Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Bradystraps
Name: Todd

Re: nth sub

Post by Bradystraps » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:00 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:43 pm
Is this the company run by the guy who wants to fight if you say negative shit about his watches?
That’s been my experience. Got to have thick ass skin to own a Microbrand. I’ve learned a ton through the couple of years I have under my belt.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:51 pm

Americandave wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:35 am
I’ll give him this - he’s clearly listening and playing a straight bat on his replies here. The fact that he can give simple and straightforward answers makes me rethink the brand (and I do like this watch).
I totally agree. I guess what personal bugs me is the 10 paragraph relies of shit on top of it. And the fact that he seems not exactly like feedback if it is not what he he is looking for.

Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Post by Jeep99dad » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:19 am

Seppia wrote:Say what you want about the watches, but the guy is on top of things.

From WUS:

I don’t understand why the guy couldn’t reach out to NTH instead of posting to WUS.

His answer was great imo
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:43 am

I agree with Shorty. I simply do not have the patience to deal with selling to the general public.

I can barely stand it when my wife decides to do a neighborhood yard sale. I can't imagine doing it as a profession.

peterrizzo
Name: peter rizzo

Post by peterrizzo » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:00 pm

hello,

i'm a new member....i have a hard time understanding why guys are dissing someone like mean girls do in junior high school.

i'm a firm believer that what you know, you know only by direct experience. my direct experience in dealing with nth and
with doc vail personally ( he sold me a watch, once,) is that he's a stand-up guy, he's honest, and he's accountable, i also
happen to like some of his products very much ( the scorpene i love, and i'm interested in the zwaardvis, and since i
associate the color orange with the dutch, i kind of like the dutch name.)

i can't think of a watch company that makes more than a couple of watches i love. even seiko, with their huge output, well,
i'm a vintage seiko collector, but the number of seikos i own and wear is infinitessimal compared to the total output of seiko
divers...i mean, i love tunas, but i really like the 7C46-7011 most of all, and many of the others leave me cold....so i'd say,
apply your standards evenly across the board, and appreciate honest and intelligent effort at making watches wherever you
can find it.

if anyone wants to sell me a no-date zwaardvis, i'd buy it, i'd modify the case and bead blast and then love the f&@% out of
it, i'm sure. and it looks like a really nice orange...

cheers all,

peter

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:17 pm

peterrizzo wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:00 pm
hello,

i'm a new member....i have a hard time understanding why guys are dissing someone like mean girls do in junior high school.

i'm a firm believer that what you know, you know only by direct experience. my direct experience in dealing with nth and
with doc vail personally ( he sold me a watch, once,) is that he's a stand-up guy, he's honest, and he's accountable, i also
happen to like some of his products very much ( the scorpene i love, and i'm interested in the zwaardvis, and since i

i can't think of a watch company that makes more than a couple of watches i love. even seiko, with their huge output, well,
i'm a vintage seiko collector, but the number of seikos i own and wear is infinitessimal compared to the total output of seiko
divers...i mean, i love tunas, but i really like the 7C46-7011 most of all, and many of the others leave me cold....so i'd say,
apply your standards evenly across the board, and appreciate honest and intelligent effort at making watches wherever you
can find it.

if anyone wants to sell me a no-date zwaardvis, i'd buy it, i'd modify the case and bead blast and then love the f&@% out of

cheers all,

peter
Peter, thanks for your reply. You should really do some reading here before you jump to conclusions.

We give feedback on all companies here. We debate them and talk about our thoughts. They don't have to be first hand experiences only.

You should do an intro page also. :thumbsup:

skunkworks

Post by skunkworks » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:55 am

erikclabaugh wrote:Image

Guys, don’t stress the “Doc” out. He’s not really into feedback.
I tried to get my neighbor to mow my lawn, I know it's hard work and I was only going to pay him $2, but the dick wouldn't do it....

All kidding aside, he is running a business.

hoppes-no9
Name: Dan

Post by hoppes-no9 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:13 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:12 pm
I think I’d kill someone if I owned a company.
Yeah, me too.

