General watch talk.
matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Re: Rolex AD event - 2018 Basel content

Post by matt.wu » Thu May 24, 2018 1:03 pm

logan2z wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 12:55 pm
I might be getting cheap and curmudgeonly as I get older but I'd take the new Hamilton Khaki Field No Date over any of the watches in this thread :shrug:
:shock:

:smack:

Most of the watches are absolutely horrible with respect to their asking price, but I don't think a ton of them are objectively bad.

Okay, except maybe the pinkish hue on the Pepsi GMT. It's one of the things that held me back on the WG, and it hasn't changed in the SS.

The JLCs work for me. I'm sure I'll have one at some point once they level out to typical JLC secondhand pricing. Alarm or worldtimer for me.
:htfu:

jtbenson
Name: jason

Post by jtbenson » Thu May 24, 2018 1:11 pm

If Andrew's comment were directed to any other brand, I would assume our IT Admin's account had been hacked by JPC

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu May 24, 2018 1:29 pm

That Hamilton has piss lume. And long lugs.

It’s not pink/purple though.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Thu May 24, 2018 1:57 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 1:03 pm
logan2z wrote:
I might be getting cheap and curmudgeonly as I get older but I'd take the new Hamilton Khaki Field No Date over any of the watches in this thread :shrug:

Most of the watches are absolutely horrible with respect to their asking price, but I don't think a ton of them are objectively bad.

Okay, except maybe the pinkish hue on the Pepsi GMT. It's one of the things that held me back on the WG, and it hasn't changed in the SS.

The JLCs work for me. I'm sure I'll have one at some point once they level out to typical JLC secondhand pricing. Alarm or worldtimer for me.
I need to see the JLCs in person but they're pretty disappointing to me in photos - especially when compared to the TTP 1968. Something just seems 'off' about them. Maybe it's the oversized numerals like those on your grandma's phone :) And you know my feelings about Rolex, although I could probably own/wear an Explorer 1. But few others appeal to me and the 'pinkish hue' (there's a Seinfeld reference in there somewhere) is pretty awful.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu May 24, 2018 2:02 pm

logan2z wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 1:57 pm
matt.wu wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 1:03 pm
logan2z wrote:

I need to see the JLCs in person but they're pretty disappointing to me in photos - especially when compared to the TTP 1968. Something just seems 'off' about them. Maybe it's the oversized numerals like those on your grandma's phone :) And you know my feelings about Rolex, although I could probably own/wear an Explorer 1. But few others appeal to me and the 'pinkish hue' (there's a Seinfeld reference in there somewhere) is pretty awful.
They look cheap and goofy. They’re pretty clearly value engineered and JLC hasn’t had much experience with that.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Thu May 24, 2018 2:03 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 1:29 pm
I don't think the dimensions are much different than the IWC Mark XV that you like, although the Hamilton is a bit thinner. I have no problem with 'vintage' lume.

I have no doubt that the Rolex and JLC are 'better' watches in a horological sense, I just prefer the aesthetics of the Hamilton and would rather look down at my wrist and see it over anything in this thread. The price point is the icing on the cake.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Thu May 24, 2018 2:08 pm

jtbenson wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 1:11 pm
If Andrew's comment were directed to any other brand, I would assume our IT Admin's account had been hacked by JPC
:) He's a terrible influence.

jtbenson
Name: jason

Post by jtbenson » Thu May 24, 2018 2:48 pm

but more often than not, he's spot-on :lol:

Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Post by Jeep99dad » Thu May 24, 2018 2:53 pm

logan2z wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 1:29 pm
I don't think the dimensions are much different than the IWC Mark XV that you like, although the Hamilton is a bit thinner. I have no problem with 'vintage' lume.

I have no doubt that the Rolex and JLC are 'better' watches in a horological sense, I just prefer the aesthetics of the Hamilton and would rather look down at my wrist and see it over anything in this thread. The price point is the icing on the cake.
100% agree
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)