyjr wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:00 am
As much as I like everything I currently have, if I had to choose only one it would be the 216570.

Always nice to see the choices of DWC bros for this kind of questions... I had than watch and preferred the Speedy and the PO over it (great fucking watch though, I want another one).
Last edited by Joeprez on Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Re: Hodinkee's "One-watch" article

Post by matt.wu » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:57 am

(Also, I'm getting the cyclops removed on the 16710....)

:fro:
:htfu:

tmw
Name: The Enabler

Post by tmw » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:00 pm

Sub.

Not sure whether sub 16610, sub 16610LV or subC 116610. It may be the LV....
Stan, don’t you know the first law of physics? Anything that’s fun costs at least eight dollars”
-- Eric Cartman

“To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Sandman

I bought a cheap watch from a crazy man
Floating down canal
It doesn't use numbers or moving hands
It always just says now
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And If I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On

- Jimmy Buffett

Ruggs
Name: Andrew

Post by Ruggs » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:00 pm

I’ve never owned a sub (little out of my range cost wise), so I can’t comment on that. But out of everything I’ve got at the moment I’d go with this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:02 pm

I would say GMT (whatever 5 or 6 digit) would be a close second for me. I'm standing in line for new Pepsi and undoubtedly will enjoy the shit out of it but over the years I tend to gravitate to time only watches +- date complication, so I will get tired of the GMT eventually with an extra hand that I will never use and it comes with a penalty of the cyclops. Of course you can get the wart removed if it's a lifetime keeper.

Bjorn, with that proprietary bracelet/lugs it's a non-starter for me. Can't even throw it on a nato once in a while. I love the dial though

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:16 pm

Is it just me or when you think about the "one watch" question the thought of "yeah but G-shocks don't count" or "I can also pair it with an SKX" comes to your mind? #itsadisease

shaneotool
Name: Paul

Post by shaneotool » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:28 pm

I've got a few potential "one watches" - speedmaster, 42mm PO, Exp II polar..

But the one I'd go with is the Pelagos. I work in a blue collar industry and live in the south. Sometimes my other watches are too nice for the situations I find myself in. The Pelagos always feels appropriate to me.

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:39 pm

Joeprez wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:16 pm
Is it just me or when you think about the "one watch" question the thought of "yeah but G-shocks don't count" or "I can also pair it with an SKX" comes to your mind? #itsadisease
This one for me. Visually interesting, WR enough for anything I'll ever do, useful complications (I can time the rice and a pork chop at the same time), day/date keeps me organized on a Sun-Wed work schedule, and the ridiculously over-engineered bracelet just makes me smile.

ImageIMG_1270 by Henry Joyce, on Flickr

And I posted this as an answer to the question because, yes. An SKX and a G don't count as not being a one watch guy. (Although an SKX could work well as a one watch itself.)
“Punishable by fine” = Legal for a price.”

alis_aquilae
Name: linus88

Post by alis_aquilae » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:53 pm

SLA017 or SBGA031

Tough callImageImage

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

jeckyll

Post by jeckyll » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:10 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:02 pm
I would say GMT (whatever 5 or 6 digit) would be a close second for me. I'm standing in line for new Pepsi and undoubtedly will enjoy the shit out of it but over the years I tend to gravitate to time only watches +- date complication, so I will get tired of the GMT eventually with an extra hand that I will never use and it comes with a penalty of the cyclops. Of course you can get the wart removed if it's a lifetime keeper.

Bjorn, with that proprietary bracelet/lugs it's a non-starter for me. Can't even throw it on a nato once in a while. I love the dial though
I totally understand Art. And I'm not suggesting it's good for anyone else. But I base my decision on what watch I put on and it just sort-of stays on my wrist for a week+. And that one does. :shrug:

And I've never wished for a different strap option either.

M@, I like that you added the 'de-cyclopsed' clarification. That's one thing I could not live with I think and one of the things that has always turned me off Rolexes. But we probably talked about that before...

jeckyll

Post by jeckyll » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:14 pm

Joeprez wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:16 pm
So, I meant _truly_ one watch. No SKX, no G-Shock. Because that may change your choices a bit.

For instance, on my motorcycling road trips, dive trips etc, my go-to has been the 009 over the last few years. Even when I had other watches along, I often just put it on and forget it as I like diving and snorkeling with it. But then a non-diver might be the 1 of 3 watches you put up here. And that really defeats the point :fro:

If I ever lost everything and had to sell all toys etc, that 009 would be my "I'm broke and can only afford a cheap watch" option. It can do everything too...

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:27 pm

jeckyll wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:14 pm

So, I meant _truly_ one watch. No SKX, no G-Shock. Because that may change your choices a bit.
Still Speedy for me, but I confess that I've never taken the Speedy to the beach (that's the PO's work, or any other beater I have at the moment).

jeckyll wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:14 pm

For instance, on my motorcycling road trips, dive trips etc, my go-to has been the 009 over the last few years. Even when I had other watches along, I often just put it on and forget it as I like diving and snorkeling with it. But then a non-diver might be the 1 of 3 watches you put up here. And that really defeats the point :fro:

If I ever lost everything and had to sell all toys etc, that 009 would be my "I'm broke and can only afford a cheap watch" option. It can do everything too...
SXK009 on bracelet would also be my choice. I should get that combo again.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:30 pm

I’m going with my SBDC053 as a “one watch” out of my collection.

I love my SLA017 and that is truly a contender, but it’s exclusively would make me worry about banging it up too much.

The SBDC I wear like I stole it (and the deal we got it feels almost like we did). On the bracelet I wear it to work. On the strap I wear it surfing. It has sapphire and diashield coated stainless, so it is resistant to a fair amount of abuse.

I’d also suggest my Shogun as a potential “one watch” as the Ti construction is so comfortable.

Both are all the (dive) watch anyone really needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erratic101
Name: Justyn

Post by Erratic101 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:39 pm

If we’re talking one watch you currently own then I’d have to go with my EZM10.
If it’s open to anything... then I really don’t know because half that shit is out of my budget. But there are quite a few I would love to try, like the ceramic Bathyscaphe, Zenith flyback, Panerai 682 (thats the small one right?)etc...