Thoughts on Vacheron Constantin Overseas?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:23 am

Hey guys,

Ive been thinking a lot lately about wanting to get either a Patek Nautilus, AP Offshore or VC overseas. I may sell off a few pieces to make a run at one of these. I have really caught the VC bug as of late and wanted to hear if any of you have any feedback around the watch, the brand etc. I know they are one of the "Big 3" in the watch world, but frankly don't know much beyond that. Today the company I am with had our acquisition close by Adobe, so I am thinking of a bit of a gift to myself to celebrate...lol....Anything to rationalize a purchase i know.

I really like the VC's that have that textured dial like the one Mark is selling, but also like the idea of the newer versions with the display backs and quick change strap (which actually includes bracelet and 2 straps i believe).

Any feedback on these i should be aware of?

Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Re: Thoughts on Vacheron Constantin Overseas?

Post by rockmastermike » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:35 am

I've tried on a few at GTG's so my experience is limited. While it definitely looked good, I can't help to think that dust/lint/etc would gather in the corners of the bezel cut-outs. Loved the display back ones, loved the textured dials.
Lug to Lug is longer than spec due to the way the bracelet fits into the case - but if you're used to the Ingy than it would be a non-issue.

Biggest advice is buy it because you like it not because its a Big 3. If you're in a VC season then go for it.

that's all I have - good luck

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:38 am

i would love the textured dial with a display back, but i am not sure such an animal exists. Seems the newer models have flat dials w display backs. Yeah i dont care that its part of the Big 3, i just really like the look!

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:39 am

I love the VC and would have one if I could afford it.

Wear it in the shower now & then to keep the bezel cutouts clean. Problem solved.

Do it.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:42 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:39 am
I love the VC and would have one if I could afford it.

Wear it in the shower now & then to keep the bezel cutouts clean. Problem solved.

Do it.
would you let your Rolex EXP2 go for it? Tough question i know......white dial for a white dial.....thats what im trying to rationalize as to whether i sell something like that to help fund or no...Or would hopefully sell my Tudor Heritage Chrono etc toward it.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:47 am

I would. Especially if I had other nice watches. With your collection I wouldn’t hesitate to move some to get the VC.

I’d always wanted the Patek 5711 white dial, but its priced too silly for me to even dream about.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:03 am

I'm so glad I don't have any desire to own any of these bracelet-integrated watches. I personally don't agree they are top 3, maybe 3 of the top 6-8?

Denizen

Post by Denizen » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:17 am

The RO doesn't interest me...can't help you there.

If I could go back in time to 2010...I'd would have got on the wait list for a 5711 then. Always thought there was time to buy one later...didn't forsee the crazy jump in people buying just to make money. No point now of course unless you really want to wait that long.

The Overseas is an intriguing proposition now. VC has taken a dive in the last 4-5 years, but getting the bracelet and straps is a nice plus. The black would be the color I'd get...you should be able to get some discount and you'd have to because the initial depreciation is there and immediate.

RALAustin
Name: Rob

Post by RALAustin » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:38 am

Have had versions of all three. I really liked the blue VC Chrono I had a year or two ago. They are a bit bigger and heavier than the AP RO (but much smaller than the ROO) and PP. To me, the VC Chrono wears like a slightly bigger/heavier Sub C without the glidelock.

I like the look of the second gen better than the new versions, but the things that ultimately led me to sell were (1) the lack of quick adjustment in the bracelet (I am way too spoiled after the SubC, and pretty much the crazy light PP Nautilus is the only watch I will routinely wear on bracelet without a glidelock or easy link adjustment); (2) the lack of quick change and limited options on straps (the bracelet and rubber were a great one two punch and the leather was nice even though I never wore it, but it was a pain to change straps due to the screws and at some point the three options became a little boring. The new version of the VC solves the strap change issues, but not the quick adjustment and I don't like their look as much, including the date location on the new Chrono; and (3) the way the bracelet clasp wore under my wrist. The AP 15300/400 has the same issue for me in that the pushers can dig into the bottom of my wrist. The PP Nautilus is similar to the Rolex bracelet without those pushers (although the PP Aquanaut has a version of pushers that is not ideal, but not as long and sharp as the AP or VC).

There should be a bunch of comparison pics for the VC and the others in my old posts. Will see if I can find some and post them here.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:38 am

Given the insane, speculation-driven pricing of Patek, amongst those three brands I'd go AP for sure. Get yourself a classic RO in the 15400 or 15202 first. My favorite in the RO lineup is the 26400, though it's probably slightly less versatile.

VC doesn't do it for me except for some of their dress watches. I don't care for the case on the Overseas; it's always struck me a little unrefined. Personal taste though, as I know that others love it, but VC pales in comparison to the two others.
:htfu:

RALAustin
Name: Rob

Post by RALAustin » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:43 am

A couple of pics to show size differences.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:43 am

I'm with Wu. I don't know that I'd describe the VC as unrefined, but the design cues don't do it for me the way the AP's or PP's do. The last I checked, you could get a decent deal (relatively speaking) on a pre-owned 15400.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:49 am

I have the silver dial AP RO 15400st and it’s amazing. I almost bought the VC Overseas you have pictured in the OP, but when I was trying to decide between the two the Tourneau saleswoman said the white dial was discontinued - even went to a computer to “check” supposedly. She lied to try to sell me the Grey one they had in store.

