Rolex AD event - 2018 Basel content

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Wed May 23, 2018 4:49 pm

SafetyStop (Dave), Ajax64 (John), and I dropped in on the Rolex preview event today. The 2018 Rolex models were size & weight accurate, but were just models, not operational. There were no Tudor models present, which was disappointing as I wanted to see the Black Bay 58.

Here are my thoughts....

New Deepsea (sorry, no pics): looks very much the same as old Deepsea, but the wider bracelet makes it feel more balanced on the wrist. It’s still a big chunk of metal and you know you’re wearing it. If I were shopping for one I’d go with the new version, but I wouldn’t sell the old one to “upgrade” as I don’t see the value.

Rose Gold SkyDweller: it’s sexy, it’s $48k+, it’s for Zack. ‘Nuff said.

Oyster Perpetual: they actually had a working model for sale, black dial only as the white one hasn’t come in. I like how the dial didn’t have accent colors, the black sunburst looks nice, but it’s pretty plain. I would absolutely buy the Explorer 1 before this Oyster Perpetual....everyday and twice on Sunday.

ImageImage

GMT red/blue: they had both the white gold / blue dial / Oyster bracelet and the stainless / black dial / Jubilee bracelet. The white gold version didn’t do much for me, but I didn’t much care for the dial. The stainless one would be more my style, but I have zero desire to own one. The bezel blue color is definitely NOT the same blue as the black/blue GMT. The red/blue looks pinkish-red and the blue looks lavender, at least to me. Definitely so under store lighting. When out of direct lighting it’s more subtle, but I didn’t care for it.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

In addition, the AD had a couple other new watches I wanted to try.....

JLC Polaris: they had both the 40mm no-date on leather and the 42mm date model on rubber. Both had deployant clasps, but they have a “feature” that allows the clasp to easily detach from the strap. I didn’t care for that at all, as it seems prone to easy disconnect and major heartache. Neither model has screw crowns; the 40mm 100m and the 42mm is 200m. The internal bezel does not have any detents but moves smoothly and with some tension, but without a screw crown it’s possible to move it. I expected to like the 40mm no-date, but in person I thought it felt cheap and left me wanting. Surprisingly, the 42mm date model was actually nice in my wrist and very attractive. They managed to use restraint with the faux vintage lume, leaving it a very light color and it really works in person. The 40mm no-date was $6600 on strap, the 42mm date was $7700. Neither will come home with me.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Finally we have the new 41mm Breitling Navitimer. This is the 3-band version with sunburst grey dial. It was attractive, in a rather plain way, but the design works. The date at “6” is nice, the crown does screw down and it’s a 100m piece. The bezel is friction type with no detents, it is smooth but moved just during my quick photos. It also has a goofy 21mm lug width. Pass.

ImageImageImage

Overall, I left the store better appreciating the watches I already have. I was prepared to buy (or get on a list) if something really called to me, but nothing did. I want to love the BB58 and wait for it, but I don’t care for gold stuff and I fear it will be a bit too small, with the 41mm Omega 2254 being about the smallest watch with a bezel that I’m comfortable with. I think I need another EZM9.....

:grin:

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Re: Rolex AD event - 2018 Basel content

Post by Ryeguy » Wed May 23, 2018 4:59 pm

Are those photos of the GMT the same watch? The first few photos where the watch is a bit in shadow look really good. The photo where the watch is in the direct light looks - dare I say - garish. If you had said it was a Steinhart I would've believed you. I like the bracelet though.

I agree with both other assessments - 42mm JLC looks decent and the Breitling is an easy pass.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Wed May 23, 2018 5:02 pm

Are those photos of the GMT the same watch? The first few photos where the watch is a bit in shadow look really good. The photo where the watch is in the direct light looks - dare I say - garish. If you had said it was a Steinhart I would've believed you. I like the bracelet though.

