Jason Heaton Takes the new JLC Polaris Memovox Diving

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Re: Jason Heaton Takes the new JLC Polaris Memovox Diving

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu May 10, 2018 10:20 am

It’s almost like Richemont doesn’t care about making real high quality functional watches, just jewelry for rich guys...

JLC dress watch? Sure. Sport watch? Hard pass.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Thu May 10, 2018 10:22 am

JP Chestnut wrote:It’s almost like Richemont doesn’t care about making real high quality functional watches, just jewelry for rich guys...

They also care about fake vintage lume.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu May 10, 2018 10:25 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 10:22 am
JP Chestnut wrote:It’s almost like Richemont doesn’t care about making real high quality functional watches, just jewelry for rich guys...

They also care about fake vintage lume.
And huge watches.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Thu May 10, 2018 10:26 am

Grahamcombat wrote:Shouldn’t you be able to dive with a 200M rated watch?
Yes. I can’t see how it could be rated 200m and then fail so easily. If their reason for saying it’s “not recommended for diving” because the crown could be pulled out in error, then they shouldn’t have rated it 200m or they should have given it a screw crown with good seals.

The fact they didn’t shows what a crappy company they have become.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu May 10, 2018 10:27 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 10:26 am
Yes. I can’t see how it could be rated 200m and then fail so easily. If their reason for saying it’s “not recommended for diving” because the crown could be pulled out in error, then they shouldn’t have rated it 200m or they should have given it a screw crown with good seals.

Does JLC even pressure test all of their watches? The large-scale Rolex depth testing machines are amazing to see. I can't see Richemont investing the $$$ to create something like that.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Thu May 10, 2018 10:35 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 10:27 am
hoppyjr wrote:

Does JLC even pressure test all of their watches? The large-scale Rolex depth testing machines are amazing to see. I can't see Richemont investing the $$$ to create something like that.
Panerai does, I'm sure IWC does too with their divers. Heck, I swam with my NSA many times even with IWC Pilot. But they all have screwed crowns. This is a huge joke, I hope all of their Polaris Memovox and Date models flood so they would have a massive recall and come out with a proper dive watch.

bnabod

Post by bnabod » Thu May 10, 2018 10:40 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:

Not like they make over 1 million watches a year so out of their watch pool the >= 200m h2o résistent lot is surely not that extensive. One would think they they could bake it in their qc process without incurring so much stress . This is not rocket science

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu May 10, 2018 11:07 am

bnabod wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 10:40 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:

Not like they make over 1 million watches a year so out of their watch pool the >= 200m h2o résistent lot is surely not that extensive. One would think they they could bake it in their qc process without incurring so much stress . This is not rocket science
Yet... Hoedicky's watch flooded so... clearly it's beyond JLC.

gonzomantis
Name: Mike

Post by gonzomantis » Thu May 10, 2018 4:30 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 11:07 am
bnabod wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 10:40 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:

Yet... Hoedicky's watch flooded so... clearly it's beyond JLC.
He didn't say it flooded.
One morning, when I put the watch on my wrist, I went to spin the middle crown and it didn’t budge. It felt like a screw-down crown that was locked in place. Spinning it counter-clockwise, the crown turned but the timing ring didn’t respond and soon the crown itself unthreaded from the stem, dropping into my hand. Though the watch showed no sign of water ingress – fogging, moisture, or erratic movement behavior – I deduced that some saltwater had gotten past the crown tube seal and dried inside, seizing the timing ring mechanism. I have no basis for this theory other than my own past experience with seized external bezels, which can stop spinning after even couple of salty dives without good case clearance or adequate rinsing. Since my trip, I’ve sent the watch back to Jaeger-LeCoultre, and their explanation for the mishap is that I received a very early prototype, which had teething problems.
Still, poor performance for a 200m rated watch. Maybe it is only good in fresh water! :lol:

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Fri May 11, 2018 2:59 am

Grahamcombat wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 9:52 am
Shouldn’t you be able to dive with a 200M rated watch?
WR isn't specifically a great indicator of suitabiltiy for diving. G-Shocks come to mind