The VC Overseas has a stunning bracelet/case too but as mentioned above looks like it could be a dirt magnet. That said they have not increased to the insanity pricing that the RO has. I’d strongly consider one as it has all the style of its competitors at a much lower price point.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:13 pm

I've had several opportunities to try on the latest Overseas watches and am a fan - I particularly like the chronograph. I prefer the new designs over the previous generation and really like the way the watches look/feel on the wrist. However, when it came down to it I went with the AP 15400. I preferred the AP to the three-handed Overseas and felt that the Overseas Chronograph was overpriced. I don't usually buy with resale value in mind, but I have to admit that the second-hand prices of VC watches gave me pause - they really don't hold their value as well as they should.

TLDR; I'd go for an AP. They're expensive, but they're beautiful watches with impeccable finishing and excellent CS. If budget permitted, I wouldn't hesitate to add another to the collection.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:16 pm

Who couldn't love this face? :)

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:31 pm

I agree with Matt Wu- I'd buy an AP RO.... I don't like the new VC Overseas. Great spot to be in- take your time... :thumbsup:
Last edited by jimyritz on Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shaneotool
Name: Paul

Post by shaneotool » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:32 pm

ericf4 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:23 am
Hey guys,

Ive been thinking a lot lately about wanting to get either a Patek Nautilus, AP Offshore or VC overseas. I may sell off a few pieces to make a run at one of these. I have really caught the VC bug as of late and wanted to hear if any of you have any feedback around the watch, the brand etc. I know they are one of the "Big 3" in the watch world, but frankly don't know much beyond that. Today the company I am with had our acquisition close by Adobe, so I am thinking of a bit of a gift to myself to celebrate...lol....Anything to rationalize a purchase i know.

I really like the VC's that have that textured dial like the one Mark is selling, but also like the idea of the newer versions with the display backs and quick change strap (which actually includes bracelet and 2 straps i believe).

I would get one of the other two watches on your list. I know nothing about VC or the history of the watch - but just going by your photo, it looks like a mall watch. A watch that if made by some other brand would not be given a second thought.

outtatime
Name: Jon

Post by outtatime » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:07 pm

Every time mark has one I think about getting it and then don’t.
Current
Alpina Extreme Diver 300 | Benarus Ti47 | Breitling Avenger Seawolf | Eterna KonTiki Super 1973 | Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic | Hamilton Pan Europ | IWC Aquatimer 2000 | Korsbek Oceaneer | Linde Werdelin The One 2.6 | Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre | Omega Seamaster 300 Titanium | Omega Seamaster 2531.80 | Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow | Panerai 005 | Rolex Deepsea | Steinhart Nav-B 6497 | Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military | Stowa Seatime | Zenith El Primero Stratos

Incoming

Considering
PAM 422 | AP Royal Oak 15400 Silver | Rolex Explorer II 42mm Polar | Omega PO 8500 XL

Sometimes it's easier just to watch

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:14 pm

Love the VC but If I could afford the VC overseas I probably would get something else (AP, PP) before eventually putting one in my stable. But if that's what sings to you the most it's an excellent choice.
RALAustin wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:43 am
A couple of pics to show size differences.
An exit trio for sure.

Be honest. When you put them all on the bat you had the sinking thought of smashing it against the wall... Like the unsettling feeling of jerking a car of a bridge.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:28 pm

outtatime wrote:Every time mark has one I think about getting it and then don’t.
This is the same one he sold 2 weeks ago. Lol flipped it back to him.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:38 pm

shaneotool wrote:
ericf4 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:23 am
Hey guys,

I would get one of the other two watches on your list. I know nothing about VC or the history of the watch - but just going by your photo, it looks like a mall watch. A watch that if made by some other brand would not be given a second thought.
oooh mall watch. I'm not a fan of mall watches.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:41 am

Don't mess around. If you're going to do this, go big. 15202 or Nautilus. Don't waste your time or your money on the other stuff.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:49 am

dukerules wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:41 am
Don't mess around. If you're going to do this, go big. 15202 or Nautilus. Don't waste your time or your money on the other stuff.
A lot of folks recommend the 15202 over 15400. I know the 15202 has the direct link to the original jumbo and the movement is beautiful to look at, but they're more expensive, don't have a quick set date, and don't have a seconds hand. I think I'd opt for the 15400 if I had the means.

The Nautilus on the other hand...

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:37 am

JBZ wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:49 am
dukerules wrote:
A lot of folks recommend the 15202 over 15400. I know the 15202 has the direct link to the original jumbo and the movement is beautiful to look at, but they're more expensive, don't have a quick set date, and don't have a seconds hand. I think I'd opt for the 15400 if I had the means.

The 15202 is also 39mm in diameter and wafer thin at around 8mm. I considered it before buying the 15400 but, on the wrist, it wore small and felt more like I was wearing a bracelet than a watch. They're also boutique only (so no discounts if you're going the AD route) and more difficult to come by.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:50 am

logan2z wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:37 am
JBZ wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:49 am
dukerules wrote:

The 15202 is also 39mm in diameter and wafer thin at around 8mm. I considered it before buying the 15400 but, on the wrist, it wore small and felt more like I was wearing a bracelet than a watch. They're also boutique only (so no discounts if you're going the AD route) and more difficult to come by.

OK I think im off the VC train and now going all mental over the 15202 and 15400...thx Rahul.....That 39 mm looks dope and ill bet even though the idea of 39mm is off-putting to me, it would fit well on my wrist....Also love the movement, just a beauty to look at....that said, i need a seconds hand....I cant deal with the idea of an auto watch with no moving seconds to stare at. I wonder if the 15400 would wear ok on small wrist as the bracelet won't drop straight down at the lugs, rather it flares out a bit. DAMN i love these.......