I agree with both other assessments - 42mm JLC looks decent and the Breitling is an easy pass.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Wed May 23, 2018 5:08 pm

Ryeguy wrote:Are those photos of the GMT the same watch? The first few photos where the watch is a bit in shadow look really good. The photo where the watch is in the direct light looks - dare I say - garish. If you had said it was a Steinhart I would've believed you. I like the bracelet though.

Yes. All the blue/red GMT photos are the same watch. In directly lighting it’s not good, but it’s nice in the dark.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Wed May 23, 2018 5:09 pm

Great report Ed.
Thank God for Tudor, otherwise I would call Basel 2018 a bunch of missed opportunities, between pseudo diver from JLC and pink/purple Rolex that should be called Tab and not Pepsi

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Wed May 23, 2018 5:16 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 5:08 pm
Ryeguy wrote:Are those photos of the GMT the same watch? The first few photos where the watch is a bit in shadow look really good. The photo where the watch is in the direct light looks - dare I say - garish. If you had said it was a Steinhart I would've believed you. I like the bracelet though.

Yes. All the blue/red GMT photos are the same watch. In directly lighting it’s not good, but it’s nice in the dark.
So you're saying the new SS Pepsi is like a fat chick in bed after a couple drinks? Good copy.

Bummer on the JLC... It looks good on your wrist but still a bit cumbersome, which is what JLC does well at this price point.

As for the Navitimer, no slide rule = no navitimer. I don't get this watch. Could have been a cool reference if they did something different than their normal traditional pilot offering, but more like your Citizen Nighthawk, which is much easier to swallow at $200 if you wanted to try your hand at a slide rule watch. I recently snagged the blue one at Costco for a friend without a Costco account and it's wonderful for the price. Thinking of snagging one as well for review.
Last edited by sierra11b on Wed May 23, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Wed May 23, 2018 5:25 pm

sierra11b wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 5:08 pm

So you're saying the new SS Pepsi is like a fat chick in bed after a couple drinks? Good copy.

Bummer on the JLC... It looks good on your wrist but still a bit cumbersome, which is what JLC does well at this price point.

As for the Navitimer, no slide rule = no navitimer. I don't get this watch. Could have been a cool reference if they did something different than their normal traditional pilot offering, but more like your Citizen Nighthawk, which would be much easier to swallow at $200 if you wanted to try your hand at a slide rule watch.
Yes. I almost used the reference; “She may be good in bed, but you don’t want to see her naked.”

blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Post by blkgsl » Wed May 23, 2018 5:31 pm

I like the JLC 42mm on your wrist. That's a watch I've been wanting to check out! And for me, the blue dial Sky Dweller steel trumps all; no gold for me!

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Wed May 23, 2018 5:43 pm

I like the look of the Brietling but the friction bezel moves me off of it.
thanks for sharing

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed May 23, 2018 8:16 pm

I like the white dial OP, but do the hour markers look a little strange to anyone? It's like they're all 20% too long.

Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Post by Jeep99dad » Wed May 23, 2018 11:12 pm

The Rolex gmt is disappointing to me. The colors are a fail. I do like the OP.
The JLC no date is 41mm. It’s a good bit thinner than the 42, forgot the exact # but it’s 11.x vs 13.x... It’s well priced but like you I found the bezel action disappointing and cheapened the overall fell. The bracelet appears to use pins too I liked how it wore but i wasn’t wow’d. It’s a versatile watch.
The Breitling does nothing for me at all.
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Thu May 24, 2018 2:56 am

I think the best new GMT may be the root beer. That thing looks amazing.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Thu May 24, 2018 3:29 am

Not too much to like there. Sucks they didn’t have Tudor.

-
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

Nellipj
Name: Patrick

Post by Nellipj » Thu May 24, 2018 4:45 am

Thanks for the pics Hop, this just solidified me picking up a Batman. I want to love the Pepsi but the colors are wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu May 24, 2018 5:25 am

The colors are identical to the WG version. Are there people who haven’t seen one of those af this point?