Cops, firemen, soldiers, and retail workers. They're the real heroes. :clap:

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:16 pm

i don't disagree with any of that.

but here's the thing. it's obviously something about how he interacts with the watch buying world. you don't see these conversations with almost any other micro owner out there (maybe eddie platts?). he just seems to know how to push people's buttons. and he seems to delight in doing it. especially if he can do it in a 5000 word diatribe.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:45 pm

Exactly. Here’s how Jason at Halios does great CS even during a hectic shipping campaign.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

erikclabaugh

nth sub

Post by erikclabaugh » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:08 pm

Hit post too soon, see below...
Last edited by erikclabaugh on Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Using Tapatalk

erikclabaugh

Post by erikclabaugh » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:30 pm

peterrizzo wrote:hello,

can find it.

cheers all,

peter
I have personal experience with Doc Vail. I bought one of his lume dial Phantoms on pre-order. When it arrived, the dial color was piss yellow and not even close to the color in the promotional pics. I wore it a few times and even let him/Janis Trading repost my pics on Instagram. I didn't complain, but he misrepresented his product. I flipped it a week later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

docvail
Name: Chris Vail

Post by docvail » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:47 am

erikclabaugh wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:30 pm
I have personal experience with Doc Vail. I bought one of his lume dial Phantoms on pre-order. When it arrived, the dial color was piss yellow and not even close to the color in the promotional pics. I wore it a few times and even let him/Janis Trading repost my pics on Instagram. I didn't complain, but he misrepresented his product. I flipped it a week later.

I'm very sorry you had that experience, Erik, and that it gave you a bad impression of me and my business. If you contacted me about it at the time, I'm sorry I don't remember. I do wish I would have known about this sooner.

We started pre-orders on the Phantom using illustrations because that's all we had available. We didn't do anything to trick anyone. Just the opposite, we did our best to make the illustrations as close as possible to what the product would look like.

But the challenge with that "old radium" lume color is that it's not a standard color from Tritec, it's a custom-recipe mix, and sort of like mixing paint, even if a professional follows the same recipe every time, the appearance can vary from one batch to the next.

When we received the prototypes from our factory, I posted pics to our Facebook page, our Instagram account, our website, and the main forum thread where most of the discussion was taking place. We didn't use any filters or photoshop to doctor them at all. I always go out of my way to take pics under various lights, so people can see the watches in different conditions.

We sent an email out to all pre-order customers, with a link to the pics we posted. I'm sure someone canceled after seeing them. Someone always cancels a pre-order before we can start shipping.

I go out of my way to tell customers, if you don't like the watch when you get it, don't wear it, send it back, and I'll give you a refund, with my apologies.

It's a little late for the refund, but you still have my sincere apology. I'm very sorry you didn't like the watch. I hope you believe we didn't try to deceive you or anyone else with the early illustrations.

Be well and cheers,
Chris

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:55 pm

docvail wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:47 am
erikclabaugh wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:30 pm

I'm very sorry you had that experience, Erik, and that it gave you a bad impression of me and my business. If you contacted me about it at the time, I'm sorry I don't remember. I do wish I would have known about this sooner.

We started pre-orders on the Phantom using illustrations because that's all we had available. We didn't do anything to trick anyone. Just the opposite, we did our best to make the illustrations as close as possible to what the product would look like.

But the challenge with that "old radium" lume color is that it's not a standard color from Tritec, it's a custom-recipe mix, and sort of like mixing paint, even if a professional follows the same recipe every time, the appearance can vary from one batch to the next.

When we received the prototypes from our factory, I posted pics to our Facebook page, our Instagram account, our website, and the main forum thread where most of the discussion was taking place. We didn't use any filters or photoshop to doctor them at all. I always go out of my way to take pics under various lights, so people can see the watches in different conditions.

We sent an email out to all pre-order customers, with a link to the pics we posted. I'm sure someone canceled after seeing them. Someone always cancels a pre-order before we can start shipping.

I go out of my way to tell customers, if you don't like the watch when you get it, don't wear it, send it back, and I'll give you a refund, with my apologies.

It's a little late for the refund, but you still have my sincere apology. I'm very sorry you didn't like the watch. I hope you believe we didn't try to deceive you or anyone else with the early illustrations.

Be well and cheers,
Chris
Great reply. :cheers:

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:09 pm

That’s a pretty reasonable response. Not everything turns out as intended.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:15 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:09 pm
That’s a pretty reasonable response. Not everything turns out as intended.
I agree. It isn’t quite as good as the old Glycine CEO’s response, but still pretty good.

This is also a clear example of the reason I could never run a micro.

erikclabaugh

Post by erikclabaugh » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:14 pm

Chris,

I appreciate your thoughtful response. Well said.

With this: "if you don't like the watch when you get it, don't wear it, send it back, and I'll give you a refund, with my apologies," I have zero arguments.

That's a stand up policy.

Cheers
E

Using Tapatalk