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Thu May 24, 2018 5:25 am

Colors are awful.
Nellipj wrote:Thanks for the pics Hop, this just solidified me picking up a Batman. I want to love the Pepsi but the colors are wrong.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

Nellipj
Name: Patrick

Post by Nellipj » Thu May 24, 2018 5:31 am

JP Chestnut wrote:The colors are identical to the WG version. Are there people who haven’t seen one of those af this point?
I was hoping for a tweak in the color on the SS version.

Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Post by Jeep99dad » Thu May 24, 2018 6:14 am

I much prefer the blnr. The blue on it is awesome.
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Thu May 24, 2018 6:47 am

Nellipj wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 5:31 am
JP Chestnut wrote:The colors are identical to the WG version. Are there people who haven’t seen one of those af this point?
I was hoping for a tweak in the color on the SS version.

Precisely, hoped for a tweak.
When my turn comes up I'll go look at it of course but I just might get a proper Pepsi Tudor GMT.
Either way can't lose since SS Pepsi will fetch ridiculous amount of $ first couple of years.

gr8sw
Name: Pedro

Post by gr8sw » Thu May 24, 2018 7:15 am

have to say I'm not really impressed by any of those, they all look cheap for the big $$$ :scratch:
‘I don’t worry about a thing, 'cause I know nothing’s gonna be alright’ Mose Allison

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Thu May 24, 2018 8:51 am

Of all the pictures posted, I really think the Rolex OP and JLC 40mm are best. Sometimes simple and classic is good. That said, since neither have a date, they'd be a no go for me (I swear if I ever buy another watch without a date function, I'm kicking my own ass).

The bezel on the Breitling just looks unfinished. Like they forgot to add something before it left the factory. And the rest of it is pretty uninspiring. Of course, since Breitling made a name for itself with big, flashy, in-your-face watches, maybe I just find the concept incongruous with the brand.

I'm torn on the GMT - would need to see it IRL. It just seems like the red ceramic color hasn't been perfected yet. And, as said, the blue looks purplish - I wonder if it's truly a different color from the BLNR or if the red half of the bezel makes it appear lighter (as opposed to the black half of the BLNR).

All in all, just from the photos, I prefer the looks of the new Tudor GMT.

Mr_Pacman
Name: James

Post by Mr_Pacman » Thu May 24, 2018 9:09 am

I was at my local AD yesterday and they had the new white dial Oyster Perpetual 39mm in stock. The dial is really nice........more of a silver/white. Has a great simple look to it. If I was looking for a new watch, it would be top of my list. Too bad they didn't have the black for me to look at.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu May 24, 2018 9:24 am

JBZ wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 8:51 am
Of all the pictures posted, I really think the Rolex OP and JLC 40mm are best. Sometimes simple and classic is good. That said, since neither have a date, they'd be a no go for me (I swear if I ever buy another watch without a date function, I'm kicking my own ass).

The bezel on the Breitling just looks unfinished. Like they forgot to add something before it left the factory. And the rest of it is pretty uninspiring. Of course, since Breitling made a name for itself with big, flashy, in-your-face watches, maybe I just find the concept incongruous with the brand.

I'm torn on the GMT - would need to see it IRL. It just seems like the red ceramic color hasn't been perfected yet. And, as said, the blue looks purplish - I wonder if it's truly a different color from the BLNR or if the red half of the bezel makes it appear lighter (as opposed to the black half of the BLNR).

All in all, just from the photos, I prefer the looks of the new Tudor GMT.
It’s a different color. The blue black is a blue ceramic insert covered with black. I’m pretty sure that the red blue is a red insert half covered with blue (which is why the red is so light. You couldn’t take a dark red to a vivid blue, but you can make a washed out red purple).

smellody
Name: Christopher

Post by smellody » Thu May 24, 2018 10:11 am

Good stuff. Great reflections. Thanks for sharing.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Thu May 24, 2018 12:55 pm

I might be getting cheap and curmudgeonly as I get older but I'd take the new Hamilton Khaki Field No Date over any of the watches in this thread :shrug: